Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM

29 posts, read 57,474 times

Advertisements

reccommend a builder in Lee county?

While from reviewing many of the threads here, we realize many are preoccupied with demeaning the place and flogging it to death, there are some of us who are interested in actually (re)building.
We dont buy into the "chicken-little" phenom, and actually happy to see the weak retreat.

A group of us are interested in building homes in the Cape and would like to speak with a highly reccommended builder or trades.
We will be apart of the few who will help with the rebirth of this beautiful City.

Thanks.

Last edited by sheldoncreek; 04-22-2010 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,856,771 times
You aren't going to be helping with much. Home prices are on the rise, and the inventory of this wave of foreclosures is dwindling from where it was. I foresee another wave on the market in the next 6-9 months, but nothing like the initial was.

As far as builders, google the cape coral parade of homes.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,088,708 times
when I was looking into building I really liked PAUL HOMES they had interesting exteriors that were not cookie cutter and their finish detail was excellent. They made it through the recession without going bankrupt so they were probably pretty good businessmen. They have a model home on Ceitus Blvd on the southwest/northwest line off of pine island rd. Their homes also seemed to keep a lot of their value. The worst I saw at the peak of the downfall was a $235k short sale.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,615 times
I would talk to Stock Development to see if you could use their unique Casita and Townhouse designs that they are using in Paseo and Ole and have them build turnkey for you.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You aren't going to be helping with much. Home prices are on the rise, and the inventory of this wave of foreclosures is dwindling from where it was. I foresee another wave on the market in the next 6-9 months, but nothing like the initial was.

As far as builders, google the cape coral parade of homes.
maybe its on the rise becuse people like us been buying up these homes since last year
..and yes we know home prices are rising, at least one home I bought was accessed by the county for twice what I paid for it.
Every investment made early last year is accessed for more, and I tested the market on one property and had multiple offers. (Watch out for those Canucks and that strong loonie )

Nonetheless, there is still work to be done.
Now its time to start building again.

Let the chiken-littles run for the hills.. more for us to enjoy.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldoncreek View Post
maybe its on the rise becuse people like us been buying up these homes since last year
..and yes we know home prices are rising, at least one home I bought was accessed by the county for twice what I paid for it.
Every investment made early last year is accessed for more, and I tested the market on one property and had multiple offers. (Watch out for those Canucks and that strong loonie )

Nonetheless, there is still work to be done.
Now its time to start building again.

Let the chiken-littles run for the hills.. more for us to enjoy.
I don't think there is enough marketing of Florida to Canada

everyone flys over going for cheap trips to Domincan R or Mexico

if one town could figure out how to offer medical coverage that would bill at Ontario OHIP rates, that town would be swamped with loonies - believe it

I bought my place when the C$dollar was at 1.02 in '08 ...if it gets up to 1.05, might pick up another. At the same time, we are experiencing a real estate bubble up here, if you can believe it - up 20% year over year

and tens of thousands of public servants are starting to retire...looking for somewhere to go

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I don't think there is enough marketing of Florida to Canada

everyone flys over going for cheap trips to Domincan R or Mexico

if one town could figure out how to offer medical coverage that would bill at Ontario OHIP rates, that town would be swamped with loonies - believe it

I bought my place when the C$dollar was at 1.02 in '08 ...if it gets up to 1.05, might pick up another. At the same time, we are experiencing a real estate bubble up here, if you can believe it - up 20% year over year

and tens of thousands of public servants are starting to retire...looking for somewhere to go
thats very true. the one factor many the blinkered dont seems to understand is the impact of a strong loonie and a economy to the North that may have all but escaped the economic downtown with scratches.

Toronto is the only major city that is building at the rate it is at this time. they just announced the largest condo development in the city and all is sold out.
The Marilyn Monroe condo's in Mississauga.. gone.
people were lined up last two winters for days to buy condos.
one housing development in GTA sold all 98 units in 8 hours. Persons (incld a business partner of mine) were lined up from the Friday at 9Am for a opening the Saturday at noon.
An associate just sold his 2500 sq ft home (in GTA)for $598K. He bought it 3 years ago (at what was touted to have been the height of the boom) for little under $400K.

Now while there should not be any illusion that an economy of 30mil can do much (compared to an econmy of 300mil), further to that, the BOC is warning of higher than normal interest rate increases on the horizon.

However you are correct about the missed marketing opportunity to Canucks.. but we working on it

Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldoncreek View Post
thats very true. the one factor many the blinkered dont seems to understand is the impact of a strong loonie and a economy to the North that may have all but escaped the economic downtown with scratches.

Toronto is the only major city that is building at the rate it is at this time. they just announced the largest condo development in the city and all is sold out.
The Marilyn Monroe condo's in Mississauga.. gone.
people were lined up last two winters for days to buy condos.
one housing development in GTA sold all 98 units in 8 hours. Persons (incld a business partner of mine) were lined up from the Friday at 9Am for a opening the Saturday at noon.
An associate just sold his 2500 sq ft home (in GTA)for $598K. He bought it 3 years ago (at what was touted to have been the height of the boom) for little under $400K.

Now while there should not be any illusion that an economy of 30mil can do much (compared to an econmy of 300mil), further to that, the BOC is warning of higher than normal interest rate increases on the horizon.

However you are correct about the missed marketing opportunity to Canucks.. but we working on it
let me know if you want help with that. I think Ottawa is a better opportunity than Toronto for snowbirds. Torontonians are too busy trying to keep up with their mortgage payments and not getting fired from their private sector jobs that don't provide pensions anyway.

Ottawa is the land of fat early age pensions and much worse winters than Toronto which is further south and has the moderating effect of Lake Ontario. Montrealers have the habit of going to the Atlantic coast. Western Canadians go to Arizona.

Twin SWF with Ottawa and you are on to something. Main thing we are missing is a direct flight!!!!! Be great if Jetblue or Air Direct would fly out of Ogdensburg NY! (40 minutes from Ottawa). This would also draw the Upper NY state people.

So:
#1 - Convince one Hospital to bill at par with Ontario public health insurance rates (six month max stay under our rules, so this only pertains to care that cannot wait)
#2 - Direct flight from Ogdensburg to SWF (Direct Air who flys Plattsburg to SWF)
#3 - Hook up with our local TV news for publicity (CJOH) and link to WINK - create on-air friendships
#4 - Partner with RBC Bank (Fort Myers) who are owned and controlled by Royal Bank Canada and have integrated US/Canadian router #s and web access and can provide mortgages to Canadians without US credit ratings
#5 - Assemble a group of shops that will commit to selling to Canadians at par when it goes back down.
#6 - Extend the Amtrak car train run to north of Washington once a week.
#7 - Partner with Canadian Snowbird Association and CAA
#8 - Partner with Canadian Federal Superannuates Association
#9 - develop a reverse flow in the summer for overheated Floridians, we have cottages on lakes galore, moose hunting wilderness within an hour of the airport. We only have a handful of days per year where you need the AC on at all.
#10 - get some Tim Hortons (donut) franchises going
#11 - we will tell you what to do if confronted by a bear, you tell us what to do if confronted by an alligator ; - )
#12 - get the cities twinned so that the politicians have an excuse for travel at taxpayers expense!

Ottawa (Eastern Ontario) and SWF were made for each other.

call it the Ottawa-Lee County Consortium.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
when I was looking into building I really liked PAUL HOMES they had interesting exteriors that were not cookie cutter and their finish detail was excellent. They made it through the recession without going bankrupt so they were probably pretty good businessmen. They have a model home on Ceitus Blvd on the southwest/northwest line off of pine island rd. Their homes also seemed to keep a lot of their value. The worst I saw at the peak of the downfall was a $235k short sale.
Thanks nhkev, I'll check them out.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
let me know if you want help with that. I think Ottawa is a better opportunity than Toronto for snowbirds. Torontonians are too busy trying to keep up with their mortgage payments and not getting fired from their private sector jobs that don't provide pensions anyway.

Ottawa is the land of fat early age pensions and much worse winters than Toronto which is further south and has the moderating effect of Lake Ontario. Montrealers have the habit of going to the Atlantic coast. Western Canadians go to Arizona.

Twin SWF with Ottawa and you are on to something. Main thing we are missing is a direct flight!!!!! Be great if Jetblue or Air Direct would fly out of Ogdensburg NY! (40 minutes from Ottawa). This would also draw the Upper NY state people.

So:
#1 - Convince one Hospital to bill at par with Ontario public health insurance rates (six month max stay under our rules, so this only pertains to care that cannot wait)
#2 - Direct flight from Ogdensburg to SWF (Direct Air who flys Plattsburg to SWF)
#3 - Hook up with our local TV news for publicity (CJOH) and link to WINK - create on-air friendships
#4 - Partner with RBC Bank (Fort Myers) who are owned and controlled by Royal Bank Canada and have integrated US/Canadian router #s and web access and can provide mortgages to Canadians without US credit ratings
#5 - Assemble a group of shops that will commit to selling to Canadians at par when it goes back down.
#6 - Extend the Amtrak car train run to north of Washington once a week.
#7 - Partner with Canadian Snowbird Association and CAA
#8 - Partner with Canadian Federal Superannuates Association
#9 - develop a reverse flow in the summer for overheated Floridians, we have cottages on lakes galore, moose hunting wilderness within an hour of the airport. We only have a handful of days per year where you need the AC on at all.
#10 - get some Tim Hortons (donut) franchises going
#11 - we will tell you what to do if confronted by a bear, you tell us what to do if confronted by an alligator ; - )
#12 - get the cities twinned so that the politicians have an excuse for travel at taxpayers expense!

Ottawa (Eastern Ontario) and SWF were made for each other.

call it the Ottawa-Lee County Consortium.
#10 alone would do it for Canucks.

Good points altogether though. Interesting ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area