Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,037,498 times

Advertisements

I just compared these two cities, I was surprised! I've lived in CO Springs all my life and I was in Denver for the summer, and I generally like the climate, it's pretty livable. I decided to see where eastwards in the US would be similar, and I found Ft. Wayne to line up quite a bit.

It looks like Ft. Wayne's winters are more compact, which means not as many warm 60 degree days in Jan. like Denver can have, but the growing season is longer and winter is over sooner. Denver can be pretty drab from Oct. - Dec. with Feb - April being the fun months for snow activity. But Average snowfall is similar, average sunny hours is slightly less for Ft. Wayne (not as much as you would think for how sunny CO is talked up to be), and average humidity is significantly higher (approx 20%) as the rainfall is about triple.

What does this mean? I think this means that Ft. Wayne (and Indiana and really the whole southern great lakes region) actually has a pretty decent climate. Definitely continental and seasonal, but not ungodly cold or hot. Also people talk up Denver's climate like its the California coast or something, but it's continental and seasonal with hots and colds just like a lot of the US. A lot of people like the much more arid, erratic climate of Colorado, but I myself prefer higher precipitation and humidity, as I like greenery and plants.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,952,862 times
I think a person can find paradise wherever they are as it is mainly a state of mind. I have never taken issue with Fort Wayne's weather, you get all four seasons and a balance of precipitation.

"Averages" do hide the truth somewhat however, as the winters of the past two years were lengthy and more snowy compared to the prior decade.

BTW, current weather models are showing this winter is going to be very mild due to El Nino... If that materializes, I anticipate as in mild winters of the past that Fort Wayne will not have more than 2 significant snow events (where everyone is shoveling out driveways) and Spring will hit in a hurry in early February. This will be good as usually the mild winters can even involve riding bikes or taking walks in 50-60 degree weather up through December.... I enjoy that ;-)

Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,456 times
Fort Wayne weather is awful. It can changes several times throughout the day. The summers (not long, are hot with some humidity). Sun doesn't shine for days on end in summer or winter. The winters are the worst. Gray days with the sky the same color as the asphalt. Cold, blowy winds. Ice sheets on the roads. Sleet, rain mixed with ice. Schools always having delayed starts or canceled due to weather.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,201,791 times
Fort Wayne is much wetter than Denver.

Attached Thumbnails
Ft Wayne's climate (except precipitation) is similar to Denver?!?-ftwyclicapture.png   Ft Wayne's climate (except precipitation) is similar to Denver?!?-denverclicapture.png  

Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 14,651 times
I have lived in both. While temperatures may be similar, that heat index and humidity make them feel completely different. I found Fort Wayne to be much MUCH more humid than Denver area (lived in Northglenn). In terms of snow, Fort Wayne has a much heavier, wetter snow than Denver which has much more fluff and powder like snow. Because of the mountains and valleys, Denver has more cool winds which make for relief when temperatures are high- and there are times in Fort Wayne that the wind literally feels like you are just blowing a heater fan in your face when there is wind.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 PM

104 posts, read 107,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I just compared these two cities, I was surprised! I've lived in CO Springs all my life and I was in Denver for the summer, and I generally like the climate, it's pretty livable. I decided to see where eastwards in the US would be similar, and I found Ft. Wayne to line up quite a bit.

It looks like Ft. Wayne's winters are more compact, which means not as many warm 60 degree days in Jan. like Denver can have, but the growing season is longer and winter is over sooner. Denver can be pretty drab from Oct. - Dec. with Feb - April being the fun months for snow activity. But Average snowfall is similar, average sunny hours is slightly less for Ft. Wayne (not as much as you would think for how sunny CO is talked up to be), and average humidity is significantly higher (approx 20%) as the rainfall is about triple.

What does this mean? I think this means that Ft. Wayne (and Indiana and really the whole southern great lakes region) actually has a pretty decent climate. Definitely continental and seasonal, but not ungodly cold or hot. Also people talk up Denver's climate like its the California coast or something, but it's continental and seasonal with hots and colds just like a lot of the US. A lot of people like the much more arid, erratic climate of Colorado, but I myself prefer higher precipitation and humidity, as I like greenery and plants.

Thoughts?
If you think 330 days of precipitation, 9 months of winter, and -60 degrees is "not ungodly cold", then more power to you. You should move to Alaska!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 PM

104 posts, read 107,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryjune View Post
Fort Wayne weather is awful. It can changes several times throughout the day. The summers (not long, are hot with some humidity). Sun doesn't shine for days on end in summer or winter. The winters are the worst. Gray days with the sky the same color as the asphalt. Cold, blowy winds. Ice sheets on the roads. Sleet, rain mixed with ice. Schools always having delayed starts or canceled due to weather.
Sounds beautiful!

I am from New York...

Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriay01 View Post
I have lived in both. While temperatures may be similar, that heat index and humidity make them feel completely different. I found Fort Wayne to be much MUCH more humid than Denver area (lived in Northglenn). In terms of snow, Fort Wayne has a much heavier, wetter snow than Denver which has much more fluff and powder like snow. Because of the mountains and valleys, Denver has more cool winds which make for relief when temperatures are high- and there are times in Fort Wayne that the wind literally feels like you are just blowing a heater fan in your face when there is wind.
Well said. I've lived in Fort Wayne and Salt Lake City, and my experience mirrors yours. I prefer the climate in SLC by a large margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: