Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,059 times

Advertisements

Our last home (another state) was a nightmare...actually after hearing "I've never seen it done that way" one too many times we learned the builder took every short cut in the book (actually I have no idea how the city ever signed off on the home other then someone was seriously paid off)...also learned he was stripped of his licenses and never allowed to build another home (long before we moved there). Lesson learned - do your research.

Moving to Fort Wayne, buying a home and so I'd love to find out what builders I should be cautious of or even avoid at all costs in an attempt to not have another nightmare home.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
I would stay away from Lancia and Granite Ridge as those "budget" home builders produce so many homes at one time (and have been for about 20 years in this vicinity) that quality is pretty darned low. I lived in a Lancia built home for 8 years and even though it supposedly had every upgrade offered just a few years prior, I found the sound and temperature insulation for all exterior walls and the roof to be seriously lacking, and the foundation work to be shoddy. The builders you never hear anything bad about are the high-end custom builders like Masterpiece Homes, Buscher, and Windsor (basically the builders who focus upon the really nice high-end neighborhoods).

Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 PM

625 posts, read 1,809,852 times
The problem with homebuilding nowadays is that with subdivisions, builders will take very shortcut possible. Granite Ridge and Lancia definitely produce multiple homes at one time. Not to say the homes are poorly made, but whenever homes are being mass produced, you do have to wonder if the quality is there. There are many neighborhoods in Fort Wayne that do offer custom built homes at a lower price. Some of these neighborhoods are older, but you'll be better off in the long run. Many of the newer homes will probably be fine for a couple of more years, but the poorly built houses will show their age sooner rather than later. I would trust a house that looks like it is not a cookie-cutter neighborhood, where each home has a unique characteristic about it.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 21,353 times
We lived in Ft. Wayne for about a year. One of the most knowledgeable builders I met while there (who we were seriously thinking of having build our home) was a man named Jeff Godfrey of Bridle Homes (www.bridlehomes.com). He has been involved in all areas of the building process and took a lot of time to meet with us. He answered our questions thoroughly, showed us through several of his homes, and has a quality product. If we would have stayed in Ft. Wayne, there is no question he would have been our builder.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 66,751 times
I would hire a builder to stick frame ONLY, then sub out the rest. This way you can see everything before its covered up. Dont forget to film it as you go for historical reasons.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 8,617 times
Default Suggestionthose

GRD, those boys can build(the GR is Greg Richard, not Granit Ridge)!

-Luke

Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,335 times
Thumbs up The Builder for you!

If you are looking for a custom home builder that goes above and beyond your expectations, Ryan and Wannemacher Design are exactly the builder you are looking for.....highly recommend! ~Aaron C.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 PM

104 posts, read 108,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
Our last home (another state) was a nightmare...actually after hearing "I've never seen it done that way" one too many times we learned the builder took every short cut in the book (actually I have no idea how the city ever signed off on the home other then someone was seriously paid off)...also learned he was stripped of his licenses and never allowed to build another home (long before we moved there). Lesson learned - do your research.

Moving to Fort Wayne, buying a home and so I'd love to find out what builders I should be cautious of or even avoid at all costs in an attempt to not have another nightmare home.

Thank you,
I was going to answer you, but this question is a violation of this site, and a grave offense to Mexico and Poland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne