U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

19 posts, read 62,009 times
Default Is southside Fort Wayne really that bad??

It seems like, as I did my research, a lot of people are claiming that the southside of Fort Wayne is really bad, more gun shots, "gangs" (even though I honestly think it might be the way certain people dress more than being in an actual gang) etc, even though I've read about crime in other parts of Fort Wayne besides the southside.
Now I've visited Fort Wayne before more than once and I REALLY like it.
Coming from the east coast I really kind of almost laughed at the notorious "southside" when I saw it.
Okay, but to be honest, I've seen S Anthony and E Paulding and I do not want to live on those streets, but honestly, other than that, it looked fine to me.
(If you want to see a true ghetto I'd say to visit the South Bronx in NYC, it even makes me nervous lol. :P )
Anyway, my hubby and I don't have the best credit at all (due to past marital issues), and it's hard to get an apartment in the "nicer" areas because of our credit and lack of rental history.
I'm currently out of state in CT but will be in Fort Wayne in a few months when I'm done with healthcare school. My husband is in Fort Wayne, and works a lot, so I'm pretty much trying to do as much research as I can.
I came from humble beginnings so I don't mind starting off living in the southside, however, I also want to live my life peacefully and if it's really that bad, then I need to know too.

So what I'm wondering is:
1.) Is Fort Wayne's south side really that bad? Or is it just a bunch of talk?
2.) Are there only certain streets to stay away from? (I've stayed at a place on E Hoover Dr while visiting and everytime I go there, it's actually pretty quiet, but other streets seem worse than others)
3.) Should we live in an extended stay hotel for a while to build some kind of stable rental history, then try an apartment in another area?
4.) Any other info, links, sites, experiences, etc helps. Please share <3

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Can anyone help me? Any advice would be great.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 PM

201 posts, read 455,554 times
Hey, Fort Wayne's southside is a little more complicated than a generic it's "all bad or not bad at all" discussion. I'll message you my thoughts on it, which are coming from someone who has lived in much worse neighborhoods in Chicago and Los Angeles than Fort Wayne's southside.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,448,285 times
I've not lived in that part of town, but per news accounts and first-hand reports from those that I know have / do, I'll just state here that yes, while its not East StL or other such places, "it could be better"... If you have the time, review the stories from the on-line papers:
Police and fire - JournalGazette.net | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN
FortWayne.com : Fort Wayne news, sports, jobs, homes, cars

And this database:
News-Sentinel.com

Best wishes to you and yours.

PS: if you are looking for something less expensive, there are many smaller communities [including New Haven] within a short commute to FtW that might have a price range for you too, at least (as you state) to help rebuild your credit.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
Hey, Fort Wayne's southside is a little more complicated than a generic it's "all bad or not bad at all" discussion. I'll message you my thoughts on it, which are coming from someone who has lived in much worse neighborhoods in Chicago and Los Angeles than Fort Wayne's southside.
Thanks so much for your message, as I've stated it helped me so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
I've not lived in that part of town, but per news accounts and first-hand reports from those that I know have / do, I'll just state here that yes, while its not East StL or other such places, "it could be better"... If you have the time, review the stories from the on-line papers:
Police and fire - JournalGazette.net | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN
FortWayne.com : Fort Wayne news, sports, jobs, homes, cars

And this database:
News-Sentinel.com

Best wishes to you and yours.

PS: if you are looking for something less expensive, there are many smaller communities [including New Haven] within a short commute to FtW that might have a price range for you too, at least (as you state) to help rebuild your credit.
Thanks for the links, but I see that crime also happens in a place called Warsaw:
2 accused of drug deal in Warsaw | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

So it's not just the southside...

Plus I have heard Indiana has a big meth issue as well.

Crime happens everywhere no matter where you live but I do understand that some areas could have a little more of it.

Smaller communities within a short commute sound good too, thanks for that because it gives me a chance to explore my options.
It definitely is a good idea to scope out local papers and research further

Thanks for the info! I definitely look forward to living in Indiana

Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 AM

Ok, after reading a few articles, um, does a lot of child abuse happen in Fort Wayne?
These stories make me sick to my stomach, do they occur a lot?
Not to change the topic but wow, I just had to say something after reading them...

Mother given 4 years for nearly starving kids | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

Mom cites demons in boy's death | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM

508 posts, read 794,285 times
The southside of Fort Wayne is historically considered bad because nerly 80% of the cities murders occur there. Do realize though, that Fort Wayne overall is not a heavy crime city, compared to the national average.

Like most have said, not ALL of the southside is bad. In fact, the south side is more known for the poverty than anything. The heavy crime mainly occurs in the southeast side of the city.

However, coming from the East Coast there will be a change in how much rent cost here for an apartment. You may be able to afford a decent 2 BR apartment in the nicer parts of the city for $600-800/month. I am not sure if that is manageable for you, but that is realistic. Some may even be lower as cost of living is not high here. The northeast, north, northwest, and southwest areas of the city are the so called 'desirable places.' However, SW fort wayne is extremely upscale. In fact, the 46814 zip code is the wealthiest in the state than any other zip code.

My advice, look to see what you can afford in the nicer areas. If not, settle for something that suits you best. Fort Wayne is a great city and you will find that out when you move here.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
The southside of Fort Wayne is historically considered bad because nerly 80% of the cities murders occur there. Do realize though, that Fort Wayne overall is not a heavy crime city, compared to the national average.

Like most have said, not ALL of the southside is bad. In fact, the south side is more known for the poverty than anything. The heavy crime mainly occurs in the southeast side of the city.

However, coming from the East Coast there will be a change in how much rent cost here for an apartment. You may be able to afford a decent 2 BR apartment in the nicer parts of the city for $600-800/month. I am not sure if that is manageable for you, but that is realistic. Some may even be lower as cost of living is not high here. The northeast, north, northwest, and southwest areas of the city are the so called 'desirable places.' However, SW fort wayne is extremely upscale. In fact, the 46814 zip code is the wealthiest in the state than any other zip code.

My advice, look to see what you can afford in the nicer areas. If not, settle for something that suits you best. Fort Wayne is a great city and you will find that out when you move here.
Thank you
Yep my few visits to Ft Wayne told me that it's not a seemly bad place at all. I really did like it. As far as the southside, I know that crime is real but I also know that people like to over-dramatize things and that crime also happens outside the southside. I will continue to do my research and listen to thoughts, opiions and facts and will end up with a pretty decent place to live no matter what.
Yeah the cost of living still amazes me. Even besides the apartments, there are homes for rent for that cheap which is pretty awesome. That's crazy because in CT to rent a home would be in the thousands.
So it will be lovely to come from a place that has one of the highest costs of living in the country to a place that's so cheap.

Thank you for your advice, I will certainly take it.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM

824 posts, read 1,331,781 times
Southeast side is bad. The rest of the southside is rather nice. There are older sections of the near southwest side they are really nice, some really nice older homes. And the southwest side (west of 69) is probably the nicest part of the city

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Southeast side is bad. The rest of the southside is rather nice. There are older sections of the near southwest side they are really nice, some really nice older homes. And the southwest side (west of 69) is probably the nicest part of the city
Thank you.
We did do our research and I'll actually be in Fort Wayne a lot earlier than I thought, and we have a place reserved for us on the north end of town which is real cool.
Hubby saw a place near the southwest side that he really liked in a great area so I think that's the area you're talking about, but I like the place on the northside because it's a lot more modern ha ha.
A decision will be made quite soon ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne