Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived in Fort Wayne from Nov. 2002 through Aug. 2005. After living several other places, we are looking for a good place to retire. So, on a recent trip to visit family in the Chicago area, we re-visited FW for a couple of days. We spent most of that time checking out the availability of decent apartments, so the trip seemed very rushed and we didn't get a good feel for how FW changed for the better or worse in the 10 years since we lived there. When we last lived there, I was quite busy with a demanding job and my wife was quite busy with our daughter (now grown and living in Texas) and her school activities, so we don't have a good sense of how living in FW would be for retired persons.

During our recent visit, we saw the new library, which was still under construction when we left FW. We were very impressed with the library when we lived there, and are even more impressed now. Late Friday afternoon during our visit, we went to Jefferson Point to go to a restaurant, but decided to head back to Chicago when we found long lines and no parking spaces available whatsoever. We also got caught in fairly bad traffic jams in a couple of other locations earlier that day. When we lived in FW, we never encountered that type of crowding and traffic.

Some background: When we lived in FW previously, we had an apartment in the SW Allen County area. I often had to complete work projects at home on the evenings and weekends, but I felt I was very productive in FW. One of my main activities in off-work hours was going to the library. One of my main uses of the library was its music collection, and I loved discovering new music in all genres. About a year ago, I had heart bypass surgery, but recovered well with no physical limitations. After the surgery, I changed my lifestyle and started walking daily and eating right. So, access to good doctors, places to walk, and healthier options for eating out and food shopping are important factors for me to consider. We didn't get to know many people when we previously lived in FW (other than some work acquaintances and apartment neighbors), but would like to develop more friendships of similar age people in our retirement. Also, when we previously lived in FW, we attended several of the Catholic churches, but weren't very active in any parish; in retirement, we would like to be more actively involved, and perhaps, take on some other volunteer activities, e.g., literacy. My wife has extensive experience as a substitute teacher (BA-level, not certified) in other places we've lived, and might like to do some similar work in FW. Other locations we are considering are Norman, OK (where we previously lived) and Lincoln, NE (where we currently live). Though we currently rent an apartment, we would consider buying a small house. I am 63 years old and my wife is 62.

We would appreciate any and all comments on how FW has changed over the past 10 years and on how it might be as a retirement location. Also, if anyone also has lived in either Norman or Lincoln, any comparisons would be useful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,263,919 times
Well, my experience with Norman was probably very different from yours since I was a college student. Norman always struck me as the very definition of a college town. I'm sure there are quieter parts, but I never had a car so I took the bus, mostly just between campus and the mall. Even with the access to Oklahoma City, I'd prefer living in Fort Wayne. I lived in the Fort close to the same time you did, from 2002 until late 2004. I still have friends there and living in Indianapolis I get back to Fort Wayne occasionally. The downtown area is greatly improved. Even back then, I loved parking near Headwaters Park and walking around downtown including many trips to the library. Other than festival weekends, downtown was usually pretty dead when I would be down there. It's very different today, especially when there's a baseball game going on. Unlike you, though, I do remember restaurants having long waits on the weekend at Jefferson Pointe. About 5 years back I remember waiting for over 2 hours for a table at Biaggis because my friend insisted it was worth it (it wasn't). I'm Catholic though I never got involved in any parishes in Fort Wayne. I have a couple friends that are Catholic and went to Bishop Dwenger High School. There are a lot of Catholic parishes in Fort Wayne since it is the headquarters for the South Bend-Fort Wayne dioceses. The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is gorgeous if you've never taken a tour. Fort Wayne seems a lot more accessible and there seemed to be a lot more activities and things going on compared to Norman, where most things revolved around the university. Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
I've been in Fort Wayne for the past 13 years, it has changed considerably. Since I've been here diversity has increased, political views have relaxed from Republican to more Liberal/Democratic, many businesses are doing better, the airport now has Allegiant (a low cost carrier) that enables you to travel to popular vacation destinations quickly/affordably, and the number of educated transplants has increased exponentially as the hospital, university and orthopedic industries have expanded/done better. As you mentioned a new Main library has been built and is magnificent, the War Memorial Coliseum has also undergone a major face-lift, and Parkview Field has been created as well. There's a ton going on, I have also seen downtown Fort Wayne begun to transform into a desirable place to live (West Central and Lakeside Park areas in particular). I nearly forgot to mention the fantastic bike/jogging trails that have been created across and through the entire city - my family and I use these nearly every day we can!

Regarding retiring in FW, I think it would be a great town for you. Cost of living is ridiculously low compared to most of the US and generally the people are very nice here. I don't know where the future will bring me, but for now, my kids and I enjoy it here. Having lived in the SW Vicinity (several residences) for many years my family and I are now ready to relocate to downtown. There's some great neighborhoods and affordable homes available and it appears that all the changes the past two decades have wrought have been positive...

If I was to advise someone to retire here (someone healthy/active), I would definitely take a look in the downtown area before considering the suburbs for the simple reason that it is much more feasible to live within a mile of everything you need, there's lots of bike trails, and the building/construction trends are very positive.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM

625 posts, read 1,809,852 times
I've noticed that the traffic has became an issue, especially during rush hour time. There has been population growth both in the city, as well as outside in the county. Not too mention, people keep moving to the northwest, northeast, and southwest sides of town. Downtown is perhaps the most recognizable transformation as the growth is quite substantial for a city of its size. Another recognizable transformation is the Dupont Road corridor which has experienced perhaps the most commercial and residential growth in all of Fort Wayne.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 14,469 times
I think it's a great place for retirement. I can't compare it to 10years ago but I think now it has enough activities and there is always something happening at the library. I suggested Ft. Wayne to my parents, we have figured out ways to avoid the heavy traffic although as Chicagoans it isn't much of a hassle for us.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 20,056 times
We plan to retire in FW, in 6-7 yrs, & just recently purchased our retirement home, to rent till we retire:

SWAC HOME FOR RENT! NO MOWING!

The neighborhood is mainly retirees, has a neighborhood pool, tennis courts, club house, & scheduled activities/dinners/game nights. The HOA does the mowing & leaf clean up.
As you probably know, this SWAC area is quite beautiful, with neighborhoods of rolling hills, & connected by paved walkways that intertwine thru the area.
The cost of living is definitely lower than many neighboring areas, & there is plenty going on with many festivals & such downtown, shows at the Embassy Theater, events at the Coliseum, or the ballpark downtown, etc....
We are very much looking forward to the day we can retire & live in FW permanently!

If you are interested in looking at this home to rent, please let me know.

Last edited by paw423; 11-01-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 PM

104 posts, read 108,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmafw View Post
My wife and I lived in Fort Wayne from Nov. 2002 through Aug. 2005. After living several other places, we are looking for a good place to retire. So, on a recent trip to visit family in the Chicago area, we re-visited FW for a couple of days. We spent most of that time checking out the availability of decent apartments, so the trip seemed very rushed and we didn't get a good feel for how FW changed for the better or worse in the 10 years since we lived there. When we last lived there, I was quite busy with a demanding job and my wife was quite busy with our daughter (now grown and living in Texas) and her school activities, so we don't have a good sense of how living in FW would be for retired persons.

During our recent visit, we saw the new library, which was still under construction when we left FW. We were very impressed with the library when we lived there, and are even more impressed now. Late Friday afternoon during our visit, we went to Jefferson Point to go to a restaurant, but decided to head back to Chicago when we found long lines and no parking spaces available whatsoever. We also got caught in fairly bad traffic jams in a couple of other locations earlier that day. When we lived in FW, we never encountered that type of crowding and traffic.

Some background: When we lived in FW previously, we had an apartment in the SW Allen County area. I often had to complete work projects at home on the evenings and weekends, but I felt I was very productive in FW. One of my main activities in off-work hours was going to the library. One of my main uses of the library was its music collection, and I loved discovering new music in all genres. About a year ago, I had heart bypass surgery, but recovered well with no physical limitations. After the surgery, I changed my lifestyle and started walking daily and eating right. So, access to good doctors, places to walk, and healthier options for eating out and food shopping are important factors for me to consider. We didn't get to know many people when we previously lived in FW (other than some work acquaintances and apartment neighbors), but would like to develop more friendships of similar age people in our retirement. Also, when we previously lived in FW, we attended several of the Catholic churches, but weren't very active in any parish; in retirement, we would like to be more actively involved, and perhaps, take on some other volunteer activities, e.g., literacy. My wife has extensive experience as a substitute teacher (BA-level, not certified) in other places we've lived, and might like to do some similar work in FW. Other locations we are considering are Norman, OK (where we previously lived) and Lincoln, NE (where we currently live). Though we currently rent an apartment, we would consider buying a small house. I am 63 years old and my wife is 62.

We would appreciate any and all comments on how FW has changed over the past 10 years and on how it might be as a retirement location. Also, if anyone also has lived in either Norman or Lincoln, any comparisons would be useful. Thanks.
250,000 people and only one library???

Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,263,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga99 View Post
250,000 people and only one library???
No, that post was talking about the main central library downtown. There are 13 other branch libraries around the city and county.

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne