U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 AM

184 posts, read 785,807 times

Advertisements

To the OP, here's my 2 cents.
First of all, let me say that I have lived in California, Texas and other places including overseas before moving here to the Fort Worth area earlier this year when my husband retired from the military. I am from Florida and my heart will always be there. Every place has it's good things and it's not so good things and it's bad things. That's the way it is everywhere. Also, a great attitude makes a difference. However, if your heart isn't in a move, you will not really be happy. You may adjust to the differences but you probably won't ever fall in love with it. Of course there are exceptions to that but i'm speaking in general terms. Change is inevitable and it helps to have an adventerous spirit. This area is flat, the trees are small and it's hot & dry. There are lakes but no "Oceans" close by. There is a thing I call the Texas ego. Texans are mighty proud of their _______ (fill in the blank) . It's a different attitude than anywhere else I've ever lived.
It's a great place to raise a family, raise horses or raise Hell. It just depends on you.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 AM

184 posts, read 785,807 times
Ukaussi, I also live in the Heritage Master Planned Community and you are right, It is a wonderful community!
The waterpark/pools complex is an impressive and wonderful amenity and we residents love that we have such a group of pools to enjoy. Kids love the big bucket at the Splash pool and the athletic types/Heritage swim team love the big lap pool. The adults especially like the waterfall pool and kids love the water slides. Our new Clubhouse just opened and it is beautiful! Next to the pools we have a wonderful playground with great equipment. Tennis Courts and Basketball courts are there as well. Lots of beautiful trails to bike ride/walk and green belts throughout. I could go on and on there is so much here. Wonderful neighbors, lots of clubs and committees you can join, etc. Heritage is beautiful and has great personality. Of course, keep in mind we are still a growing community. It's not for everyone and thank goodness it's not. We have about 2,000 families here now and still growing! I just noticed the "Sold" sign on the house next door today.
This whole area North of downtown Fort Worth is growing by leaps and bounds and it's very exciting.
Alliance Town Center is being built as we speak and many great resturants and retail shops are coming in the near future to add to what has already opened. In addition a Hospital is coming and a medical complex. Cabellas is just a few short minutes north of Heritage Trace Parkway on 35W and beyond that Texas Motor Speedway. In addition, a fantastic indoor Ski resort is going to be built in this area.
Heritage is in the 'sweet spot' and I think you'll love it here.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 16,279 times
I would have to ask what is it about OC you are looking for. I lived in Hermosa Beach years ago, and still miss the ocean side. But being a native here It was an easy transition back. If you are looking for water front and want a golf course community, there is a really nice up and coming neighborhood at Eagle Mountain Lake - It's called the Resort at Eagle Mountain - You can google it and they might still have a website. They have a golf course, and have homes and garden homes and will eventually ad a marine etc - It's in the early stages of building, but it is a gated community. It's a little out away from Fort Worth being on the north side of the lake but its pretty and the community sits on what we call in Texas, Hill. And has a great view of the lake. Also there are other lake properties. If you are looking for culture and a night life - then definately downtown Fort Worth. It has been listed as one of the top 10 cities to live in downtown. (great place) - or you can move over to West side Fort Worth were the cultural center is. With the Kimbell, Science and History, Carter museums are located. Nice area of older (20's to 40's homes built) Kind of reminds me of the beach city of Manhattan Beach. The weather is different. Summer starts out humid with all the rain we have in June but dries up by mid July to August and feels a lot more comfortable then. Also the nights are warmer than in LA Area which makes night swimming wonderfull. HOpe you will like the change - it's definately different, but the people here are great.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 PM

7 posts, read 22,422 times
Noticed Ladera Ranch in the message.... we live just down the street in RSM.
We're moving to the Dallas/FW area
A. to be closer to our grown kids and grandkids and
B. we have horses and can buy the property of our dreams in Texas. We couldn't touch anything similar to what we've been looking at in CA for less than $1-2+ million.

Both daughters that moved to Texas (one 6 years ago - the other, with the grandkids moved 2 years ago) LOVE it! And they were raised in the San Fernando Valley their entire lives. So we've figured if they can handle the weather differences ...... so can we.

I found all the comments really interesting though. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. We don't WANT to duplicate the California experience. We're looking forward to something new and different. Can't Wait!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,689 times
Default Southlake

I will have to say Southlake all the way,I have been here 2 yrs from SoCal,and dont miss it a bit

Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 AM

884 posts, read 920,507 times
I really think that for the low costs of living in Fort Worth, TX it is worth it....I would not choose Fort Worth over California any day if it weren't for the low rent, low prices of homes, low cost of gas, and the salaries on most jobs pay almost the same as in Southern California. I moved here about 4 years ago from San Diego...and I really miss it alot. I recently went to visit Southern California about two weeks ago and I began to wonder why I ever left there. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fort Worth lakes, the fishing, the slower pace of life...but my biggest adjustment was to the drivers. The car accident rate here is very high for a city that does not even have a million people in it.

I must admit I enjoy the occasional ice days...light snow about twice a year and the very subtropically hot summers are great! I believe that I'm disappointed in the restaurants and entertainment here. You may miss the beaches after being here for some time! If you can take vacations to California at least 4 times a year, you might be okay.

If you have children, there are good schools here for the kids...but be very choosy in the communities they grow up in. California has more diversity in cultures, food, lifestyles, and people which could be another thing you may start to miss after a year.

Good luck in your choice and I hope this helps!

Liz

Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Smile Former Southern Californian

Hello!
I moved to the DFW area 2 years ago from Palm Desert, CA. I grew up in Palm Desert and had never lived anywhere else, so at age 50 I was ready for a new adventure.

I bought a beautiful home in Hurst and have had lots of fun fixing it up and meeting new friends. I found a great job in downtown Fort Worth and I think of Texas as "home" now.

The first year was rough; Texans ARE different from the people I knew in California. But overall I've found them to be much more genuine and kind.

Like another poster, I've been enjoying the different weather, including the little bit of snow and ice we saw over this past winter.

The freeways are funny to me - the way they're set up - and I still don't ever know what direction I'm travelling. Thank God for my GPS! I really like the whole "western" thing they've got going on here -- and I also enjoy the culture of the museums and theater.

The people at work were a little leery of me as a Californian when I first got here (Are you a Fruit or a Nut?), but once they accepted me, they've been great.

I love Texas!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 22,422 times
Default Thank You!

I LOVE all the positive feedback! Especially since we CLOSE ON OUR NEW HOUSE on November 26th.

We bought a great little horse property in Argyle (Country home with barn & acreage for Horses in Argyle, Texas, Argyle ISD) and we can't WAIT to get there with our fur family and start our lives in Texas.

The daughters have been there 6 and 3 years - born and bred 'Vallee Gurls' and both of them just love it there. The oldest is in Frisco and the youngest (33) is in Richardson. Both work in Dallas. I figure if they can adapt...so can I.

Susie - I'm a little older than you are and have lived in SoCal all my life. Your message made my heart smile :-) It's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank You! Wish we could meet you after we're settled. I love your positive attitude.

Thanks to ALL of you for your positive feedback. Life's all about Attitude and
I can't wait to get to Texas!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,807,288 times
Best wishes on your move, alphamare! Hope it's a smooth transition for y'all!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,822,115 times
I just spent the last month in DFW work reasons. It was my first time back since 1990. I was shocked by the massive growth - 6 million in the area now. And I could tell by the landscaping (lots of palms and sculpted trees) that the DFW metroplex has had a large influx of folks from the west coast. I find this a little puzzling. Is it all about housing prices - North Texas affordable, the West Coast not affordable..?? North Texas has no mountains or beaches and humid summers with lots of insects. I would think for most West Coast folks - this would be a difficult adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or