Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times

Advertisements

To qualify for the property tax homestead exemption do both husband and wife have to be Florida residents if the home is in joint ownership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
No. Although my husband had lived and worked here longer than me, he had never gotten a permanent Florida license. They would not let him claim the exemption, so I got the Homestead Exemption just in my name at first. After all his legal procedures were taken care of (about a month), his name was put on it also.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
No. Although my husband had lived and worked here longer than me, he had never gotten a permanent Florida license. They would not let him claim the exemption, so I got the Homestead Exemption just in my name at first. After all his legal procedures were taken care of (about a month), his name was put on it also.
Which gets me wondering (scheming)......

Let's say my wife decided to live in Florida 6+ months a year and I lived in SC 6+ months. Could we possibily get away with claiming a Homestead Exemption in both states? The two properties are in both our names.....

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
You might able to, if you both lived in different states. If your wife lives, works, and gets a Florida license, and you keep your SC legal residence and license, she can probably get the Homestead Exemption just in her name. After all, they let me take it in just my name when we owned the property jointly.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,218 times
Default Cape coral docks

Does anyone know a good place to buy a power lift at a good price along with installation in se cape coral. I just bought a townhouse with a 30 foot dock and I need a used or new lift installed for my go fast boat. The lift would need to be 10,000 lb. Thanks Steve

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Right now we are both perminant residents of NJ. That will change once we sell our home here. We will then have our townhouse in SC and a condo in FL. It sure would be nice to get a property tax break with both properties.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
I'm going to try to explain this not sure if it makes sense..... If you have 2 people on the deed but only one applies for homestead then the exemption is $25k. If you have 2 people on the deed and both apply for homestead then the deduction is $50k. If you only have one person on deed and they apply they get the 50k.... you cannot claim homestead exemption in 2 different states simultaneously as one would be fraudulent and they do enforce it.

So if you wanted to maximize you would have to have the deed in just your name get the 50k have wife keep her residence in sc and then would probably work out... but check with south carolina if they would lower their exemption if only 1/2 the grantees are homestead.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:55 PM

nhkev:

Thanks. Makes sense. We, it would seem, would be better off determining which state offers the better exemption and both reside there for the required period each year.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Thanks. I will wait for the wife to come down and change her license and residence too before applying.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I'm going to try to explain this not sure if it makes sense..... If you have 2 people on the deed but only one applies for homestead then the exemption is $25k. If you have 2 people on the deed and both apply for homestead then the deduction is $50k. If you only have one person on deed and they apply they get the 50k.... you cannot claim homestead exemption in 2 different states simultaneously as one would be fraudulent and they do enforce it.

So if you wanted to maximize you would have to have the deed in just your name get the 50k have wife keep her residence in sc and then would probably work out... but check with south carolina if they would lower their exemption if only 1/2 the grantees are homestead.
I agree. You can't claim homestead in two states. Especially if you are both on the deeds. One of the states WILL find out and you could face tax evasion prosecution (but most likely would just be slapped with a huge fine and past tax liability)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area