Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 PM

6,542 posts, read 6,579,805 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with Fort Wayne, but find it interesting that the city has a manufacturing history and is larger now that it was mid-20th century. What has the city done to avoid the decline many other cities have faced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,110,093 times
They annexed. A lot.

https://www.cityoffortwayne.org/imag...story_2010.pdf

Quote:
Since the early 1950's Fort Wayne has extensively utilized annexation as a tool to keep up with the patterns of suburban sprawl. In fact, over 175 individual annexations have been initiated by Fort Wayne over the past five decades. These annexations included both voluntary and involuntary annexations
https://www.fwcommunitydevelopment.org/planning

And, you know there’s a separate Fort Wayne subforum now.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:20 PM

6,542 posts, read 6,579,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
They annexed. A lot.

Thanks, makes more sense now. The subforum looked dead so posted here instead.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,895,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
They annexed. A lot.

Fascinating to see how much they have annexed. Where did you get that if I may know?

Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,531,211 times
I remember WOWO 1190 in the 1960's. It was the clearest am radio station that we could pick up in Muncie. It came in clearer than WIBC which was the clearest am radio station out of Indianapolis that you get in Muncie, but sometimes it came with alot of static and snow, which WOWO never did. WOWO had a very strong signal. It was in the dead of winter, 1971, about 4 o'clock in the morning, about 5 degrees below zero outside and me and my cousin were pretty much smack-dab in the middle of Kansas heading west on Interstate 70 and scanning the am radio dial for some good music and all of sudden WOWO came in clear as a bell. We were amazed, so we listened to it until it faded out.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:06 PM

468 posts, read 454,064 times
I lived in Fort Wayne for 34 years. Many of the annexations took place under mayor Paul Helmke.

The Defense industry has always been pretty steady in Fort Wayne over the years and there used to be a decent insurance industry at one time. I always felt Fort Wayne was less dependent on the automobile industry as compared to central Indiana. Perhaps the city survived better after Harvester left due to more diversity of businesses.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:54 AM

307 posts, read 249,205 times
Fort Wayne native and current resident here....What the others have said is true. FW went into a bit of a slump but pulled itself out rather quickly....currently I'd say our largest industry is healthcare. We've also focused a lot on revitalizing our downtown. I have a love/hate relationship with this place lol!

Old 07-05-2021, 09:23 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,408,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I lived in Fort Wayne for 34 years. Many of the annexations took place under mayor Paul Helmke.

The Defense industry has always been pretty steady in Fort Wayne over the years and there used to be a decent insurance industry at one time. I always felt Fort Wayne was less dependent on the automobile industry as compared to central Indiana. Perhaps the city survived better after Harvester left due to more diversity of businesses.

I'm here in FW on business on a regular basis, and can back this up. Sure parts of the city which centered around specific companies like Harvester are fairly or pretty rundown these days, meaning no investment to speak of, the city is very stable economically and financially, as a whole.

My hunch is if the Electric Works project does get a bit of traction, that part of the city by downtown will perk up. Over the weekend I had a conversation with a local here who said some property purchases have happened just north of the RR tracks on Broadway, so the project goes beyond the former boundary of the GE complex, apparently.

Central IN by comparison has its share of really rundown Rust Belt towns, Marion is probably the worst.

I think too that FW's location being closer to MI and NW Ohio helps, the area is also very dependent upon logistics, as it has been since the 19th C. RR and trucking activity are both very robust, the area really is blessed with a steadily-growing economy.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
Really not about annexations, Allen County has also grown robustly during the same time frame similar sized counties home to cities like Toledo or Flint are that had major population loss. Most simply it is because Indiana is a far more business friendly and lower tax state so jobs were added rather than lost. This is true across most of Indiana other the NW suburbs of Chicago.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,895,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Really not about annexations, Allen County has also grown robustly during the same time frame similar sized counties home to cities like Toledo or Flint are that had major population loss. Most simply it is because Indiana is a far more business friendly and lower tax state so jobs were added rather than lost. This is true across most of Indiana other the NW suburbs of Chicago.
I think South Bend would be an exception, but overall I agree with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne