Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Additionally - Nationwide (2003-2007)

Most (47%) of arrests that came from intentional set fire were under the age of 18. (2008 FBI)

24% were financial gain motivated.

60% were not from gain or curiosity

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF...lFactSheet.pdf
The only thing I would be wary about it is the stats end in 2007. I wonder if high foreclosure areas will ultimately see more arson than normal. Time will tell. I would suspect that auto insurance fraud may go up due to hard economic times, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM

681 posts, read 884,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

The only thing I would be wary about it is the stats end in 2007. I wonder if high foreclosure areas will ultimately see more arson than normal. Time will tell. I would suspect that auto insurance fraud may go up due to hard economic times, too.
Outch!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
ouch

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM

616 posts, read 1,563,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Outch!
And people wonder why their posts just "disappear". How is this helpful? What is your point by writing this?

I totally agree with Hik. Time will tell whether or not things change. I would venture (MY OWN OPINION) to say that there may be some upward trend but not to the degree that you make it seem - and here's why:

In that same article I posted from the Naples News, there was also another link to an article saying that there is in fact more people trying to get "rid" of their cars. Cars are more easily "lost" (dumped into a canal, driven to the middle of nowhere and left in the swamp/forest) and they hold little to no sentimental value to the owner.

How many times does a person typically change cars? Every 5 to 10 years? Some more, some less. How often do people change homes? A lot less. There is an emotional tie with homeownership. A person makes it "their" home.

My opinion - no matter how PO'd the most people are about losing their home, they don't want to see it destroyed. I would even venture to say that most people would rather have someone else sharing what brought them joy to be living there. Other than a few people who do not value what they have or have gone off the deep end - I just don't see the majority of the people totally destroying their home.

Will people "destroy" the house of valuable and sentimental things. Sure. I really don't blame them. The house I bought in the Cape was just that. They even took 6 trees/shrubs from the back yard. Even though they played the system (took out a home equity loan to buy 4 brand new cars and flat screen tv's while not paying their mortgage), they made that house "theirs" but they didn't set the house a blaze.

Last edited by stahltkd; 09-26-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Alan X, battalion chief for the Cape fire department, said some people may be deliberately buying homes through short sales or foreclosures and setting them on fire to cash in on insurance claims. "

Serious house fires can be costly | news-press.com | The News-Press

“ Firefighters were called to the blaze where no one was home at 1118 NE 11th St., at about 9:49 p.m. It caused $90,000 in damage.

Even more, this particular house sold on 5/28/2010 for $80,000--and that included the land. The Tax Assessor web site shows the building was valued at $54,304. Can legitimate damages be greater than the cost of the house itself ?

Nov/11/08
Fire at Cape Coral home causes $90,000 in damage | news-press.com | The News-Press

Welcome to Cape Coral !

Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
Arson sprees,such as the kind that obliterated the South Bronx in the 70's,are only feasible if the property is owned outright,and an owner can get an inflated value from an insurer.Both cases are less likely these days.Mostly fire insurance will only cover "replacement in kind" these days.So a fire won't cancel your mortgage obligation.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post

only feasible if the property is owned outright
,and an owner can get an inflated value from an insurer. So a fire won't cancel your mortgage obligation.

In Cape Coral 51.9% of homeowners with mortgages are under water. They do not go throw the hassle of putting the house on fire, they just walk out and leave the key for the realtor or just wait for many many months before the bank knocks on their doors.

Cape Coral is Florida's Capital City of foreclosures and #2 worst city in America for having a glut of foreclosures. At the same time, number of sales have fallen by -34.2% y-o-y.
It means getting rid of one's owned outright property is not so easy!

Last edited by yoko; 11-10-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,627 times
Quote:
“ Firefighters were called to the blaze where no one was home at 1118 NE 11th St., at about 9:49 p.m. It caused $90,000 in damage.

Even more, this particular house sold on 5/28/2010 for $80,000--and that included the land. The Tax Assessor web site shows the building was valued at $54,304. Can legitimate damages be greater than the cost of the house itself ?

Nov/11/08
Fire at Cape Coral home causes $90,000 in damage | news-press.com | The News-Press

Welcome to Cape Coral !
Oh yes, most of the houses that sell in CC right now, cost less than what it will cost to rebuild them. In some the materials alone would cost more then the sale price. You can have easily more damage then what you paid for the home, specially here and now.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM

" Firefighters responded to fire just before 11pm at a home on the 1500 block of NE 17th Avenue, finding the home fully engulfed in flames."

Elderly man hospitalized after being rescued from house fire

how many fires in this week? I have to check with news-press.com

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM

616 posts, read 1,563,986 times
Quote:
" Firefighters responded to fire just before 11pm at a home on the 1500 block of NE 17th Avenue, finding the home fully engulfed in flames."

Elderly man hospitalized after being rescued from house fire

how many fires in this week? I have to check with news-press.com
Working on getting November's but in September...

The Fire Department responded to 1,414 calls for service during the month of September: 74% medical, 7% accidents, 6% fire, and 13% other.

The average response time for September was 5 minutes, 44 seconds.

The Bureau of Life Safety conducted 7 fire investigations during the month of September: 5 structure fires and 2 vehicle fires.City Department Report

So, in the month of September - 85 fires and 5 of those were INVESTIGATED. Not necessarily confirmed arson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area