Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,269,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Wanda,
First, welcome to the forum.
As to churches, I suggest that you perhaps look in the religion section of the local newspaper and look at the ads. Many churches have websites now that will give you a lot of info as to youth groups, doctrine, etc.

Also, go to the biggest Christian bookstore and ask them.they should have a exhaustive knowledge of the local church options.

What muddies the waters here is that you are not new to the area, thus you know more about the local churches then one usually does when making this type of inquiry. I suggest that you pray about it and shop around on different weekends to see what fits.

I think you are starting to realize that your first post lists many things that are NOT core issues.....they are minor secondary issues. While I DO believe that doctrine IS important, and that knowing what you believe is very important, it is more important to know the difference between core issues, the beliefs that are NOT negotiable, and the secondary issues that we "see through a glass darkly".

May God lead you to where you can thrive and serve.

Frank
my view is that everything beyond the basic truth of "love your neighbour" as laid out in the gospels is the devil's handywork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Oy gevalt!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM

28 posts, read 61,353 times
THanks everyone!

Frank - yes, you are right...I have lived in Fort Myers for over 24 years - I was hoping to get some insight maybe from people who love their own churches and could give me help with finding one that fits. I have visited 5 different churches over 2 months and I guess I am just a little down about not having found one that I feel God is leading me to yet. I know it will come. Thanks.

Pool_ready - LOL! I know right? But that is because preterism is not something that most churches embrace. But the PCA church does accept partial pret so I will prolly go that route. That is exciting that you are moving here soon! I pray that your move is uneventful (best kind!) and smooth and takes place quickly!

Kroeran - very interesting background, thanks for sharing! I actually grew up in rural pennsylvania and even attended a Mennonite HS for one year before moving down here to florida. So, I totally completely get the whole "pious yet not religious" aspect! I am glad you broke free from that...I am not sure if you are saying you are attending a catholic church now or where you are in your journey but I can pretty assuredly say I wont be trying catholicsm...I got enough problems! LOL But thanks for your prayers...

blessings, and again thank you for your comments. Wanda

Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 AM

interesting that Preterism originated with the Catholics.

No, I am not Catholic. Just human, trying to figure out this strange life we are given. I love all the churches and synagogues and temples and philosophers too much to pick just one.

My current area of focused curiosity at this particular time is this bunch

The Monroe Institute

who are actually very active in SWF.

I will repeat however, everything beyond the basic message of loving your neighbour is a game of ego.

Pay attention when you come across individuals who you would like to emulate, then trace back the source of what they have, that you don't have.

In my experience, this traceback often leads to the older institutions and cultures of Catholicism and Judaism.

Most people who start out with protestantism or evangelical churches eventually outgrow these mental or emotional approaches, and fall away, or it is not taken up by their children.

A sad part of their teaching systems is to build in hatred toward Catholicism (or Judaism), which takes a more experiential/behaviorial approach.

My view is that we should each spend a few years absorbing what wisdom we can from each spiritual perspective and build our own personal religion. Prejudice against any one source is risky.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Kroeran - thanks for the detailed reply and the link to the monroe institute. I did check it out and don't think it is something that I am interested in but I can certainly appreciate the value of it for some people.

I rest in knowing that I am a sinner and I have a saviour that has already saved me. I don't need to connect with my inner awareness because I recognize that it is not about me, my thougths, my works, my anything but all about Him who elected to make me one of His children before the world began.

As a full preterist I also rest in the fact that Christ has made me righteous already because He did what He said He was gonna do when He said He would do it...in that generation. We are now in the new covenant and so we are not held to the chains of the old covenant. We are truly free. So, while I totally get that some people are searching for more or deeper understanding I only need to go to scriptures for all the truth I need.

I do thank you though for your continued correspondence and do welcome any thoughts on ministries or places of worship here in the Lee County area. Blessings! Wanda

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
This thread is quickly looking like it is a better fit in the Christianity forum.....but I will leave it in hopes that some locals who might read this will suggest local churches for Wanda.

While I personally enjoy discussing doctrine, let's try to get back on the topic of "Looking for a place to worship"..........

Frank

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 PM

TMI is actually about learning how to have out of body experiences, and coming into direct knowledge that we are more than our physical bodies, using science-based technology.

They are shy about talking about it directly. A number of people involved with it were connected to the CIA remote viewing activity.

I still haven't figured out if they are a bunch of crackpots or not.

I would not recommend this to anyone. Was just explaining my particular area of interest at this time.

An ideal candidate for this group would be someone who has of some sort experiential approach to spirituality as opposed to a faith or mental or emotional approach, and has an interest in spiritualism/mediumship, or who has had a paranormal experience or an attraction to this subject.

for example, a keen interest in John Edward Cross Country (or Crossing Over) is a "gateway drug" to this sort of thing

When I talk about this sort of thing, my evangelical relatives say something along the lines of "we will pray for you"

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
TMI is actually about learning how to have out of body experiences, and coming into direct knowledge that we are more than our physical bodies, using science-based technology.

They are shy about talking about it directly. A number of people involved with it were connected to the CIA remote viewing activity.

I still haven't figured out if they are a bunch of crackpots or not.

I would not recommend this to anyone. Was just explaining my particular area of interest at this time.

An ideal candidate for this group would be someone who has of some sort experiential approach to spirituality as opposed to a faith or mental or emotional approach, and has an interest in spiritualism/mediumship, or who has had a paranormal experience or an attraction to this subject.

for example, a keen interest in John Edward Cross Country (or Crossing Over) is a "gateway drug" to this sort of thing

When I talk about this sort of thing, my evangelical relatives say something along the lines of "we will pray for you"
This has got to be one of the best posts on city-data. Period. I'd rep you but "they" say I've given you too much rep points, already!

Wanda, all I could suggest is going over to the Unitarian Universalist church. Christian, Jewish, atheist, etc. All are welcome. The emphasis is on social justice and community support.

Unitarian Universalist Church of Fort Myers

Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Hey there Hiknapster - thanks for the link! I will check out the site more tomorrow as my internet connection today (housesitting on fmb) is spotty. I have to say I am intrigued by the "non creedal congregation" - wow...I most certainly will look into this. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses...keep em coming! I will refrain from the doctrinal discussion as per our mod's request! Is there a christian forum section for THIS area? Or just the main one?

Thanks! Blessings, Wanda

Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
Just the main one Wanda.

FWIW, I think that you are a person who knows what you believe and would not be happy with an a "Believe anything you want" doctrinal stance.

Good luck in your search. Remember, church is a place to get fed, renewed, recharged.......and a place to serve others with your gifts. I personally attend a church where I do not agree with a few minor secondary issues, but it's a great place with great contemporary worship music, great teaching, and many activities. I give and get there, and for now it is my place.

Hopefully in 526 days when I can move to Florida I'll find a place like I have now.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area