Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 05:06 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Well I don't use any fertilizers are on my grass. The few trees I have get fertilized once or twice a year and that's it. The less I mess with the grass in the winter, the less I have to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Again for the 100th time, Red Tide is naturally occurring, and it has been since before civilized humans lived in Florida. Spanish explorers wrote about it in the mid 1600's...before cars, lawn fertizers, storm runoff, septic tanks, phosphate mines, Sugar fields, or livestock ranches.

We could move every human out of Florida, and the Red Tide would still come back.

Scientists do say that human activity adds nutrients to the seas, and that worsens the natural Red Tide outbreaks, but by how much? I have yet to see any study's about that. Draining Lake O into the seas seems insane to me, and I wish that would stop. I'd like to see the Sugar, and Phosphate industry move away from Florida, but that's not going to happen. I'd like to see new septic tanks outlawed, but that is not likely either.

I'm writing this post so people will not think Red Tide is man-made. Humans can make it worse, but we dont know precisely how, or how much each possible cause ranks.

Let's keep this in perspective while taking all reasonable steps possible, w/in our reach, to mitigate it...if we even can.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
No one has had a rebuttal to sourbottom’s latest comment.
Sweetrebuttal? Almost beginning to think 'she' is a troll or at least someone that has a very empty life and always looking for the next greener pasture.

As for fertilizing, doesn't the purple pipe water come with it's own 'nutrients'? One thing you can do is get soil sample kits from either online or your local County Extension office. Rather than blasting 13-13-13 everywhere, you might only need a little of something.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 AM

13 posts, read 23,299 times
It is very hot here for a few months. Last summer I was down for a while and for a few days it was hotter up in NJ than it was in Cape Coral. The winters here IMO makeup for the few months of high heat.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:04 PM

297 posts, read 509,123 times
Sometimes the best response is no response. Folks that follow this forum do not take those posts serious. Troll, unhappy person what ever.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
Sometimes the best response is no response. Folks that follow this forum do not take those posts serious. Troll, unhappy person what ever.
Agreed!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Sorry if my point or purpose were misunderstood. I look forward to the heat. My feeling is that three months of heat and humidity in Florida is not much worse than two months of heat and humidity in NJ. Hot and humid is hot and humid no matter where you are.

I plan to be very happy in Florida no matter when we are there.

As far as the NJ house, I am hoping my son and his new bride decide to buy it from us.
An update 2018: Out son and DIL did purchase our house in Brick but recently sold it. My wife decided she does not like our Florida condo due to a heavy footed neighbor right above us (I should have purchased an third/top floor unit). Therefore our oldest daughter is now living in the Naples condo and paying all the expenses.

I miss Naples!

Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Again for the 100th time, Red Tide is naturally occurring, and it has been since before civilized humans lived in Florida. Spanish explorers wrote about it in the mid 1600's...before cars, lawn fertizers, storm runoff, septic tanks, phosphate mines, Sugar fields, or livestock ranches.

We could move every human out of Florida, and the Red Tide would still come back.

Scientists do say that human activity adds nutrients to the seas, and that worsens the natural Red Tide outbreaks, but by how much? I have yet to see any study's about that. Draining Lake O into the seas seems insane to me, and I wish that would stop. I'd like to see the Sugar, and Phosphate industry move away from Florida, but that's not going to happen. I'd like to see new septic tanks outlawed, but that is not likely either.

I'm writing this post so people will not think Red Tide is man-made. Humans can make it worse, but we dont know precisely how, or how much each possible cause ranks.

Let's keep this in perspective while taking all reasonable steps possible, w/in our reach, to mitigate it...if we even can.
Scientists do believe that ocean warming and nutrient pollution contribute to red tide perseverance and increased severity. Read through this thread.

Red Tide that bad???

Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cape Coral View Post
It is very hot here for a few months. Last summer I was down for a while and for a few days it was hotter up in NJ than it was in Cape Coral. The winters here IMO makeup for the few months of high heat.

A few months? It's more like 6. Yes, sometimes NJ or NY have higher temps that we do however it is not for months and months. However our weather from November-April make it worth it to live here IMO.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,111 times
Default South Florida is HOT HOT HOT

I've lived year round in FLA since 1978, on both the east coast (Broward County) and west coast (Lee County). Recently started spending summers in Ohio, where I'm from originally. There are summer days in Ohio (or even a couple of weeks) that rival the heat of a south Florida summer. The main difference is that the heat in Florida is relentless once it starts in the spring. Our A/C ran 24/7 for at least 6 months of the year, and honestly, more like 7 or 8 months. In Ohio a 90+ degree day will cool off some at nightfall, and won't last all summer. Not in south FLA. Expect that sticky, sluggish, breathtaking heat to be your constant companion when outdoors in Florida from May to October. P.S. Watch that sun. After all those years in the FLA sun/heat, I've been diagnosed with all 3 types of skin cancer, including melanoma. I'm gonna be okay though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area