Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM

455 posts, read 973,194 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Mrs. Tommy, is that a picture from a City-Data meet-up?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,292,859 times
I doubt that the rig was sabotaged. But you have to admit the timing makes it suspect. I have never seen such a quick rush to judgement on the cause of an accident as this one. Can we at least wait for the investigation to be done before we blame the accident on Bush/Cheney?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM

455 posts, read 973,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I doubt that the rig was sabotaged. But you have to admit the timing makes it suspect. I have never seen such a quick rush to judgement on the cause of an accident as this one. Can we at least wait for the investigation to be done before we blame the accident on Bush/Cheney?
WHO is rushing to judgment? I guess it's only a "rush to judgment" if blame is laid at the feet of the previous Republican administration? You said this on the 4th: "You really have to wonder if this "accident" was a terrorist attack. The timing is what really makes it suspect. It happened one week after Obama's speech regarding opening more areas of the gulf and ocean to off shore drilling."

Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Mrs. Tommy, is that a picture from a City-Data meet-up?

Yep, and that's me at the microphone............

YC.......

Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,118,945 times
One small step for man and one giant oil spill for mankind.

Disaster unfolds slowly in the Gulf of Mexico - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Yep, and that's me at the microphone............

YC.......
I was going to say that, but <<whistles>>. LOL

Who is blaming it on Bush?

On Cheney?

Maybe someone has and I missed it.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yup, it sure is a wonderful company. Make sure you testify in front of Congress and take along all the evidence you have about Halliburton.

For example, although we should let bygones be bygones, Halliburton was found guilty in the 1990s of violating Federal Trade barriers and fined $1.2 million, with another $2.6 million in penalties. What happened to the investigation into their violation of the Trading With The Enemy Act while Dick Cheney was CEO? (Halliburton Logging sold drilling equipment to Iraq & Libya)

Now don't forget to mention that in 2006 an Australian newspaper The Advertiser (owned by Rupert Murdoch) reported that an investigation confirmed that Halliburton was importing foreigners at slave wages equal to $29 a day U.S. Oh, but what the heck? You probably don't know anyone from Indonesia anyway.

I have plenty of videos if you forgot about the testimony against Halliburton's KBR division for kidnapping over 50 men from the Philippines to build the U.S. Embassy in Iraq.

When it was disclosed that Halliburton overcharged our government by $16 million on a bill for the cost of feeding troops at a military base in Kuwait, I guess since you don't pay taxes in this country, you thought that was a great idea. Just two of Halliburton's employees confessed to taking kickbacks resulting in overcharges of $6.3 million

Oh, I'm sure you're not related, so when Jamie Leigh Jones was gang raped by her co-workers while she was working for Halliburton/KBR in Baghdad, it probably was no big deal that she was detained in a shipping container without food, water, or a bed, and warned that if she reported the incident or got medical treatment, she'd be fired.

But even more recently, in February, the U.S. Military denied $25 million in bonuses to KBR/Halliburton because of shoddy workmanship, resulting in more than a dozen American deaths from electrocution.

Yes, I agree. Halliburton is a wonderful company. I mean, why else would billions of dollars in contracts be awarded with no competitive bidding? How could it overcharge the U.S. Government, use slave labor, authorize the raping & drugging of women, if it wasn't such a great American institution. I wonder if I can get a job there.
Hik, This is the piece I was referring to, along with many main stream media articles.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
WHO is rushing to judgment? I guess it's only a "rush to judgment" if blame is laid at the feet of the previous Republican administration? You said this on the 4th: "You really have to wonder if this "accident" was a terrorist attack. The timing is what really makes it suspect. It happened one week after Obama's speech regarding opening more areas of the gulf and ocean to off shore drilling."
I said virtually the same thing both times. Maybe you slapped your head too hard.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Hik, This is the piece I was referring to, along with many main stream media articles.
I'm not sure I understand this comment. I only stated facts. Nobody is blaming George Bush or Dick Cheney for the oil rig explosion and you cannot find one word I wrote where I even implied it.

There have been several cases where Halliburton was investigated and fined for violations. The Pentagon filed multiple claims for millions of dollars in overcharges. As I wrote above, employees even pled guilty to taking millions of dollars. Halliburton was also investigated for faulty electrical wiring and failure to provide adequately clean water supplies. It has paid hundreds of millions in fines. Just last year Halliburton paid over $550 million in fines to the U.S. Dept of Justice and the SEC as part of a settlement for bribery. One of its former executives pleaded guilty to to a kickback scheme in Nigeria.

Nothing I wrote was fabricated or exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area