U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM

145 posts, read 568,782 times

Advertisements

Having lived in North Arlington/Grand Prairie, I agree with jzimmer 564, far north and far south are better, but there is still crime in these areas as well, so you and have to take safety precautions. We had our house broken into once and things stolen out of our garage several times. Also, there was a mugging of two joggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 PM

458 posts, read 2,512,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu View Post
Having lived in North Arlington/Grand Prairie, I agree with jzimmer 564, far north and far south are better, but there is still crime in these areas as well, so you and have to take safety precautions. We had our house broken into once and things stolen out of our garage several times. Also, there was a mugging of two joggers.
Would you recommend Grand Prarie over Arlington? We didn't see much of it but it looked pretty nice from what we did see.

We mainly want to stay pretty much in or near Arlington, but are willing to stretch it a bit one way or the other. We just want to stay right in-between Dallas and Fort Worth, and not too far north or south just pretty much right there in the middle.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,834,207 times
We've lived in Arlington for 15 years and have school age children who all attend AISD schools. First of all, thank you to the original poster for the nice comments about our city. Yes, there are many pretty areas but, unfortunately, there are bad areas, as well. Arlington is a BIG city (roughly 350,000 residents) so it has similar problems that other cities of similar size have. Is it crime-free? Of course not. And, unlike another poster, I've not been in a grocery store in the wee hours of the morning but I'd venture to guess that wierdos possibly found there could be found in any all-night store anywhere in the Dallas area. That's just my opinion, of course.

Now, regarding good areas vs. less desirable, it's understood among locals that Cooper Street is a dividing line in the city. West of Cooper = Good. East of Cooper = Not so good. And the nicest residential areas are far north (north of I-30 along Green Oaks Blvd.), the west side near Lake Arlington and the southwest side (staddling I-20 west of Cooper St.), including Dalworthington Gardens (a town completely surrounded by Arlington with its own government, police and fire dept.). There are pockets here and there (like the Shady Valley Country Club area), but this is the general rule. Actually, Shady Valley is on the west side of town so it could be lumped into my west side evaluation. The best areas tend to be within the forested areas that run north/south through the west side of the city.

Anything within the Martin High School attendance zone (west, southwest side, Dalworthington Gardens) is desirable - all the elementary schools, the two junior highs and the high school are the best in town both academically and socially. By "socially" I mean fewer problems that are distractions to learning. The flip side, typical of any large, affluent high school, is the peer pressure and the feeling of inadequacy when one doesn't get a Hummer at age 16. Oh well, it'll always be something! LOL!

Central Arlington is old with lots of rentals and aging apartments. The east side, along Highway 360 and along the Grand Prairie border, is pretty rough. The southeast side (along 360, south of I-20) is pretty new but the zillions of houses built in that area were thrown up pretty fast and will fall apart just about as fast. One can already see peeling paint on numerous plywood chimneys. Despite its young age, this part of town has higher than average crime and the schools are already full of problems.

I'd stay away from Grand Prairie for the very reasons I described above about the southeast side.

Last edited by kt2le; 06-23-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
We've lived in Arlington for 15 years and have school age children who all attend AISD schools. First of all, thank you to the original poster for the nice comments about our city. Yes, there are many pretty areas but, unfortunately, there are bad areas, as well. Arlington is a BIG city (roughly 350,000 residents) so it has similar problems that other cities of similar size have. Is it crime-free? Of course not. And, unlike another poster, I've not been in a grocery store in the wee hours of the morning but I'd venture to guess that wierdos possibly found there could be found in any all-night store anywhere in the Dallas area. That's just my opinion, of course.

Now, regarding good areas vs. less desirable, it's understood among locals that Cooper Street is a dividing line in the city. West of Cooper = Good. East of Cooper = Not so good. And the nicest residential areas are far north (north of I-30 along Green Oaks Blvd.), the west side near Lake Arlington and the southwest side (staddling I-20 west of Cooper St.), including Dalworthington Gardens (a town completely surrounded by Arlington with its own government, police and fire dept.). There are pockets here and there (like the Shady Valley Country Club area), but this is the general rule. Actually, Shady Valley is on the west side of town so it could be lumped into my west side evaluation. The best areas tend to be within the forested areas that run north/south through the west side of the city.

Anything within the Martin High School attendance zone (west, southwest side, Dalworthington Gardens) is desirable - all the elementary schools, the two junior highs and the high school are the best in town both academically and socially. By "socially" I mean fewer problems that are distractions to learning. The flip side, typical of any large, affluent high school, is the peer pressure and the feeling of inadequacy when one doesn't get a Hummer at age 16. Oh well, it'll always be something! LOL!

Central Arlington is old with lots of rentals and aging apartments. The east side, along Highway 360 and along the Grand Prairie border, is pretty rough. The southeast side (along 360, south of I-20) is pretty new but the zillions of houses built in that area were thrown up pretty fast and will fall apart just about as fast. One can already see peeling paint on numerous plywood chimneys. Despite its young age, this part of town has higher than average crime and the schools are already full of problems.

I'd stay away from Grand Prairie for the very reasons I described above about the southeast side.
Thanks, very helpful. Arlington is huge especially for what is considered a suburb but from what I saw it looks like the good things about the area far outweigh the bad things.

Thanks, and we can't wait to make it out there!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 33,897 times
I've lived in and around UTA for years and now on the west side. Many others have been dead on. Skip the whole east side column east of Collins to the border of GP. North side has many established neighborhoods quite nice as well as the west side all along the border of Lake Arlington. Skip most of what is south of Arkansas going south towards California west of Cooper. Extreme south Arlington is all new and very much cookie cutterville.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM

What about the area right around the ballpark? Anyone had any bad experiences/heard of any bad things about the area? It seemed like it was a nice area and pretty safe. We walked around the ballpark and in the nice park that's outside the ballpark with the walking trail and lake hours before gametime when there weren't many people around and didn't feel unsafe whatsoever.

We are looking at the Endure Apartments (I think that's the name) which are just north of the ballpark and directly across the street from the new Cowboys Stadium. Very reasonable rent, close to work, within walking distance from both stadiums for games and a 20-30 minute drive to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 15,779 times
I am a life long resident of Arlington, and I am very upset by some of these replies. For someone to say that someone dies every week from drag racing is absolutely ridiculous. There are some lovely parts of Arlington that are not far north or far south. Pantego, Shady Valley, and Woodland West are all in central Arlington. And while there are older homes there, they have been well taken care of and are areas with charm and class. Near UTA, there are some beautiful homes on large lots with mature pecan trees. As a proud graduate of the Arlington ISD, I am confidant in this district's ability to turn out bright and prepared students. There are some areas that aren't so great...but every city can't look like Southlake. For someone relocating here, I would say look in certain school districts within the city. Martin HS, Lamar HS, and Arlington HS all have areas around them that are great. My absolute favorite residential street in town is Southwood, right off Davis. I'd stay away from the east side of town, like between Cooper St and Hwy 360. Sadly, the area around Sam Houston HS is not as nice as it once was.

We are privilidged to have a university in our backyard, and we should embrace the diversity it has brought to our city. Yes, things look and feel very different from just 15 years ago when I was in high school, and we cruised Cooper St after the Friday night football games. This was a fantastic place to grow up, and I feel it's up to me and my generation to stay in Arlington if we expect it to grow and remain a great community.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 15,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
What about the area right around the ballpark? Anyone had any bad experiences/heard of any bad things about the area? It seemed like it was a nice area and pretty safe. We walked around the ballpark and in the nice park that's outside the ballpark with the walking trail and lake hours before gametime when there weren't many people around and didn't feel unsafe whatsoever.

We are looking at the Endure Apartments (I think that's the name) which are just north of the ballpark and directly across the street from the new Cowboys Stadium. Very reasonable rent, close to work, within walking distance from both stadiums for games and a 20-30 minute drive to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth.
It's the Enclave Apartments...I lived there about 8 years ago. They're ok, but I used to be an Apartment Locator and there are probably some better choices you may not be aware of. They were one of our go-to properties when we needed to help people with rental history issues. The traffic getting in and out of there during baseball games is hellish. It will be worse when the stadium is built. I would contact one of the local apartment locating companies in town. They are all free services and can give you an idea of what you can expect to pay in different areas as well as do things like check on specials and availability. If you email me, I can give you some great agents to call.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,352,573 times
I lived in SW Arlington close to Dalworthington Gardens for almost 30 years. I would not live east of Copper be it on the south or north. I certainly would not move to GP. Pantego is a nice area. Davis is a nice street to commute to town on. Older homes with usually older couples. Southwood is a street that has nice homes. Woodland West is nice. Tom Vandergriff lives there on Abrams, between Fielder and Davis. I would stay on the SW side of town for sure.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,834,207 times
The Vandergriff home is on Park Row. That area, with its huge trees, large lots and older, well-maintained homes, is very pretty. I like Southwood, too, which is behind the Vandergriff home. I would consider this west/central Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or