U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 PM
 
4,610 posts, read 10,035,725 times
Reputation: 6759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
North Texas has no mountains or beaches and humid summers with lots of insects. I would think for most West Coast folks - this would be a difficult adjustment.
It is! That is why I'm planning on moving back to California. I can't adjust to it nor do I want to because I don't like it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,931,397 times
Reputation: 5539
I've been to California, and it is a beautiful state (I especially like San Diego with its FANTASTIC weather), but the high cost of living there would prohibit me from living there. Maybe if I were single, it would be something to consider. But, I have to say after living in the Fort Worth area for 18 years, it's a great place. The people are good, down to earth, and it's just a good place to raise a family, even if there are 6.5 million people in the metroplex (I prefer country). Good luck to you, and welcome to Texas if you are already here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,049,155 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQQRN View Post
Hello!
I moved to the DFW area 2 years ago from Palm Desert, CA. I grew up in Palm Desert and had never lived anywhere else, so at age 50 I was ready for a new adventure.

I bought a beautiful home in Hurst and have had lots of fun fixing it up and meeting new friends. I found a great job in downtown Fort Worth and I think of Texas as "home" now.

The first year was rough; Texans ARE different from the people I knew in California. But overall I've found them to be much more genuine and kind.

Like another poster, I've been enjoying the different weather, including the little bit of snow and ice we saw over this past winter.

The freeways are funny to me - the way they're set up - and I still don't ever know what direction I'm travelling. Thank God for my GPS! I really like the whole "western" thing they've got going on here -- and I also enjoy the culture of the museums and theater.

The people at work were a little leery of me as a Californian when I first got here (Are you a Fruit or a Nut?), but once they accepted me, they've been great.

I love Texas!
We just moved to Keller 3 weeks ago from Woodbridge in Irvine CA. Woodbridge is a wonderful planned community with lakes, swimming lagoon, tennis courts, pools, basketball courts, etc..

We love Keller. We bought a 3300 sq. ft. home with a huge master suite, a media/theater room, large cul-de-sac lot. I know the property taxes are high and so are the ultilities but when you can pay cash for a house those expenses are not such a big deal.

It will take some getting use to the weather but we were looking for a less stressful lifstyle and wanting to have some financial security. We got both! Keller is a great mix of the rural and the big city conviences. We have Verizon TV, internet, and telephone for a fraction of what we would pay in CA. We have great schools, neighbors. The shopping in Southlake is easily as good as any shopping in CA.

Our daughter went to college at TCU and married a Texas native. They are both teachers and would never be able to live the lifestyle they are in CA. I know Texas is not for everyone but if you want extremely friendly people, great housing, schools, and still want to be away from the city Keller is a great choice in my opinion. I have one word of advise though. If you lean towards the liberal left Texas may not be the right place for you. One reason we decided on Texas is because we wanted a more conservative environment that where we lived. We can now talk about our values and not feel uneasy. CA has become very liberal and being somewhat conservative we were fast becoming the minority.

We are happy with our move but we really did our homework. We have been planning the since September 06 and made sure we covered every concern. When we weight all the positives and the few negatives it was a no-brainer to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,692 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
We just moved to Keller 3 weeks ago from Woodbridge in Irvine CA. Woodbridge is a wonderful planned community with lakes, swimming lagoon, tennis courts, pools, basketball courts, etc..

We love Keller. We bought a 3300 sq. ft. home with a huge master suite, a media/theater room, large cul-de-sac lot. I know the property taxes are high and so are the ultilities but when you can pay cash for a house those expenses are not such a big deal.

It will take some getting use to the weather but we were looking for a less stressful lifstyle and wanting to have some financial security. We got both! Keller is a great mix of the rural and the big city conviences. We have Verizon TV, internet, and telephone for a fraction of what we would pay in CA. We have great schools, neighbors. The shopping in Southlake is easily as good as any shopping in CA.

Our daughter went to college at TCU and married a Texas native. They are both teachers and would never be able to live the lifestyle they are in CA. I know Texas is not for everyone but if you want extremely friendly people, great housing, schools, and still want to be away from the city Keller is a great choice in my opinion. I have one word of advise though. If you lean towards the liberal left Texas may not be the right place for you. One reason we decided on Texas is because we wanted a more conservative environment that where we lived. We can now talk about our values and not feel uneasy. CA has become very liberal and being somewhat conservative we were fast becoming the minority.

We are happy with our move but we really did our homework. We have been planning the since September 06 and made sure we covered every concern. When we weight all the positives and the few negatives it was a no-brainer to make the move.
I did the same thing from Chino Hills to Southlake,2.5 yrs now and love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 07:18 PM
 
739 posts, read 2,696,119 times
Reputation: 308
My brother and I and both our wives are making the move from San Diego (me) and central valley (him) in July/August of next year. We are both native Texans who have been in Cali for too long now While I do love San Diego, I just cannot afford to buy out here. Thankfully I have 2 internet businesses (one startup just recently funded) which gives me the luxury of working where ever there is an internet connection. Being able to live nicely off my income and put all of hers to saving/traveling, makes great sense to us. We are pretty stoked about coming back to Texas. We left in 2nd grade and now we are 25 and 23 and want a life change. We miss the hospitality and friendlessness we have fond memories of when living in Texas. My fiancee and I made a trip out to the dfw area for a week with a 2 day trip to Houston last May. I loved it and surprisingly she did too. Shes from Dana Point which is a quintessential beach town in Orange County. Anyways, we just love the atmosphere, cost of housing, and a lot more about Texas. Cant wait to come home!

On a side note, we were very unimpressed with Houston. It was like the Los Angeles of Texas. However, I did find Kingwood to be one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. My future wife didn't think it would be a great place to live our 20's and 30's in, but maybe a great place to live when we retire. We did love the Fort Worth areas, especially Arlington, side of the metroplex. Man, I am just so excited about coming home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
60 posts, read 218,363 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
We just moved to Keller 3 weeks ago from Woodbridge in Irvine CA. Woodbridge is a wonderful planned community with lakes, swimming lagoon, tennis courts, pools, basketball courts, etc..

We love Keller. We bought a 3300 sq. ft. home with a huge master suite, a media/theater room, large cul-de-sac lot. I know the property taxes are high and so are the ultilities but when you can pay cash for a house those expenses are not such a big deal.

It will take some getting use to the weather but we were looking for a less stressful lifstyle and wanting to have some financial security. We got both! Keller is a great mix of the rural and the big city conviences. We have Verizon TV, internet, and telephone for a fraction of what we would pay in CA. We have great schools, neighbors. The shopping in Southlake is easily as good as any shopping in CA.

Our daughter went to college at TCU and married a Texas native. They are both teachers and would never be able to live the lifestyle they are in CA. I know Texas is not for everyone but if you want extremely friendly people, great housing, schools, and still want to be away from the city Keller is a great choice in my opinion. I have one word of advise though. If you lean towards the liberal left Texas may not be the right place for you. One reason we decided on Texas is because we wanted a more conservative environment that where we lived. We can now talk about our values and not feel uneasy. CA has become very liberal and being somewhat conservative we were fast becoming the minority.

We are happy with our move but we really did our homework. We have been planning the since September 06 and made sure we covered every concern. When we weight all the positives and the few negatives it was a no-brainer to make the move.
House finally sold here in Ladera Ranch, CA (just next to Irvine) which is a relief. Been on the market since May and dropped price 15% !!! Even though house was 3300 sqft we only had a small backyard. If we had a bigger one we would have sold it in May for an extra $150,000 or so. We still made money over what we bought it for 3 years ago so even though we won't have that extra money for security we feel it is the right decision.

Mother-in-law moved from here to there also a few months ago so kids eager to see her again.

Moving to Keller also, house finished in January in "The Bluffs"

See ya soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,915 times
Reputation: 10
Default west coast folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I just spent the last month in DFW work reasons. It was my first time back since 1990. I was shocked by the massive growth - 6 million in the area now. And I could tell by the landscaping (lots of palms and sculpted trees) that the DFW metroplex has had a large influx of folks from the west coast. I find this a little puzzling. Is it all about housing prices - North Texas affordable, the West Coast not affordable..?? North Texas has no mountains or beaches and humid summers with lots of insects. I would think for most West Coast folks - this would be a difficult adjustment.
Yes.... it is a difficult adjustment. Difficult to leave home, then experience the country hospitality here which is desperately needed out west. Actually the cost of homes here is lower...but rate of pay, i've realized equals California cost(s) of living. The price of gas is lower, cost of utilities equal...depending on locale...yet Texas i've found is like apple pie.....beautiful seasons!!! Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall.... You don't find that in Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,049,155 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi View Post
House finally sold here in Ladera Ranch, CA (just next to Irvine) which is a relief. Been on the market since May and dropped price 15% !!! Even though house was 3300 sqft we only had a small backyard. If we had a bigger one we would have sold it in May for an extra $150,000 or so. We still made money over what we bought it for 3 years ago so even though we won't have that extra money for security we feel it is the right decision.

Mother-in-law moved from here to there also a few months ago so kids eager to see her again.

Moving to Keller also, house finished in January in "The Bluffs"

See ya soon
You will need to adapt to the weather but you will love the area. We took a drive out to some of the surrounding areas, it is really beautiful out here. We can't wait for spring to come. The Bluffs is a great area also. We live in Crawford Farms. We moved right into the house straight from CA, nice size lot, down the street from the community pool. We really luck out because this is the house we looked at in July 07 but was sold and then the buyers were unable to finance. We have to make a few changes from previous owner's choices but save on 6 months rent while waiting for the house to be built. All in all we are ecstatic about our move. If you have any questions or want any feedback from an ex-Irvinite feel free to ask. Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,049,155 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcindy View Post
Yes.... it is a difficult adjustment. Difficult to leave home, then experience the country hospitality here which is desperately needed out west. Actually the cost of homes here is lower...but rate of pay, i've realized equals California cost(s) of living. The price of gas is lower, cost of utilities equal...depending on locale...yet Texas i've found is like apple pie.....beautiful seasons!!! Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall.... You don't find that in Cali
The data below on incomes and housing is why we moved.

Estimated median household income in 2005: $82,827 (it was $72,057 in 2000)
Irvine $82,827California: $53,629

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $683,400 (it was $316,800 in 2000) Irvine $683,400California: $477,700[/LEFT]

Estimated median household income in 2005: $91,700 (it was $86,232 in 2000)
Keller $91,700Texas: $42,139

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $232,400 (it was $173,000 in 2000) Keller $232,400Texas: $106,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
 
83 posts, read 305,733 times
Reputation: 56
Default I will tell you just how difficult the adjustment is...

I moved to DFW metroplex about 10 months from a beautiful mountain view city in Southern California. Before the moves year anniversary I will be moving back.
Why?
-spiders HUGE and in your house (brown recluse YEEK!)
-insects
all kinds, bugs you've never seen before, huge small and just about everywhere you look
-weather
Winter is cold, brown and very depressing, Summer is too hot, spring is all about tornadoes and rain (also it's windy all the time you cant have screen doors)
and well fall lasted about 1 month (having only One month of nice weather will drive you crazy)
-no mountains
-Nothing fun to do for adults or children
-Racism
-They will lure you here and tell you their school system is superb, but in fact it truly sucks.. your children will come home with zero homework (that's not a good thing, learning needs reinforcement).
-Crazy rude drivers
-traffic just as bad as LA
-poor air quality (possibly worse than LA due to the fact this pollution mainly stems from the Midltohian Cement Kilns- which burn Toxic waste)
-There are so many little differences and you get annoyed that they don't do things here "your" way.
-putting it simply you will go into Culture Shock when you get here.
-you will long to look out your window and see a mountain
-you will miss the beach
-you will miss hiking, surfing, camping

I won't say don't come here.... I have had people say they love it here (from Cali ) and possibly it just takes awhile to get used to. Depends on how much you really dislike Cali.

But I can't stay much longer.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top