U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
5stone--why would you think a school district or town would WANT to advertise that their students use drugs--that is totally negative press that smears any positive programs going on...
maybe i wasn't clear... I know that they don't wnat to advertise etc... but turing a blind eye (as our last district did) until several students OD isn't going to solve anything. When the kids all know what bathroom the drug deals are going on in but the administration refuses to curtail it by "getting tough" etc... The parents complain that thier kids rights are violated and the school can't search lockers or cars in the parking lot etc... When a 13 year old gets caught dealing and "flushes away" the evidence and basically get no repremand because they parents are lawyers and threaten to sue the school district etc... YES I AGREE with you it's the parents fault 90% of the time But also the school should stand up to the parents and not let them dictate the rules etc... (the kids from the less affluent families get dentention and suspension etc...)

It's not just in DFW it's everywhere and that was my biggest problem with our old district..EDUCATION wise it was top notch! But the school board and admistrators were often bullied by parents. one example...the police wanted to do a random drug search with the dogs of lockers, back packs, and cars...
The outrage cried by the parents that they were abusing power and infringing on the kids rights was appalling. So when they finally agreed to the search...the adminstration let the parents know when it was going to be...they told the kids. Well guess what the "random" drug search (of lockers only cause that's school property) found NOTHING! not even one joint. tell me what HS in America doesn't have a joint in locker!

Anyway I digress....The nice thing about the DFW area is that the majortiy of the schools districts are fantastic and that a good probelm to have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM

27,438 posts, read 44,934,740 times
5stone--yes--as a teacher I totally agree that districts and administrators are often afraid to cross parents--their lawyers have made them lawsuit-shy--and they prefer to dispense touchy-feely bon mots instead of dealing with real issues--there are teachers and principals who don't like to enforce the rules because of having to justify what they did to parents who don't have a clue and students who push the limits...it is very difficult to refuse admission to a student zoned for district/school who is persistant trouble maker and whom admin knows might be problem student but who is smart enough not to get caught with one of the no-tolerance items...

that was my point about parents being ostriches about what is going on and refusing to be a parent instead of a pal to their kids...but by the time kid gets to be high-school age it is pretty much all over--that kid's personality is formerd...for better or worse...

the media can also rewrite information to heighten "readability" and just sensationalize events...

but at times the hard policies of no tolerance that they can/do enforce when students' cars are found with beer bottles or joint ends or their lockers or possessions often rebound -- those policies can be used to target students who have enemies who want to get them in trouble...I know of a couple of instances where students who really were innocent of any personal wrong-doing fell afoul of the law's letter and were punished...

one was set-up by ex-boyfirend of girl he dated and other shared a car with college-age brother...both times incriminating evident was found in car after being reported "anonymously"...

in HEB--there are random drug searches with dogs (at least there were when I taught) did not happen often but no one --even principals-- usually knew when they were going to happen--
but then again--there were some restrooms that were just bad places to be for a vairety of reasons not just drugs and they never seemed to have the DARE cop there at the right time...

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 144,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
don't you think UT knows that most won't succeed when it has student with a B average in top 10%--although I think that anyone graduating valedictorian from Wilmer Hutchins would have more than a B avg--...

I can understand your skepticism, but in May, 2005, the Dallas Morning News published their yearly article introducing the valedictorians and salutatorians of all of the local school districts, and also publishing their final QPA and their plans for post-secondary education. The young woman from Wilmer-Hutchins did, indeed, have a 3.xxx QPA. This was notable (and memorable) for us because her QPA was lower than my son's (graduating from CHHS that year) and his rank was not in the top half of his graduating class, despite excellent grades and a few academic awards. I cannot rule out the possibility that the DMN made a mistake and printed the wrong QPA... And, of course, different school districts use different scales for figuring a QPA.

Even within the G/CISD, three different scales are used to determine GPA, which in turn determines rank. A student earning a 100 in a regular class will receive a 5.0 GPA. If that class is a Pre-AP class, the 100 earns a 6.0. AP class earns 6.25. So if a student signs up for ANY class that doesn't have a pre-AP or AP version, it could be academic suicide in vying for that coveted Top 10%. Two students, both maintaining straight A's -- one takes a course for interest instead of academics (athletics, journalism, band, etc.) which won't carry the extra weight of Pre-AP/AP, and they're out of the running.

The G/CISD doesn't update rank/GPA on every report card; it's done separately at semester's end.

My point all along has been that, while some of the "great" school districts are quite good, TAKS scores and percentages of low-income students don't tell the whole story. I also worked for the HEB school district, by the way.

Despite how it may sound, I do try to stay positive about G/CISD, but it would be fair to say that my husband and I are not thrilled with some of the (bone-headed) decisions the district has made, like doing away with "D's" on report cards (because they bring down GPA's too much), installing astroturf on football fields (used mostly by male athletes) while contemplating eliminating the gymnastics program (mostly female athletes) and ignoring the tennis programs (one of the few coed sports). Do I sound like the 70's feminist that I once was?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 PM

RE the "B" GPA--that must have been a misprint even if you read it in the paper--I would think there would be just as many fake "As" at Wilmer Hutchins as at any other hs

as a teacher and parent of G/T students I know that honors classes receive more bang for the buck which is one reason it is so difficult to get kids to sign up for any classes that are not honor-based...they lose the extra nudge...PE and Band are really killers for students who are athletes and musicians as well as honors students...

so if you are former HEB personnel-- about the bone-head decison HEB (and possible other districts) made to give only a 50 as the lowest avg in a class--even if the student has done work that earned a 17 or 33 or basically 0 work---admin did not want to "humiliate" students by showing such low averages...the fact that awarding even a 50 to some students was grossly overpaying effort and that it also ignores HEB's own policy regarding how to grade missing or incomplete work or work due after an unexcused absense just made the policy more of a bitter pill to swallow...

Saw in the FTW paper article last week showing the % of students taking AP tests (out of juniors and seniors) and % passing--getting a 3 or 4 I guess...
HEB had bad score--not because only 35% of students took the tests--that is really pretty good considering the change in district to lower-socio-economic/ESL student body---but the passing rate was really bad--fewer than 40% of kids who took test passed....that shows lack of teaching and standards for maintaining program...

I know in the English program there are some people who really don't have high standards for AP--pre-AP credentials/quality of work...easy grades for weak work...pigeons are coming home to roost---older teachers retired and they have hired people or moved them from jr high who just wont spend the time it takes to do the work---they also overload the classes...focus has been on IB program to certain extent and those classes AP and IB were mixed in English which did not help either section...

Old 08-04-2007, 10:56 PM

47 posts, read 184,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subslug View Post
As much as I love the Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine areas I don't envy anyone who has to commute from there to Dallas and back everyday.
I suppose it depends on what part of Dallas you have to commute to as well, if you are able to jump on the 161 tollway then life might not be so bad but via 635 everyday would make me think twice about my living arrangement.
Spending hours a week sitting in traffic isn't my idea of the good life.

If I was in your situation I might learn whether I was going to work in Dallas or Fort Worth first and then choose where to settle.

Having said all of this though, I live in Fort Worth and drive to Dallas and Plano both, except I do it at night, when it's much less congested.
As a Southlake resident, I can tell you that morning/evening commutes are a nightmare. 114 is a nightmare, at best, with no signs of improvement for several years. You will hear people talk about the "Grapevine tunnel," which is where several main highways "dump" into each other....in a not very orderly fashion. My advice is to first find where your employer is located and then plan where to live. Forty minutes to one-hour commutes from Southlake are not uncommon.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,688,351 times
I've got to give the edge to Southlake if you plan on staying long term. It's gaining critical mass much like Highland Park in Dallas did years ago.

It has a smaller, more managable school district. All top rated campuses.

A growing/thriving town center across from a new Central Market grocery. (Lord I get the creeps when I drive through Colleyville's "town center/ghost town". It wreaks of bankruptcy)

One development has 136 new million dollar homes going in next year. (There are only 800 million dollar plus homes in all of Tarrant county)

Last edited by padcrasher; 08-05-2007 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-06-2007, 05:50 AM

right now there are almost 100 homes in the 900-million or over category--my realtor told me at the end of July that there were only 3 1-million+ homes that had contracts on them--it is a buyer's market in that price zone--that is a lot of excess inventory---builders have to build up in price and sq ft to justify the cost of the land/lots they are putting the houses on--price of land is just obseen...

yes--I do think Southlake will be a desireable area for the foreseeable future BUT the number of people who can afford a million+ home is a finite number--builders can't focus entirely on that end of the market and not come up against a wall at some point--the economy has started to slow even here and if builders arent careful they are going to build themselves into a corner...Colleyville is starting to see the same thing with homes that are in the high end--over 700+--people are buying land and building custom homes but several developments either have not built out after being several years old or homes are sitting on market w/o buyers...again the low-middle priced homes for young families are the ones that move the quickest...

Southlake city council just approved subdivision plan for a townhome/villa development at the SE section of the city limits--was rezoned from commercial--the homeowners in the area were in favor of it even though homes will be on decidedly smaller individual lots but they will be homes and not storage facility or warehouse-type of work yard so they see improvement over what is there now...
homes will start at 500+ I am sure for something that is under .2 acre and about 2500 sq ft--maybe a little more--not cheap by any means..
Land in southlake is just so very expensive that even commercial development will start to feel the pinch...
the hottest part of the Southlake market--the one that moves the quickest--is the segment under 525--especially under 400--fewer homes and sometimes not always in the Carroll ISD--but it is a very desireable address...as long as the schools continue to have the exemplary ratings and a great football team it will be THE ISD in Tarrant County...

Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM

13,180 posts, read 12,688,351 times
That's a good take on the SL market. Here's what we did. We found a 3200 sq ft home built in the mid-80s on 1.1 acre land. (We avoided sub-divisions/tracts).
The street is sprinkled with 300K homes and 1 mil to 2.4 mil homes. It was foreclosed on and was being sold by the bank. We setteled at 310K. I spent 12K painting the brick (the architecture of home was not as dated as some other 80's built ranch homes) and putting in all new landscaping. I'm telling you the house would go for 420K now. It was money in the bank.

Last edited by padcrasher; 08-06-2007 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM

padcrasher--I have tried to get my husband to see the wisdom of spending some money on older home like that with about an acre--but all too often sellers that aren't in foreclosure want to price listing like it has been redone when it hasn't --or they do something really cheap looking like adding laminate flooring and expecting buyers to think it is nail-down hardwood...so they add in cost of their lame redos and expect you to pay to buy something you want to turn right around and tear out...

Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 18,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
right now there are almost 100 homes in the 900-million or over category--my realtor told me at the end of July that there were only 3 1-million+ homes that had contracts on them--it is a buyer's market in that price zone--that is a lot of excess inventory---builders have to build up in price and sq ft to justify the cost of the land/lots they are putting the houses on--price of land is just obseen...

yes--I do think Southlake will be a desireable area for the foreseeable future BUT the number of people who can afford a million+ home is a finite number--builders can't focus entirely on that end of the market and not come up against a wall at some point--the economy has started to slow even here and if builders arent careful they are going to build themselves into a corner...Colleyville is starting to see the same thing with homes that are in the high end--over 700+--people are buying land and building custom homes but several developments either have not built out after being several years old or homes are sitting on market w/o buyers...again the low-middle priced homes for young families are the ones that move the quickest...

Southlake city council just approved subdivision plan for a townhome/villa development at the SE section of the city limits--was rezoned from commercial--the homeowners in the area were in favor of it even though homes will be on decidedly smaller individual lots but they will be homes and not storage facility or warehouse-type of work yard so they see improvement over what is there now...
homes will start at 500+ I am sure for something that is under .2 acre and about 2500 sq ft--maybe a little more--not cheap by any means..
Land in southlake is just so very expensive that even commercial development will start to feel the pinch...
the hottest part of the Southlake market--the one that moves the quickest--is the segment under 525--especially under 400--fewer homes and sometimes not always in the Carroll ISD--but it is a very desireable address...as long as the schools continue to have the exemplary ratings and a great football team it will be THE ISD in Tarrant County...
15 homes on a 5 acre lot. 1/3 acre lots are found in other parts of SL and as you said, they are not warehouses. 500+ is what I understand too.

I came for the schools, not the football. Colleyville is nice too. Most of the people in SL and CV are down to earth, educated, and well-mannered. In fact, the only person from CV that I don't care for, I've never met. Ironically, she writes a column in the SL paper and constantly rags on SL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or