U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 10,408 times

Advertisements

Spill - I want the good, bad, and ugly. We are moving to Ft Wayne in 2 months from FL for my new job. We just went up and looked at real estate, and this neighborhood really spoke to me. I have to live on the south side of town, because I am commuting to Bluffton for work and need to be within a 30 minute drive. We also saw some properties in SWFW, but while very nice, they were way more suburban than anywhere I've ever lived. I will be moving with my husband and 2 y/o son. For reference, I grew up in Minneapolis and went to city public schools. Moved to New Orleans for a decade, and now live in St. Petersburg, FL walking distance from downtown. I consider diversity a plus, and like interesting and eclectic neighborhoods with a lot of character. Safety and schools are important, but we can afford private school if necessary. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,680,071 times
I wouldn't write off the neighborhoods and streets immediately around Haverhill Elementary School in Southwest Fort Wayne (if you haven't seen them, re-visit the area to see them - it's easy to miss the nice neighborhoods in a quick tour of the SW area of Fort Wayne as the realtors seem to play favorites on what they show people). There's walking/biking trails, hills, lots of trees, and you can bike ride to the Aboite Library, Kroger Marketplace and you are next to the Jorgensen YMCA, Summit Middle School and Homestead High School. The homes are all unique and diverse, but also super safe and great for your son to grow up in.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 23,728 times
Default I think you're missing the point, mbuszu

The first poster wanted information on Southwood Park/Foster Park area. Not sure why everyone funnels prospective Fort Wayne residents to the far reaches of the southwestern edge of town.

My wife and I are in our late-40s with grown children. She's originally from Defiance, Ohio, and wanted to be near relatives. I am from Columbus, Ohio, and want to be in between Chicago and Columbus because that's where I travel to and from for work.

We have spent the last eight months or so looking for houses all over Fort Wayne and settled on one in the Southwood Park neighborhood and love it. It's an older house with lots of character and the neighborhood is great.

Unfortunately, Fort Wayne doesn't even come to close to having neighborhoods in Columbus like Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, German Village, Franklinton, Olde Town East, Grandview, etc., that are lined with restaurants, coffee houses, bars, art galleries, book stores, and specialty shops.

As for the neighborhood you suggested, mbuszu, around Haverhill Elementary School in southwest Fort Wayne, that a lot like the suburban neighborhoods I have lived in the last two decades. While it is nice, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's way too suburban for my tastes, and wanted something more urban.

As for the first poster, MB37, my response maybe too late for you. But anyone else who's interested, my wife and I love the Southwood Park neighborhood and hope to open a restaurant in the area in the near future.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM

8,804 posts, read 16,269,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBarker View Post
The first poster wanted information on Southwood Park/Foster Park area. Not sure why everyone funnels prospective Fort Wayne residents to the far reaches of the southwestern edge of town.
It is because for the most part, this forum is run with a suburban bias. Not that there is anything wrong with that. There are gaggles of people in the Indianapolis forum for example whose answer to every question is Fishers. It happens across the city data universe.

I really like Southwood Park, by the way.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM

21 posts, read 35,749 times
Southwood Park area is such a gem! We lived there for 8 years and sold our house without ever listing...someone just made us an offer out of the blue. As soon as we sold, we regretted it! After months of house shopping, we decided that part of town was the only area we could live in!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,637 times
I'm a Ft.Wayne native who couldn't wait to leave town at 18. Had I known that Southwood Park and Ft. Wayne's other lovely older neighborhoods on the S and North sides existed, I might never have left. I grew up in the 1960's in a NE side ranch house subdivision. My parents were of that era/type when newer and further out was better to most. (The more things change, the more they stay the same...)

My mother grew up in a neighborhood near SW Park, though not quite as nice. But like most of her generation, she was swept up in white flight and the extreme racism of the times. More African Americans lived in S.Fort Wayne, so many of the whites moved out and tended to disdain that area.

While visiting my mother in her later/declining years, I distracted myself with trips to Southwood Park, Oakdale, etc. I had no idea! My mom didn't want to go back to where she grew up, but I see things from a different vantage point. I love old houses, and there area many, many pristine homes in S. Ft. Wayne from the early-mid1900's. And they. are. cheap. May not seem that way to people who've always lived in Ft. Wayne, but I see you've lived in larger cities, as have I. The taxes I pay right now in Metro Atlanta in one year could buy a very nice home in Southwood Park. ($7,000 PER MONTH x 12 months. I live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, but in a suburb with its own public school system so the taxes are astronomical. We are moving--I finally got a clue.)

Yes, Ft. Wayne's not a fast placed pace. So what? There's enough going on there to satisfy all but the highest octane people. Chicago and Indy are close enough, and you'll save so much money on your house and taxes you'll be able to go on a nice vacations frequently!

I've never felt unsafe in Ft. Wayne. Things happen everywhere. But if you accept that those who look and act differently from you most always mean you no harm, you'll be a happier person. I lock my doors no matter where I am, remain aware of my surroundings and just take common sense measures to avoid trouble. My car has been broken into in Atlanta, but only in expensive neighborhoods. Life goes on.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne