Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 PM

19 posts, read 39,839 times

Advertisements

I came across elevation certificates for CC homes built after 1993. It's on the CC's gov website.

Evaluation Data

I recall reading from other forums, and if I understood it correctly, if your base flood elevation is say 8' and the floor elevation at the lowest point in your house is over 8' then you are in compliance and the insurance rate is low. If it is under 8' then rates climb with every inch it is under.
So those horror stories that are out there are most likely homes in the "V" zone and way under base flood elevation. This is why homes are built on stilts, like Key West style homes in Pirate Harbor. The higher your living area floor is above the base flood number, the lower the insurance will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,464 times
On home owner's insurance, look into MET LIFE! I had a small life insurance policy with them from the Police Union, and Met Life saved me $800.00 per year on home owner's insurance,(for BETTER coverage!) and my auto insurance, I can insure 3 vehicles for what Allstate, and State Farm charged for just 1!! On Home owners insurance the higher the deductible, the Lower the Premium. I am very handy and can fix most home problems, but in a disaster, A good insurance company is a Best Friend! Several people who had Knock off names and even including Allstate,(Who is usually the better ones) Thousands of Houston home owners were displaced, after hurricane IKE, because their Insurance companies went into "Litigation" for MONTHS before making repairs! If you CAN fix things, or have friends who are handy, DO NOT file a claim! Fix it yourself. ALL insurance companies have access to "High claim" people who tend to "Milk" the insurance companies on their own computer network. They can run your Name, date of birth, and walla...they even know your parents and how many claims they filed too!
Newer built homes have lower insurance due to higher building codes that were NOT in place years ago. On older homes, Check the local Code enforcement office to be sure ALL updates had a permit, which means they were ALSO INSPECTED prior to or after completion. Simple things like a P-trap keeps deadly Methane gas from escaping into your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area