U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 01:32 AM

29 posts, read 91,262 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, our family will be relocating to the Fort Wayne (or surrounding areas) in the next couple of months. I would prefer a nice quiet home in the country. We have a daughter that will be going to high school so good schools are a must. Our son just graduated college and will be looking for a job as a software engineer. I am an accountant and my husband has his own business. We are excited about the move and I look forward to reading all of your replies. Trying to stay under the $200k range for a home, nothing fancy but a couple acres of land would be ideal.

Thank you for all your help, it is most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM

624 posts, read 1,540,261 times
First of all, welcome to Indiana and specifically, Fort Wayne! Fort Wayne is a great city with a population around 258,000. Interestingly enough, the city does not have MAJOR suburbs, so there is plenty of rural living available with a short drive to the city. Very convenient if you ask me!

To answer your questions:

1) The area I would consider the most would be the rural areas around Leo, Grabill, and Cedarville. These are very small communities just outside the Fort Wayne city boundaries. Plenty of nice homes on large properties and very affordable. Schools are top-notch, especially the Leo Jr/Sr High School. They are part of East Allen County Schools. East Allen County Schools gets a bad rep because there are many different schools within this district. Some are rough, but Leo Jr/Sr is the standout of East Allen County Schools.

2) $200,000 for a home here is going to get you almost everything you want. Home prices are very affordable in Indiana and I think you will find that very true when you are searching for a house.

3) Lastly, if Leo doesn't strike your fancy then maybe the Huntertown area would? Just another suggestion.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Thank you so much, cdr18, I thought I would never get anybody to answer my questions! I would love to live in a rural setting; especially after living in the bustle and bustle (and angry) of the overpopulated DFW metro area. It will be a most welcome peaceful living situation for me. I appreciate all your help. :-)

Old 07-28-2015, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
Welcome to the Hoosier State. As for rural living, anything outside the I-69/469 loop is OK, but I agree with cdr18 that the Leo-Cedarville and Grabill areas are the most country. Many Amish live in that part of Allen county, so horse and buggy are a daily part of the traffic mix. If you are looking for horse country, that is the place.
If you want a little more urbane, I would suggest looking west of Fort Wayne in the Homestead HS area. Southwest Allen county schools are another good school district. $200k will easily net you a home you will be comfortable with.
Avoid the southeast part of Fort Wayne. That is the high crime area with murders on a nearly daily basis. I define southeast as east of Fairfield and south of Washington/Jefferson Blvd to I-469. Just read a few editions of the city paper: journalgazette.net and see for yourself.
Brace yourself for major culture shock. Unlike DFW, Fort Wayne has no major league teams. Minor league hockey (big), baseball and basketball. No pro or semi-pro football. There are no restaurants worthy of note in the city. Chain restaurant city. Shopping, too, is limited. No Dillards or Nordstrom. The catalog/Amazon will be your friend. We have a symphony orchestra, theater group, and art museum, along with a children's zoo, but again, nothing near what is available in the DFW area. Big city this is not.
The local airport is a distant spoke in the airline hub and spoke system. Flying out of FWA will cost you $$$$, vs. flying out of Indianapolis.
Good things about our area: Pickles - Made north of the city by Sechler's. Tomatoes - Canned by Red Gold southwest of the city. RVs - The RV capital of the US is about a hour's drive northwest of Ft. Wayne, near Elkhart. Handmade furniture - anywhere in Northeast Indiana. The Amish - cooking to die for and craftsmanship that is second to none.. Some of the lowest cost of living in the US.
As for living in Indiana, I hope you like basketball and open wheel car racing. Both are near religions in this state. Be prepared for your friends and relations to ask if you can get good tickets to the Indianapolis 500. (SilverChalice family, Start Your Engines!)
There are three main universities in Fort Wayne: the combined regional campus of both Purdue University and Indiana University (IPFW), Indiana Institute of Technology (Indiana Tech), and St. Francis University (Catholic). There are a whole slew of commercial and religious schools in town as well.
As for your son looking for a software engineering job, there are many software companies in this town. Used to be heavily tilted towards military (DoD), but that segment is fading away. Medical software is taking its place.
Hope this helps. Once again, welcome to Indiana.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Thank you so much for your very helpful and detailed reply, RoadMaster1959, I will certainly take your info and work from there. I appreciate your insight. Took a trip up there a couple weeks ago and we really like the outer areas - Churubusco, Woodburn, Avilla and around the Leo area. Loved the friendly people, something not common in the DFW. I don't think we have ever seen so many endless fields of corn, just beautiful. The weather is definitely a plus. :-)

Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 PM

13 posts, read 16,900 times
Just like to add that you may look into the Warsaw area, which is an hour west of Ft Wayne. It is considered "The Orthopedic Capital". It is a smaller town of just over 14K, but several of the major orthopedic companies, design & manufacture in Warsaw, such as Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, Othy Symmetry, OrhoPediatrics, & a wide array of smaller places that feed into the larger ones. If you are not interested in "small town living", it may be worth the commute. Also Paragon Medical about 5 miles east of Warsaw. Lots of good job opportunities. On a side note, we lived in the DFW area (Arlington) for a couple of yrs, but have been in this area about 30 yrs now...& don't miss DFW one single bit! Welcome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or