U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 24,941 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're thinking of moving there soon and have found some great houses. Can anyone tell me about fishing, kayaking, hiking, camping etc - that kind of stuff? Husband really likes it and I do too. Is there a good website for that kind of thing? Thanks much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:49 PM

29,335 posts, read 22,169,500 times
There isn't a lot of good outdoor activity in north central IN, but there is some.

Mississinewa Lake is in Miami County and is a decent lake for light boating, fishing, and walking around.

Potato Creek near Michigan is not far and is a good experience. So are the Indiana Dunes and places in Michigan

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,207,412 times
There are some nearby state parks. Ouabache (pronounced Wabash) is south of Fort Wayne near Bluffton. The longest trail is 6 miles. Northwest there is Chain O' Lakes State Park. It's a popular place for boating and fishing. It's longest trail is 2 and a half miles. North near Angola is Pokagon State Park. It is probably the most popular in the area. It has a large inn and in the winter it has a very popular tobaggan run. It has several parks that are close to of over 2 miles in length. There is a large lake as well. I know you can rent paddle boats and canoes. I'd imagine you can bring your own kayak. Right across I-69 is the Trine State Recreational Area. There is a smaller lake with fishing and a boat dock. There aren't many trails, though the longest is over 2 miles. All of these state parks offer camping spots.

Roush Lake, which is created by the Huntington Dam, is surrounded by Kil-So-Quah State Recreation Area and Little Turtle State Recreation Area, though I think the whole thing is now simply known as Roush Lake Fish and Wildlife Area. You can do kayaking and fishing there and there is a small campground. There used to be a beach for swimming but I don't know if it's still open. I do not believe there is any hiking, though, as hunting is allowed.

All of those places mentioned are within an hour drive of Fort Wayne. Check out DNR: DNR Home for more information on all these places. Within Fort Wayne itself, there is Lindenwood Nature Preserve, with some pretty short trails and no camping or fishing. No kayaking either. South of the city is Fox Island County Park. It has a few longer trails and fishing (for an extra fee). Not really a good place for kayaking and I don't know that they allow camping.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Thanks, guys!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM

79 posts, read 291,456 times
One cannot overlook Steuben Co with over 100 lakes to swim / fish / boat. Pigeon River has many places to go canoeing or rafting / tubing. Lake James is popular with the ski boat crowd, but for quiet fishing, there are 50 or so smaller lakes loaded with some of the best crappie and bluegill anyone could ask for. Don't even get me started on ice fishing. 60 or so palm sized gills make for a spectacular breakfast.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:18 AM

43 posts, read 190,326 times
Northeast Indiana has plenty of outdoor activities, but depending on what you want to do, occasionally might take a bit of digging to find. The helpful folks above provided some really great options/ideas. In addition to the Indiana State Parks & State Rec Areas (and all their amenities), for hiking check out ACRES Land Trust (ACRES | ACRES Preserves), Little River Wetlands Project (Little River Wetlands Project), & Allen County Parks Dept (Allen County Parks). They have preserved some really wonderful, beautiful area places & host some fun events. Obviously don't expect rugged hiking & views like the Appalachians or out west, but you may be surprised by what you can find here. We hike, kayak, boat, camp, SUP, bike, etc. in many places around the country and always enjoy our "close to home" options as well - hope you will, too. Best of luck!

Old 10-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Offer on house accepted, so we may be there soon! Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,618 times
All of New York has surpased California in cost of living ( [url]http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2017/05/16/5-states-Magazine[/url] ) including upstate NY and the much hyped "Tech Valley".

Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,035 times
My husband is the outdoors type, he loves mountain biking, hiking, etc. We actually recently moved here from Colorado. There’s no comparison that’s for sure, but he has found trails to ride and there a lot of open space (nature preserve) parks, as well as hundreds of lakes. We’re really starting to love it here! If you need any help with housing, I’m happy to help good luck!

Old 05-04-2018, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,189 times
My wife and I have kyacks we like to go on the St Joe north it is very calm and secluded. There is good fishing and hunting all over this part of Indiana. There are a thousand lakes between Fort Wayne and the Michigan border an hour North. We night fish on the Three Rivers and never have had an issue with safety. Look into the Indiana DNR and they will have resources to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne