Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 37,775 times

Advertisements

Fort Wayne is one of the best places I've been in my life. It's big enough to be fun, and it's small enough to be quiet. It has just everything a city need: Schools, hospitals, parks, and many entertainment options. The weather is nice, 4 enjoyable seasons! It's a safe city if compared with most of the Midwestern cities its size. Fort Wayne is just a GREAT city!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Fort Wayne is less and less becoming an underrated city. The city is attracting great jobs and is big enough to be a regional city for the surrounding population. It has, and is, undergoing a transformation as we speak. I think, in terms of the Midwest, it has a lot going for it. But that is not to stay that other cities, similar to its size, aren't doing the same thing. I would rate it as a good city to live in and raise a family. I really like the amount of investment that is going into the downtown. Finally people are starting to realize that a great downtown speaks a lot about how the city is overall. Many Midwestern cities are starting to realize this and I think it will be great a couple decades down the road.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
I don't think Fort Wayne is underrated at all. Maybe nationally but certainly not in Indiana. Almost everyone I met when I lived there that grew up there hated it, but they were mostly people in their teens and 20s and I've found that to be the case just about everywhere.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Fort Wayne is awesome - that is for sure. There is little of importance it doesn't have and it has great "bones" - good families and businesses. I don't think it's underrated; I just feel like people in the West and East have hardly heard of it; but that's just because you rarely if ever find it in the national headlines.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 37,775 times
Yes, that's what I mean. Maybe in Indiana Fort Wayne has a good reputation, but nationwide, it's almost unknown. When you talk about Indiana with people from New York, for example, they imagine it like Indy and a lot of small rural towns... They don't know we have other "real cities" here... And when you ask about Fort Wayne, most people say stuff like: Never heard of... or, Where is it located?

Old 12-08-2014, 02:20 PM

It's about the same size as Lincoln, Nebraska. Would anyone know anything about Lincoln if the University of Nebraska wasn't there? Then again, does anyone know anything about Lincoln other than that the university is located there? I doubt it. Same with Madison, Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin. If IU's main campus were located in Fort Wayne, or Purdue, or Notre Dame, it would be a lot more on the national radar. As it is, it's so close to so many bigger cities, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Toledo, that I think that's a big reason it falls by the wayside in the national consciousness. It's not isolated like Spokane or Anchorage. It doesn't have a major pro sports team like Green Bay. It's not a state capital like Des Moines, IA or Jackson, MS. It's not the biggest city in the state like Birmingham, AL or Boise, ID. It's not part of a large metro complex like Salt Lake City. It's not a tourist destination like Reno or Orlando. All of these cities are similar in size or smaller than Fort Wayne.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
I love the OP's post. So nice to hear people that appreciate their home town.

I found the thread interesting for the fact that Fort Wayne has recently been looking at my hometown of Des Moines for ideas to become even a better city. Very flattering from my perspective that they regarding Des Moines is such a positive light that they are looking to emulate us.

Anyway, did a google search and found some related links if anyone is interested:

"Behind Des Moines' Secret": A Special Report | 21Alive: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, and CW | Local

http://www.fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/320124415

http://www.livingfortwayne.com/2014/...for-community/

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 12-08-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I love the OP's post. So nice to hear people that appreciate their home town.

I found the thread interesting for the fact that Fort Wayne has recently been looking at my hometown of Des Moines for ideas to become even a better city. Very flattering from my perspective that they regarding Des Moines is such a positive light that they are looking to emulate us.

Anyway, did a google search and found some related links if anyone is interested:

"Behind Des Moines' Secret": A Special Report | 21Alive: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, and CW | Local

Mayor, second Fort Wayne group return from Des Moines visit | FortWayne.com - Fort Wayne IN

A Love for Community, Visiting Des Moines | Living Fort Wayne
I've actually had the desire to go to Des Moines some day. I've driven through on I-80 many times and spent the night in a hotel once but it was just off the highway. Never been downtown or anything. I've heard a lot of great things about that city, though.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I've actually had the desire to go to Des Moines some day. I've driven through on I-80 many times and spent the night in a hotel once but it was just off the highway. Never been downtown or anything. I've heard a lot of great things about that city, though.
Yes, come visit sometime!

If you travel I-80 often, at the very least, take the I-235 exit instead of going around the metro on I-80 (unless it is rush hour which really only last from approx 7-8:30am, 4:30-5:45pm weekdays). This will bring you right next to downtown (if you want to explore) or if you just want to drive through, I-235 dumps you back onto I-80 on the other end.

I'm interested in checking out Fort Wayne sometime myself. I just don't have reason to go east that often, so will have to make it part of a trip sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne