U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times

Advertisements

both blockers can cut winter sun for warming effect and cause you to run the lights more to subsitute for daylight
if you have double pane windows that already are tinted-- will adding tint void the warranty--since that will do on the very inside pane of glass and trap heat inside the double panes?
did you check with the window mfg--not just the builder?

you know you can get white solar screens--not just black--if that would make a difference

just make sure which ever company you use
you check with Better Business Bureau, the city attorney for any lawsuits against them since BBB only covers businesses who are members, references--some of which are at least a year old to check on how film/screens are wearing over time--and go see the work--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
How about tinting the windows and adding solar screens? The sun would have no chance!
Even Better, SolarShield Plywood. Eliminates over 95% of radiant heat and 99.999% of UV rays!

Buy now, and your home can blend in with the rest of the foreclosures in the neighborhood!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Even Better, SolarShield Plywood. Eliminates over 95% of radiant heat and 99.999% of UV rays!

Buy now, and your home can blend in with the rest of the foreclosures in the neighborhood!
... and the plywood would have the added benefit of being more tornado resistant (no flying broken glass).

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM

10 posts, read 33,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No problem. The company that did our windows is called Amersol. They have an office in Dallas but serve the entire DFW metroplex. I've recommended them to many friends and have been very pleased w/ their products and service. They have a website by their name.
My wife and I recently bought a home in Fort Worth, right by Keller. Some neighbors have solar screens, and I think they look just fine. We really need to get one to put over the big textured window in the master bath. There are no blinds over this window, and it gets a lot of sun, so our Master bath and bedroom get MUCH warmer than the rest of the house.

Anybody else have recommendations for companies to install these? Thanks!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 18,914 times
Try using suction held solar screens. Easy on and off!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 AM

29,922 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Window film placed on insulated windows can cause cracking. I suspect due to heat buildup. I would do solar screens.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Window film placed on insulated windows can cause cracking. I suspect due to heat buildup. I would do solar screens.
We have not had a single window crack and all of ours are tinted. House is 10 years old as well.

FYI, the thread is over a year old. There seems to be a huge RASH of "newbie's" that have been hitting up the Dallas, Ft Worth and Texas forums and digging up really old threads.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,672 times
Window film does void the warranty on your windows but 3M covers the warranty if you have one in place. You have to be the original owner of your home in most cases to have a window warranty. Furthermore, dollar for dollar window film is the number one thing you can do to save on energy and it makes your home more comfortable. As for window film making windows crack it is rare and occurs because there is a defect in the window already.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,672 times
The reason window film works better than screens is window film does a much better job on cutting infrared light the 53% cause of heat, solar screens work on cutting visible light the 44% cause of heat.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,716 times
Default replacement windows are the best answer

the best solutions to all of these problems are replacement windows. replacement windows will reduce the heat entering your home, reduce noise, reduce dust and the new vinyl frames are highly efficient and will not conduct heat into and out of your home like metal frames. new windows will hold the heat in your home in the winter and keep the heat out in the summer (heat reflective glass)

solar screens and tint are both inexpensive solutions to help reduce solar heat gain ,but they do nothing for your home in the winter and they will reduce the natural daylighting in your home which will require you to have the lights on more often, which will ultimately offset any energy savings they might bring. not to mention you'll still have your old metal inefficient frames, drafty windows, usually inoperable sashes and a new maintenance problem. to clean your windows when you have solar screens you must remove them which is a chore and not to mention, they will reduce your homes curb appeal....most people dislike the look so you will effectively reduce your property value. point is: in the long run, you aren't really saving money, you are losing with solar screens and tint.....and you will ultimately end up replacing your windows anyhow!

anyhow, these are all points i considered when shopping. i chose to just replace the window. there is a company in town that is the america's largest window replacement company in the country that has the best value, Window World...they will guarantee you the lowest price in writing.... check them out at http://www.windowworldDFW.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth