U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-09-2007, 01:33 AM

8 posts, read 26,028 times
Default WANTED: Unbiased view of Fort Wayne

My Wife and I are possibly looking to move to Fort Wayne, I have lots of family there. I have a few questions:

Crime:Just how bad is it.... REALLY?
DRUGS How big of a problem are they?
Things to do? we are outdoors kind of people.... And please don't just say there is nothing to do here... I moved from Indy when I was 7 years old to a tiny town in the NW corner of Washington State that was hours from an actually city. It's all in what you make of it. Trust me, you have not seen boring. Will someone please give me an unbiased "snapshot" at what life is like there? thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-09-2007, 02:35 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,881,414 times
Run an advanced search for posts I've made within the Indiana forum containing the words "Fort Wayne"... you ought to find what you are looking for in the results as I've been a participant in every discussion of Fort Wayne since Dec 06. The discussions have ranged from "what to do in Fort Wayne?," "where to move to in Fort Wayne?," "weather," "dining," "cultural observations," "crime issues," "drugs" and a lot of other things. Your questions aren't really unique so I would encourage you to to read what has been asked and what has been answered before. None of these discussions have expired in terms of relevancy to today.

All that said my synopsis of Fort Wayne is generally very positive. I have been here 7 years and if I thought the area sucked, I'd tell everyone... but instead my experiences have revealed that this mid-sized city has a whole lot to offer.

Crime is low with the exception of a couple areas downtown (in the suburbs the Sunday paper crime reports are a joke with mostly "theft from vehicle" mentioned if at all in most areas - check for yourself via the Journal Gazette at FortWayne.com : Fort Wayne news, sports, jobs, homes, cars).

Drugs are mostly a hidden problem and not all that apparent publically (there''s a midwest issue with meth these days - it's covered on the news enough to make me aware that its out there and I need to warn my children, but really other than rampant smoking by people who should know better I haven't seen anything).

Regarding things to do there's no shortage of things to do for those who seek things out. (vague but true - take a look at the things to do threads which already exist)

Most of the negative information I've seen posted on this board about "Fort Wayne" has come from people who 1) are of high school or college age - generally people who haven't been outside of Indiana much in their short lives - grass is greener elsewhere people, 2) people who have negative experiences regarding divorce or unemployment or having children unplanned who project those experiences onto the city as though it is the city's fault, and 3) people who are single and without children who haven't had any luck finding a mate and who feel overwhelmed by the number of couples and families in this vicinity.

Lastly, you seem concerned about receiving unbiased opinions about Fort Wayne but I'm compelled to tell you the truth... that will be impossible to find. Everyone has a "story" which comes with their opinion, and most everyone will omit telling you details of their story when they reveal their opinion. It's the nature of boards like these. I've tried to be as upfront as possible when sharing Fort Wayne information, but I doubt I am truly unbiased (and of course I'm not going to share every detail of my life with all the readers as that just wouldn't be prudent). My wife and I love this area so much we want to see other well-educated and/or intelligent folks move here to join us... I thus cannot stand reading criticism of this place without legitimate justification (but that happens a lot). Lastly as with all forums, you will see more negative posted on any topic than positive because it is in most everyone's nature to complain more than to praise.

Unread 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,184,621 times
mbuszu has provided some great info, and will off the following to chime in along the same vein. I have been in the FtW area also for about 7 years, and altho' don't live w/in the city, have spent time either working within, eating, shopping, going to concerts, games, playing, bike riding, etc. within the city. Crime seems to be more focused within a certain geographical area of the town, and according to some may be not improving too much - however, that is an opinion, of various peoples; have not seen data to prove/disprove such. Drugs, no knowledge of such - but feeling is that quite a bit of the crime is due to drugs. As to what to do around here, there are a few quite good state, county, city parks and recreational areas. Bike riding is also a good means to enjoy the outdoors; FtW has a bicycle club, btw. The city itself is expanding its greenway paths, and has a quite good downtown park, featuring many various festivals throughout the year. Myself, I too am an outdoors person, love the rugged hills/valleys of my Ozarks and the TAG [TN, AL, and GA] area, but still can find enough around this relatively flatter area to have some fun. Best of luck to you

Unread 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM

1,605 posts, read 2,694,076 times
I was born in Fort Wayne, raised there for the most part and have always had a love/hate for that city. One of the first things you will notice is that Fort Wayne may come across as a family values paradise, but there is definately a dark, seedy side to life in that city. In fact, Fort Wayne has the second most amount of strip clubs per capita than any other city in the nation. People generally seem very angry there. I have lived in 5 different states, and have traveled extensively and have never quite encountered such rudeness as I have experienced in Fort Wayne. Drugs are not much of a problem. Crime is isolated to the SE side of the city. And, if you are an outdoorsy person, forget it! Fort Wayne is a box store/ dull, gray concrete jungle surrounded by flatland with square areas of intermittent tress that have been clearcut for farmland. People either LOVE Fort Wayne (usually hardcore conservatives and Indiana lifers), but the VAST majority I have met are indifferent or hate it.

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,160,103 times
I was excited to move to Ft. Wayne, having been in NJ, CA, and MN. The people are very friendly, the life is slower paced, and there are many big-city accommodations in a very contemporary-albeit-small area. I enjoy the serenity of the Amish - Mennonite community, the low cost dining meals, and the peaceful lifestyle the city offers. My wife (a native of warmer climes) is cheered by the Christmas celebration in the air and the welcoming of the season. This weekend, she went to the mall and I could find a spot within 25 paces of the entrance at about 2 PM on Saturday. There were no bargains she saw that fit her ideas of gifts, but she was able to get in and out quickly.

I'm curious nevertheless - you say you have family here - what do they say about Fort Wayne? Were you looking for other opinions or to confirm theirs? You should find plenty to do in this town, enjoy yourselves.

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:35 PM

108 posts, read 262,111 times
Exclamation love??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I was born in Fort Wayne, raised there for the most part and have always had a love/hate for that city. One of the first things you will notice is that Fort Wayne may come across as a family values paradise, but there is definately a dark, seedy side to life in that city. In fact, Fort Wayne has the second most amount of strip clubs per capita than any other city in the nation. People generally seem very angry there. I have lived in 5 different states, and have traveled extensively and have never quite encountered such rudeness as I have experienced in Fort Wayne. Drugs are not much of a problem. Crime is isolated to the SE side of the city. And, if you are an outdoorsy person, forget it! Fort Wayne is a box store/ dull, gray concrete jungle surrounded by flatland with square areas of intermittent tress that have been clearcut for farmland. People either LOVE Fort Wayne (usually hardcore conservatives and Indiana lifers), but the VAST majority I have met are indifferent or hate it.
I can definately see the hate part of your love/hate relationship but what about the love? Tell us what you love about it. I grew up in Seattle and have the same feelings but I could tell you tons that I love about it, stuff that I hate about it too.

I can appreciate hearing both sides because I don't believe anywhere is perfect but show us possible newcomers some of the love.

Unread 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,881,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Fort Wayne has the second most amount of strip clubs per capita than any other city in the nation.
Interpol76 - I'd like to see where you got the data for the statement above. I have had no such luck finding validating statistics.

It's true there are strip clubs, but most other medium to large-sized US cities have them. It's not a shocking thing to me, and to be honest up until reading your statement I hadn't given it any thought in a long time.

Unread 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaMandamom View Post
I can definately see the hate part of your love/hate relationship but what about the love? Tell us what you love about it. I grew up in Seattle and have the same feelings but I could tell you tons that I love about it, stuff that I hate about it too.

I can appreciate hearing both sides because I don't believe anywhere is perfect but show us possible newcomers some of the love.
There isn't much I like about Fort Wayne. To me it is a very dull city for its size. I do like the fact that, other than the crime riddled pocket of the city, it is very safe. And, from a personal standpoint...People in Fort Wayne love hockey. Which is great, becasue I have been playing that sport since I was a little kid, hence there are a lot of players and leagues there. I will give Fort Wayne credit...they are at least trying to beautify the ugly downtown area.

Unread 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Interpol76 - I'd like to see where you got the data for the statement above. I have had no such luck finding validating statistics.

It's true there are strip clubs, but most other medium to large-sized US cities have them. It's not a shocking thing to me, and to be honest up until reading your statement I hadn't given it any thought in a long time.
I'm not sure where you would find info like that. I had a sociology professer at IPFW a few years ago share that information with the class. Whether or not he is being truthful, I have no idea. He also said that Fort Wayne has the most amount of churches per capita than any other city in the midwest.

Unread 12-24-2007, 04:01 PM

153 posts, read 292,101 times
There are a few neighborhoods near the downtown area that are kinda rough, but other than that, Fort Wayne is a pretty safe town.
Fort Wayne has alot of negative stereotypes, like being a town with lots of stupid people, fat people, and always flooding. But I don't think there is much truth to those stereotypes.
There is plenty of things to do if you like parks, bike riding, malls, restaurants, minor league sports, and movies. But the downtown is pretty boring, and its a struggle to find stuff for tourists to do. There are no major tourist attractions for out-of-towners to visit.
For its size, I would say that Fort Wayne is a typical midwest town. Very conservative and nothing too exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne