Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times

Advertisements

hiknapster, i like you. i dont care what anyone else thinks! hahaha

ps- you are entitled to your own opinion, but i do enjoy that area, although didnt care too much for ft myers. but i've only been there a few times. since you didnt like it at all, i am glad you are happier now in tn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
hiknapster, i like you. i dont care what anyone else thinks! hahaha

ps- you are entitled to your own opinion, but i do enjoy that area, although didnt care too much for ft myers. but i've only been there a few times. since you didnt like it at all, i am glad you are happier now in tn.
See. You made my point. Fort Myers is the pits. I wish it on no one. What a miserable place.

You and I may differ on where to vacation, but I like you, too!

Now who says they don't like me? Huh? Huh?

Old 07-30-2007, 04:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
"Now who says they don't like me? Huh? Huh?"

nobody --- i was just cyber-flirting! hahaha

Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
How kind of you. I am flattered!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
kar

179 posts, read 753,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Right. That is exactly right.

Sewerage? Maybe. It sure has a lot of runoff from the middle of the state that results in red tide. The local news is always down at the beach interviewing the tourists that are ticked off that they spent their hard earned money to vacation there.

Things for families to do? The Imaginarium? It's a third-rate children's museum sitting in the middle of the ghetto. Skate park, ice skating arena, Red Sox stadium? The same. In the ghetto. The Edison Mall? A dump. It's famous for having it's Easter bunny punch out a mother. He did time for that.

Low paying jobs? Oh, I know you don't even want to go there.

Since you've beat this dead horse over and over, let me expound. The reason that the school system has seen growth is because there is a major influx from the Miami area and immigrants moving in. That's in the same article that talks about the school growth.

Fort Myers is full of over-55 trailer parks. Those trailer parks are full of the rudest people that you will ever meet in your life. That alone, is reason not to live there.

121804: Right. The school system is a ridiculous lottery that you will never win. There are no cultural offerings in Fort Myers. And before you bring up the Arts Hall, Florida1, I will remind you that it is in the exploratory stages. Good luck getting that funding. Fort Myers is not known for its wealthy citizens. I know Florida1, you'll give me a list of rich people. Refer back to the trailer park statement. Those people will squeeze a nickel until it screams.

And Sanibel and Captiva? Have you ever been to Bermuda? That's someplace you should see before you die. The time I spent on Sanibel and Captiva I can never get back.
hiknapster is so right. We use to live in Fort Myers a few years ago as well. Everything she said is true.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 26,726 times
um i'm pretty sure i picked the WORST website ever to look at before moving to florida. i mean do you guys just hate your lives so much that the only thing you have better to do is try to convince other people moving to florida that they will hate their lives too? like i said before, there are going to be positive and negative aspects of any place you chose to live and it's what you make of it...if there are so many negatives for all of you why did you chose to live there?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
We are here due to job circumstances. Thankfully, we are able to move from Florida within the next 6 months

We are prior military & have lived in several states & 2 countries. We have seen all sorts of good & bad.

But Fort Myers is its own breed that I've never seen before. It truly lacks any character or substance. The issues for a "city" that is really not all that big in comparison to other places in the US is amazing. We knew what we were moving to & are amazed that pretty much 75% of it is true. We've tried to make the best of it here but this place just sucks the life right out of someone.

Fort Myers is just bizarre & somewhere I am grateful my children won't have to receive their education.

This particular post is about Fort Myers, not all of Florida.

Hey, I could care less who moves to Florida or who leaves or whatever. But I will stand by my convinction that this is an area of Florida that caters to retirees who are cranky & bitter. Hiknapster stated it best a few posts back about the retirees here being the rudest around. Wait until you don't move out of the way of their scooter in the store. And what Fort Myers does provide to families is substandard & poor, at best.

If one is over the age of 70 & does care for anyone younger than them or is not here legally, then this is a great place.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM

120 posts, read 170,427 times
This is ridiculous!! Ft. Myers is the smallest airport in the country to have direct air service to Europe. Why is this important? Because the European market is one of Lee County's most popular suppliers of tourists. For pete's sake (sp?) the Ft. Myers High band was invited to play in London's largest parade just to show how commited London was to the Ft. Myers area. I was at the beach last week (south end of Ft. Myers beach). The people on my left were vacationing from England, and the people a little further down were vacationing from Germany. Both had visited the destination previously and chose to return again. If Ft. Myers was such a "hell hole", why do these European tourists choose the Ft. Myers/Sanibel area to take vacations? Maybe the city of Ft. Myers isn't known for its wealthy residents, but the general area around it certainly is. As far as the ones on thsi forum who say things like, "I used to live there and I hated it", this area changes every month so it is kind of unreliable basing a current opinion on what the area was like 5+ years ago. Also, I have had run ins with rude retirees in nearly every city in Florida.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM

120 posts, read 170,427 times
I would also like to add that I read the monthly tourism reports. Tourists' satisfaction with Lee County stands somewhere between 90%-95% which is quite good.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Default used to live here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't agree.

First of all, no one can actually live there, so why tout it? Why the heck would you move to Fort Myers to be near Sanibel?

So you put up with the crap of living in Lee County so you can pay $6 to go over the bridge every once in awhile? Then you hunt for a parking space and pay to park? And for what? To collect some shells? And that's when you can get the time to do that, since you have to work constantly, due to the low-paying jobs.

Gosh, in the nine years that I lived there, I think I went to Sanibel four times. I could have lived elsewhere, been happy, and had the money to spend four quality vacations there. However, I would think that once would be enough.
We used to live in FT Myers and grew to hate it. The immigrants(Haitian and Mexican)have overrun the place and the Latin gangs are terrible there now. The other person was right about the Imaginarium and all those "kid friendly places". One reason that we left was to get out and raise our daughter in a better environment! I wish I liked FT. Myers because my family is there, but they keep living there even though they say they hate it-although most people who live there say they hate it too! Good Luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area