U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,042,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Fort Worth in general isn't a huge 'walking' city. Of course there are certain pockets of area that are more conducive to being out and about. I think most people drive to a general area, then walk about it. For instance, Sundance Square as mentioned and the Stockyards are both great places to do fun things, eat and shop, however I wouldn't want to live around there.

Austin is much more of a walking city. I have a daughter at UT and she and all her friends walk all over surrounding the campus and downtown. While driving through you see tons of foot traffic, much more than you'll ever see in here Fort Worth.
I agree. There are some really nice walkable cities, like Boston, Austin, New Orleans, etc.. But FW isn't very walkable, except for parts of it, like Sundance Sq. or Arts District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM

106 posts, read 556,749 times
Yeah...I love Austin, but it's way too expensive (unless you live far out of town and drive everywhere). The same is true for almost any city, unfortunately. The walkable neighborhoods in Atlanta have insane prices, at least by the standards I'm used to here in Knoxville. Boston is great, but I think we'd only be able to afford a tiny condo and, again, have to drive everywhere.

I'm starting to wonder if I ought to consider smaller cities like Athens, Ga or Chattanooga (suggestions in Texas welcome). I'd really prefer to be within decent driving distance of a major international airport, however, which Fort Worth is. I suppose Athens isn't too far from Atlanta. In addition, I'd like a place that is either a) liberal or b) laid back enough that it doesn't matter - again, I've heard that FW is a live-and-let-live kind of place. Knoxville is too in-your-face with religion and right-leaning politics for my taste.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times
Default Try...

Well I live in Lake Worth, and it is growing majorly! Certain neighborhoods are walkable to all the shopping and dining areas plus we are a 5 min. drive from Downtown Fort Worth.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,042,971 times
^ A 5 min. drive to downtown from Lake Worth is an exaggeration. From where Jacksboro Hwy. and Boat Club Rd. intersect (arguably the heart of LW), it's a 7-mi./15 min. drive to Sundance Square. That's not a bad drive at all, but certainly more than 5 min.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 AM

126 posts, read 358,744 times
I would think abouth the Magnolia/Fairmount/Medical district. That area is quickley gentrifying and is a very pedestrian oriented neighborhood, considering it was developed prior to mass suburbanization. It is also adjacent to downtown, but is def. less expensive. I would also consider that area because of resale value, as it has seen a steady increase in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or