Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,882 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Fort Wayne (my area's zip is 46808) and I'd appreciate some tips on how to navigate a new city. For instance, what are some roads and highways I should learn so I can quickly get my bearings?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
Are you staying hear long term?? Basically, Fort Wayne is really easy to navigate through both with interstates as well as outlying roads and downtown. (besides the one-ways). First and foremost, I-69 is the heavily traveled highway that trancends Fort Wayne to the west. This has many exits including Dupont, Coldwater, Lima, US 30, Illinois, and Jefferson Roads. The outer loop, also known as I-469, provides interstate access that circles the city of Fort Wayne. As far as the zip code of 46808, the heavily traveled roads from west to east include Bass Road, Illinois Road, and Covington Road. The north-south roads would include Huguenard, and Ardmore. The best routes to take going into downtown would definitely be Jefferson and Spring Street. Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
I don't live in Ft. Wayne, but have been there many times. I would suggest if you are traveling Colosseum Blvd. in the stretch near Glenbrook Square and the Colosseum or IPFW during the normal rush hour times, allow yourself some extra travel time. Coldwater in that area isn't quite as bad (IMO) butit is pretty busy too. (But then I live in a town of 4,000 people so I'm not used to a lot of traffic anyway.)

Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Yes yes, allow plenty of time traveling Coliseum Blvd. Perhaps the busiest road in Fort Wayne.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
I would have to say that Coldwater and Coliseum are both bad, but one of the worst back ups in the city is Illinois Road heading west past I-69. It will be better though when construction is done.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Nearly every road in northern Fort Wayne and Southwest Fort Wayne is really busy during rush hour. But hey, that means people have jobs as well! The more congested the better!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
one of the worst back ups in the city is Illinois Road heading west past I-69. It will be better though when construction is done.
I don't think this section is bad at all right now except in rush hour. This summer was horrible, but it would seem that much of the construction is now done (or done enough to allow decent traffic flow). The nice thing is that parallel to Illinois Rd. is both Covington Rd. and Bass Rd. so there are alternate routes available.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottowonder View Post
I don't think this section is bad at all right now except in rush hour. This summer was horrible, but it would seem that much of the construction is now done (or done enough to allow decent traffic flow). The nice thing is that parallel to Illinois Rd. is both Covington Rd. and Bass Rd. so there are alternate routes available.
Well when I was in Fort Wayne a month ago it was better around Hadley road and I-69, but once you got to the Falls of Beaver Creek light traffic was a mess in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne