Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,268,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
kro, what does that have to do with letting other nations take the oil that is in our backyard? I'm all for restoring our manufacturing base if that is what you mean.
I was supporting your point with my tongue in cheek comment

the thing is, as a nation gets more "sophisticated" and "noble", there is a tipping point where they can't independently heat their own homes or defend their own borders and so on.

That tipping point happened for the euroweenies a hundred years ago and they required the "barbarian" Americans to come in and throw out the huns twice and keep the rusniks at bay for the last half of the century.

Blue America, which as a group is now bankrupt, has already passed that point and is now in charge of things. Unless you guys (I am Canadian) make a course correction in November (following the recent Canadian, French and British examples), the issues you are seeing in California and Greece, will start manifesting on the national level.

Once America is on its knees, all hell is going to break loose, planetary wise. Drilling is one part of stemming the loss of American independence. Regulation and failsafes need to be stepped up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,291,272 times
euroweenies lol

Old 05-08-2010, 04:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,917,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
I just don't get that this isn't an accident that has a beginning and an end. Oil doesn't spill and then get cleaned up. this is affected the food chain from the bottom right on up to us humans.

We could have oil on our Florida beaches for years because of this. What do you think that will do to the economy. Can't you open your mind up and see the bigger picture of what is happening here. and this will probably not be the last accident.
Sorry, to insult you but you have a very narrow view and possibly are unable to grasp the enormity of this.
Oil is the life blood of the world, we must have it for humans to survive! I work with farmers on a daily basis. They need the fuel and oil from these platforms to run their tractors, combines, trucks etc... THAT'S the big picture, without it there is NO food chain!! We need oil to eat!! bottom line, food doesn't just magically show up at the local Publix.

I doubt anyone will care much about a little oil on the Florida beaches or the economy that is damaged by it, when they are starving to death. Don't get me wrong, I love the Florida beaches.

The reality is that almost three quarters of the oil in the oceans are there from natural seepage! Even if we do not drill in the Gulf, oil is constantly seeping into the seas. We may as well drill for it!

As far as "grasping the enormity of this",..... Well, it's not that enormous! We all remember the Exon Valdez, was it bad? ya. Did it destroy the world economy?? No. Did it wipe out mankind??? No. As of now, it's not even remembered by most people. If we have only one spill every 31 years, compared to the HUGE benefits from offshore drilling, well, that's a no brainer!!

Mr.Cool

BTW, The three biggest jokes in the world are:

#1. A man go's into a bar....................
#2 The farmer says "Well, ok, but you'll have share a room with my daughter"..............
#3 THE UNITED NATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. euroweenies??? HA HA!! Man, your killing me. LOL

Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,173 times
Default The solution? can it be this simple?

OK. Found this over in the P&OC section, but was truly amazed.....

American ingenuity at it's best. It's so simple, and likely cost effective, that it is certain to be overlooked by those that will take advantage of a crisis to line their pockets with $$$$ in one way or another..........

It has a bland title, but I would call it "Bubba Gump and Junior Samples prove they have more brains than British Petroleum".....................(I crack myself up )

YouTube - CWRoberts Presentation 2.wmv

cleans the water, and the beaches, and with a little more science, could probably even reclaim(salvage) the wayward crude. These two could deserve a real Nobel prize, not the cracker jack variety handed to Gore/Obama.

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Last edited by Compression; 05-08-2010 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM

206 posts, read 446,539 times
You know what? I officially will never come on this board as too many of you are unevolved idiots. Without the ocean there is no humankind and no economy to worry about. You have got everything upside down.
I fear we are doomed if the majority of people are as dimwitted as some of you.
You are a product of all the propaganda big business has been spoon feeding you your whole lives.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,381 times
I Vote ruby back on citydata. I disagree with about 80% of the people on here most of the time and that is why I post. It is exchange of different ideas and points of view...my favorite posters are usually the people who disagree with me props to hik yachtcare and twobums

Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 AM

455 posts, read 973,120 times
Alternative fuels must be investigated and research must be funded. According this graph: File:PU200611 Fig1.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia we are already past our peak production and on the downhill side. There are finite supplies of oil. Prices will only rise as supply gets tighter. It's no coincidence that there is such a sharp gender gap between males and females in his survey. As evidenced here, males tie much of their gender identity up in the size of their toys, which also happen to consume massive amounts of petroleum products.

Big Oil corrupted the Bush administration and invaded the Materials Management Service: acoustic triggers were not required on American wells because Cheney allowed Big Oil to infect MMS, who then deemed them "too costly". "A 2009 investigation of the Minerals Management Service found that agency officials "frequently consumed alcohol at industry functions, had used cocaine and marijuana and had sexual relationships with oil and gas company representatives." Three reports by the Inspector General describe an open bazaar of payoffs, bribes and kickbacks spiced with scenes of female employees providing sexual favors to industry big wigs who in turn rewarded government workers with illegal contracts. In one incident reported by the Inspector General, agency employees got so drunk at a Shell sponsored golf event that they could not drive home and had to sleep in hotel rooms paid for by Shell."

Toxic oil is still present in Prince William Sound. UNC prepared the definitive study on the ecology of the area and "showed that oil has persisted in surprisingly large quantities for years after the Exxon Valdez spill in subsurface reservoirs under coarse intertidal sediments. This oil was sequestered in conditions where weathering by wave action, light and bacteria was inhibited, and toxicity remained for a decade or more." Exposure to this oil, in turn, caused additional animal deaths. Salmon, for example, had increased mortality for four years after the spill because incubating eggs had come into contact with it. Larger marine mammals and ducks, meanwhile, suffered ill effects because their prey was contaminated. The team estimates that shoreline habitats such as mussel beds affected by the spill will take up to 30 years to recover fully."

The "seepage" rate into the Gulf from natural sources is 120,000 barrels a YEAR. The rate of flow from the Deepwater Horizon leak is 210,000 gallons A DAY!

BP's "containment dome" has failed and the first tar balls have washed up on Dauphin Island Alabama and the oil has reached the Louisiana marshes. Florida is next.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 05-09-2010 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,291,272 times
At least there is no slant on the story when you get it from Katie. LOL

Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,268,875 times
the euroweenie crack refers to continental Europe and its loss of will to defend itself or get their hands dirty in overseas interventions - UK is not included in that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area