U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 PM

103 posts, read 623,417 times

Advertisements

We are moving into a new home SOON!! Since we are moving into a newly-constructed neighborhood...we don't have mature trees in our new yard like we currently have. Needless to say...the mature trees we have now shade our house and help the electric bills stay low.

With this said, our newer home's one side faces the west!...which means A LOT of sun is going to be coming into those windows! We don't really like the looks of the solar screens because it takes away the gorgeous windows (and we are on a corner lot...so, it will be seen by many!) So, we are thinking about getting the windows tinted.

Has anybody had success with tinted windows vs. solar screens? What are the pros and cons of each if you have any?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:09 AM

91 posts, read 368,191 times
We have solar screens. They cut the heat from the outside. Yes, they aren't the prettiest to look at from the outside, but from the inside looking out, it is fine.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,042,971 times
I've read really good things about solar screens. Luckily for me, most my windows face south and north, so I don't get direct sunlight. Have you gotten price quotes for both options? Good luck.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I've read really good things about solar screens. Luckily for me, most my windows face south and north, so I don't get direct sunlight. Have you gotten price quotes for both options? Good luck.

We haven't gotten quotes yet...but, we'll probably do it ourselves. Our new neighbors across the street made their own screens and said it was very easy...so, we may do this ourselves to save some $$. We also would order the tint from the Internet and do it ourselves to save some $$. There are A LOT of places that have the tint for sale.

I would really like to do the tint...but, I don't know if they are as good as the solar screens. KWIM?

Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
if you have double glazed windows and use the tint film you will trap the heated air in the space between windows--think that might cause problems with condensate...
saw on one of the HGTV shows where they were remodeling a housenot a cheap redo either). They used a white frosted tint/sun screen film on front glass door of house--cut the house number into the film like an address plaque--looked stylish to me--the guy said that it was very energy effective...but door was a single pane of glass it think..not double...

you can get a white solar screen materil not just the black---the idea is to stop sun before it gets into house...

Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if you have double glazed windows and use the tint film you will trap the heated air in the space between windows--think that might cause problems with condensate...
saw on one of the HGTV shows where they were remodeling a housenot a cheap redo either). They used a white frosted tint/sun screen film on front glass door of house--cut the house number into the film like an address plaque--looked stylish to me--the guy said that it was very energy effective...but door was a single pane of glass it think..not double...

you can get a white solar screen materil not just the black---the idea is to stop sun before it gets into house...
I can't remember if our new windows are double-paned or not. I am thinking they are not (on the top anyway)...because one of the windows had broken glass on top, and it went all the way through. We are stopping by our new house today; I will have to check out the windows more closely (of course, my dh probably knows...but, he is sound asleep right now).

I have seen the lighter screens as well...but, the windows are so beautiful, I just don't want to cover them up with anything that takes away their integrity. But, if the tinting idea doesn't pan out...I will have to live with solar screens...at least until we get some mature trees (or crepe myrtles) growing on the side of the house to shade the windows.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 AM

49 posts, read 228,702 times
That is interesting about the double pane windows. Aren't most new windows double pane? I also a bunch of beautiful windows in the house we are buying and would much rather tint them, as I wasn't very impressed with the solar screens. And to my horror- there isn't a single tree at our new house! I thought all new construction was given a 'token' new tree! Guess I was wrong about that.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiana9 View Post
That is interesting about the double pane windows. Aren't most new windows double pane? I also a bunch of beautiful windows in the house we are buying and would much rather tint them, as I wasn't very impressed with the solar screens. And to my horror- there isn't a single tree at our new house! I thought all new construction was given a 'token' new tree! Guess I was wrong about that.
With our builder we did get one "token" tree; a Bald Cypress. However, we are on a corner lot...so, I want to put some trees on the side of the house as well (it is just sodded...no other landscaping was included). Or at least something to shade the area, especially since it is facing west. Our current home's front faces west...and it gets pretty hot. However, we have two very mature trees in the front yard that shade the front (they are 22 years old...as old as our current home). Our neighbors down the street, on the other hand...cut down their trees and you touch their door knob and you practically burn your hand!

I found out from my husband that our windows are double-paned. So...hmmmm....I think I will have to check with some experts on window tinting.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,042,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcgal View Post
We haven't gotten quotes yet...but, we'll probably do it ourselves. Our new neighbors across the street made their own screens and said it was very easy...so, we may do this ourselves to save some $$. We also would order the tint from the Internet and do it ourselves to save some $$. There are A LOT of places that have the tint for sale.

I would really like to do the tint...but, I don't know if they are as good as the solar screens. KWIM?
If it is easy to make your own screen, that would be a good way to save quite a bit of money. I'll see how this summer season goes before I think about getting tint or solar screens before next summer. Since my windows face south (front) and north (rear), direct sunlight hasn't beena problem. Only my bathroom frosted window and my office bedroom window face west. But I have a side yard neighbor whose house is like 10' away from my windows, so that house blocks out most of the direct sunlight.

You mentioned the "token" tree. Is it that a TX state law that all new houses have to come with a tree? I noticed *every* house in my dev. has a tree in the front yard. Except mine! My house came w/ a tree in the backyard. So to "fit in", I ordered a tree from a tree nursery and had it planted in my front yard a couple months ago. Its leaves have finally bloomed and I'm sure over the next few years, as it matures, it'll give my front yard some good shade.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 39,914 times
Hi artcgal and all;

Some things to consider about window tinting are that it is much more tricky to properly apply window film than it is to make your own solar screens. If you are going to have fil installation done, find installers that are trained and well experienced in film application.

Also, you need to check your window warranty because many manufacturers will void your warranty if window film is applied.

With solar screens one thing to watch out for is white coloured material. In a strong sun this material will deteriorate faster than the black fiberglass material. I know they say its supposed to be UV resistant back my experience is any white plastic materials will fall to pieces after years in strong sunlight.

Best Regards

Adrian Dunevein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth