U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:01 PM

27 posts, read 88,272 times

Advertisements

Can any of you stand another "I might be moving to DFW and need advice"?? I would be working on the north side of Ft. Worth. From what I've read, property taxes vary greatly IAW "ISD". I do not have children so the school district would not be a consideration for me. I'm interested in small home or condo/townhouse communities. I'm a single woman, 55, so safety is a major concern. I like convenience - don't want to live "out in the sticks" however, I don't want to be in "Party Central". Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,738 times
Actually, you shouldn't be putting in for the ISD because of your age. Just one of the great things about being older You fall into an age specific homestead in most areas.

So that is a very good thing. It really depends on what price range you are looking at and what is important to you. You have a lot of options. You might take a look at Robson Ranch. That is a kind of Del Webb type community that has a lot of amenities and that is north of Fort Worth. There are places that are family areas. I think pretty much anywhere that anyone will recommend on this board would be safe.

I can tell you to specifically stay away from areas north of downtown proper and due east of the city itself. For property tax information, use Tarrant Appraisal District for the Tarrant County Appraisal District. Good luck to you!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM

27 posts, read 88,272 times
Thanks for the info. I really don't want to live in a retirement community - sometimes that demographic tends to be a bit intolerant. Could anyone recommend some townhouse/condo communities?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,738 times
I know what you mean. My Mom is 66 and she didn't want to be around any "old" people. There is actually a thriving downtown condo communities, very trendy and fun. I am sure that there will be more people that no about it, but that might be something to look into..other than that there are pockets of different types of communities in different areas.

Keller has some condos. You might look into MidCities area. Synopsis is from there, so I am sure he would chime in. Loves2Read is from that area as well.

There is the whole area around TCU which is absolutely lovely although I am not sure if there are condos, duplexes or townhouses. TCU and the university area is really very lovely. Heavily treed with the Trinity River flowing through. They have a very vibrant river front project that is ongoing which is supposed to be in the same likeness as The Riverwalk in San Antonio.

I guess what I really love about the area is that they really have a great vision and they have the guts to move it forward. A lot of cities just don't have that type of leadership.

Have you visited the area yet?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 AM

27,453 posts, read 44,947,050 times
I don't think 55 is the age when you start to get exemptions on your home/land (or else we would have them)---we live in Bedford which has frozen tax rates for older residents but it only starts at 62--so she needs to check each taxing entitiy to see what is applicable in her situation...
ISD is always significant for resale even if someone does not have children in school--and I think you can see from so many posts--that good schools mean good neighborhoods for the most part---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth