Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,819 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, we've had to move around many times due to financial reasons so my son is paying for that as well. He is now 17, and going to be a senior next school year. He has always had good grades and kept his GPA up. He is already sitting around the whole summer trying to meet people with little luck, but we're afraid we'll just start him in school, get him plugged in, and have to move again. We are looking for some way to get him started in some kind of affordable summer program that he could take asap and graduate as early as possible so he can start making some decisions for himself. Based off of the Texas' minimum requirements for graduation, he only needs 1 credit of english 4, 1/2 credit of U.S. government, 1/2 credit of economics, and 1/2 credit of speech. Im okay with him graduating with the minimum requirements because we're planning to get him into a community college asap. We already missed out on the local schools summer school. Can anyone help us with some kind of summer classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 AM

119 posts, read 215,147 times
Default Dual credit

Since he's a good student, how about dual credit courses at community college? It's a great option that will allow him to finish H.S. and get some transfer credit to a university as well.

Tarrant County College - Early High School / Dual Enrollment (Dual Credit)

Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,819 times
I will definitely look into that. Thankyou so much!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM

119 posts, read 215,147 times
You're welcome! Dual credit is how I finished H.S. (11th and 12th grades) and it allowed me to transfer to college as a sophomore. It was a nice money saver as well as a life saver (I hated H.S. with a passion).

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,697,706 times
there are some Internet based programs that allow people to finish their high school diplomas
not sure which ones but they are out there
http://www.jeffersonhighschoolonline...FVwK2godQXKRxw
that one came up when I Googled for GED info
frankly I know nothing about it--would not trust it's diploma to be valid for entry into college or the military or anything else--and in fact the site's own Accreditation info says that it does not have accreditation by the ones that legitimate schools DO HAVE--so I would give this program a big miss--

but there ARE other programs that are accredited that might work for you

there is also the option of taking the GED test and just getting a certificate vs a diploma
you can get into community college with GED credentials but you might have to take couple of staging tests to determine if student is ready for college level math and English--vs just signing up for the classes if s/he has not taken/passed TAKS exit level--
if you make a high enough score on TAKS exit levels you are exempt from taking those other screening tests...

ps--there is no dual credit for speech
but there is for the other two--
but dual credit classes are offered AT high school--taught by sometimes CC teachers who come in for the classes--and they aren't offered in summer or on-line...

frankly the GED test since you can take it almost any time as some of the testing centers around town sounds like your best option if TIME is more important than getting the actual high school diploma
this is list of local testing sites in FTW area
and you can get back to the main page for GED itself
http://app.xtremelocator.com/visitor...f21282b9c2262b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: