Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
I moved to DFW metroplex about 10 months from a beautiful mountain view city in Southern California. Before the moves year anniversary I will be moving back.
Why?
-spiders HUGE and in your house (brown recluse YEEK!)
-insects
all kinds, bugs you've never seen before, huge small and just about everywhere you look
-weather
Winter is cold, brown and very depressing, Summer is too hot, spring is all about tornadoes and rain (also it's windy all the time you cant have screen doors)
and well fall lasted about 1 month (having only One month of nice weather will drive you crazy)
-no mountains
-Nothing fun to do for adults or children
-Racism
-They will lure you here and tell you their school system is superb, but in fact it truly sucks.. your children will come home with zero homework (that's not a good thing, learning needs reinforcement).
-Crazy rude drivers
-traffic just as bad as LA
-poor air quality (possibly worse than LA due to the fact this pollution mainly stems from the Midltohian Cement Kilns- which burn Toxic waste)
-There are so many little differences and you get annoyed that they don't do things here "your" way.
-putting it simply you will go into Culture Shock when you get here.
-you will long to look out your window and see a mountain
-you will miss the beach
-you will miss hiking, surfing, camping

I won't say don't come here.... I have had people say they love it here (from Cali ) and possibly it just takes awhile to get used to. Depends on how much you really dislike Cali.

But I can't stay much longer.....
Yeah Southern California is so perfect, I lived there for several years (San Diego) and saw more racism than Texas, mudslides, wildfires, bad air quality, horrible schools, terrible drivers, polluted beaches, jobs that can't pay the cost of living, very uptight people, no culture and an illegal alien problem that is awful! I could go on but I don't think I need to, Southern California sucks and Fort Worth is a much nicer place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 AM

53 posts, read 243,254 times
Texas is different than CA,yes! But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've lived my entire life in CA, just moved to TX in September, and I am loving it! Do I miss Orange County? Sometimes.. but that's what vacations are for. Am I happier living here? Yes! My daughter's school is 10 times better than the south OC school she attended back in CA. Our neighborhood is nicer and friendlier and safer. People aren't obsessed with name brands and flashing their money around. People are down to earth and family oriented. I saw a few bugs but if you live in one of the new suburbs, you rarely see much because everyone treats their yards and homes regularly.

I think if you move only for the cheap housing, and really don't want to leave CA, then you will be unhappy. We moved for the housing, because lets face it, a young family can not buy a house in CA anymore, but we also came for a better life. We care too much about where we raise our kids to worry about silly things like landscape, nightlife, or in perfect weather. I actually am really loving the weather too, by the way.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
I moved to DFW metroplex about 10 months from a beautiful mountain view city in Southern California. Before the moves year anniversary I will be moving back.
Why?
-spiders HUGE and in your house (brown recluse YEEK!)
-insects
all kinds, bugs you've never seen before, huge small and just about everywhere you look
-weather
Winter is cold, brown and very depressing, Summer is too hot, spring is all about tornadoes and rain (also it's windy all the time you cant have screen doors)
and well fall lasted about 1 month (having only One month of nice weather will drive you crazy)
-no mountains
-Nothing fun to do for adults or children
-Racism
-They will lure you here and tell you their school system is superb, but in fact it truly sucks.. your children will come home with zero homework (that's not a good thing, learning needs reinforcement).
-Crazy rude drivers
-traffic just as bad as LA
-poor air quality (possibly worse than LA due to the fact this pollution mainly stems from the Midltohian Cement Kilns- which burn Toxic waste)
-There are so many little differences and you get annoyed that they don't do things here "your" way.
-putting it simply you will go into Culture Shock when you get here.
-you will long to look out your window and see a mountain
-you will miss the beach
-you will miss hiking, surfing, camping

I won't say don't come here.... I have had people say they love it here (from Cali ) and possibly it just takes awhile to get used to. Depends on how much you really dislike Cali.

But I can't stay much longer.....
I bolded two of your statements up there. We've wondered over and over on this board - Why in the world would you (meaning anyone from out of state) even come here and then get annoyed when things aren't done like "back home"??? What in the world made you think that Texas is anything like where you came from? It is really aggravating when y'all have that superior attitude. The United States isn't yet homogenous from coast to coast, you know. Every area still has it's own unique charm and characteristics, even CA. It doesn't mean we have to like everything but expecting a place to be the same as home and then trashing it if it isn't is just plain stupid, IMO.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I bolded two of your statements up there. We've wondered over and over on this board - Why in the world would you (meaning anyone from out of state) even come here and then get annoyed when things aren't done like "back home"??? What in the world made you think that Texas is anything like where you came from? It is really aggravating when y'all have that superior attitude. The United States isn't yet homogenous from coast to coast, you know. Every area still has it's own unique charm and characteristics, even CA. It doesn't mean we have to like everything but expecting a place to be the same as home and then trashing it if it isn't is just plain stupid, IMO.
Coming from CA I could not have put it any better. I did not come here to trash the way Texas does things (well maybe the freeways). I came here looking for a different life. I did not come here bringing anything from CA. I came here to enjoy the new things/adventures Texas would bring. It is definitely a change but for the better. I wish people moving from CA would just back off, we don't need another situation like Seattle or Boulder, or any other cities where ex-Californians gave us a bad rap.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Seattle and Boulder? Did it happen in those cities?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Seattle and Boulder? Did it happen in those cities?

Yep, many years back Californians had a previous max exodus to greener pastures and most of the cities they went to were not happy to have them for several reasons. The 2 biggest reasons in my opinion were the political correctness, the California does it different/better and the raise in local housing costs. The first could have easily been avoided, the second was probably unavoidable, Californians just come with a lot of equity and have no problem spending it on the cheaper housing.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,682 times
statistics nut

Soccersuporter

Comment on the exdous to Seattle and Boulder are 100% correct. We are now in the 2d big move away from the coastal cities of California and other Coastal areas of the US. I truly hope that those migrating don't due the similar,totally stupid, things again. I live in Northern CA and the Seattle/Portland area residents "hate Californians" for what they percieved they did to thier lifestyles. Part of this , probably the biggest factor, was people with some wealth from being in California and working there. Many actually came from Seattle/Portland, paid the price to be here, then left and went back once they made enough.

However, when you stick your wealth in anyones face by what you purchase for a McMansion and constantly yap about this, what it was like where you came from, this is to be expected ! Especially when you complain about the area you are now living in. Sometimes people do not think and they frequently do not do thier homework on the areas they are relocating to.

Truly ,the single largest factors for success in relocating is "wanting to be there and a better life". Almost embarrased to admit it but I'm looking for something better and because I have "put in my time and put up with everything to get this far" it's time for me to leave. Can't bad mouth anything about the area, 37 million +- people want to be here and the rest of the people in the US don't want to be here. That says 88% of all others in the US are doing very well without living in CA. The "churn" in Northern CA is fairly high with about 25% moving in for 5-6 years and then moving out for all kinds of reasons. Most of this churn is jobs related with people making enough to give themselves a good start elsewhere.

What is a reasonably priced town/city about 30-40 minute drive times +- West of Fort Worth. $200-250K home and 1/4 1/2 acre. Schools are not an issue, crime is an issue taxes are a wash considering no income tax versus CA income tax and property taxes here. I have looked at the statistics but local views tell much more than those numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth