Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,918,769 times

Advertisements

As bad as this spill is, and it is bad, the oil leaking into the Gulf from it is still a very small amount compared to the natural oil seepage from the ocean floor.

A new poll this weekend says that 63 percent of Americans still think we should be drilling offshore vs 33 percent who say we should not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,270,216 times
Enough already. Nuke Gulf oil spill, says expert

Enough already. Nuke Gulf oil spill, says expert - thestar.com

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,829,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I'm not minimizing the damage to our environment. It just irks me that the headline to this story is inflammatory. The plumes are later defined as fine droplets. But this definition is buried deep into the article. These fine droplets were created purposely to minimize the chance of oil on land. Why did the EPA allow the dispersants to be used if these fine droplets are so dangerous. They could keep skimming the oil.
Nobody is burying this, since it's stated in every article about the plumes I've read. Guess you skipped over important facts like the oxygen that is being sucked from the ocean floor. Also, Professor Joye (the woman you quoted) said "It's not something we can explain. It's certainly not something we expected to find. We don't understand it."

I watched her "Live" on CNN. Maybe they used a hologram or double of Professor Joye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
As bad as this spill is, and it is bad, the oil leaking into the Gulf from it is still a very small amount compared to the natural oil seepage from the ocean floor.
Mr. Cool, there are lots of natural things flowing & leaking into our environment. So your statement about oil leaking into the water is true, only if you believe that too much oxygen is good for you since that's always in our air. Do you know that carbon monoxide is completely natural? So to prove that something natural that leaks is safe, what about running your car engine in an enclosed garage? Let us know how that turns out for you.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM

455 posts, read 973,486 times
Quote:

A new poll this weekend says that 63 percent of Americans still think we should be drilling offshore vs 33 percent who say we should not.
Once again, I will point out that you are WRONG. This time, I did the "difficult" math for you:

The Deepwater Horizon is leaking a little over 210,000 gallons a day. Oil Flow Rate Questioned as BP Tries 2nd Fix - CBS News

Natural seepage in the Gulf is 13,808 gallons a day. Natural Oil Slicks in the Gulf of Mexico Visible From Space

You are also WRONG about the poll numbers.

Only 46% of Americans support offshore oil drilling in this poll. CBS News Poll: Offshore Oil Drilling Support Plummets - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/national/gulf.oil.poll.2.1688737.html - broken link)

This poll says only 35% support it. Poll: Floridians now oppose coastal drilling after oil spill

Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 PM

376 posts, read 906,551 times
As a nation, we have no other choice than to drill for oil. Here is a link to an air spill at a wind farm ~ just horrible:

BREAKING: Large Air Spill At Wind Farm. No Threats Reported. Some Claim To Enjoy The Breeze. (PICTURE)

Don't flame me ~ this is just tongue in cheek!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,270,216 times
The Deepwater Horizon is leaking a little over 210,000 gallons a day. Oil Flow Rate Questioned as BP Tries 2nd Fix - CBS News

Natural seepage in the Gulf is 13,808 gallons a day. Natural Oil Slicks in the Gulf of Mexico Visible From Space

===========
just for fun, a person spinning this could talk about world natural slicks or add up the last 20 years compared to the Deepwater Horizon (DH) spill

based on your number, natural gulf seepage runs over 5,000,000 gal per year, so worldwide, I am guessing it must be 100 times that amount, at least 500M gal per year, or 10 billion gallons over 20 years?

I think it is fair to look at accumulations, as this stuff allegedly hangs around for decades.

each number dwarfs DH figure to date, which are, what...2.9M gal so far? I forget how many weeks this has been going.

I heard they were thinking of dropping a mountain of mud on the leak...seriously.

either way you look at it, it is indeed beyond awful.

One solution is for the US to consider oil spills by foreign firms to be acts of war and the response is confiscation of all of their rigs in the gulf.

or at least correctly count the non-financial impacts, and impose a fine for every animal/bird harmed.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,158,907 times
Quote:

Where did you get your numbers? I can say "I read on the internet that 63% of Americans want all nuclear waste to be dumped in Wisconsin", and it may be true, depending on who was asked and where they lived. I've noticed something about people in general and Americans in particular-as long as a disaster isn't affecting them personally, they really couldn't care less.

And your argument about "natural oil seepage" is absurd. That's like saying the radiation from a nuclear explosion is incidental because the radiation from the sun is greater.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM

455 posts, read 973,486 times
Computer models now show the plume has reached the Loop Current. Dispersants are causing the oil to sink, depleting the oxygen in the water and killing coral. Oil Spill Florida Keys: Scientists Think Oil Has Entered Loop Current And Poses Grave Threat To Reefs

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,295,505 times
The Huffington Post was ranting about the Swine flu when The healthcare bill was being debated. Now they are ranting about this oil spill as the debate begins on the Cap and Trade bill. They were wrong then and hopefully are wrong again.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM

376 posts, read 906,551 times
Teabaggers ranted & raved about the swine flu also ~ end of civilization, gloom & doomers, etc etc ~ maybe they can find common ground with the folks @ the Huffington Post now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area