Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,931 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and have pretty much narrowed down our choice of where to live between Keller ISD and Mansfield ISD. We also have two children (5th and 2nd grade) that have been identified as gifted. Our current schools do not offer any TAG programming. I see that both Keller and Mansfield do. Any opinion on which might be a stronger program? From what I can find out online, one difference is when it comes to MS I believe Keller still offers pull out services where Mansfield will place all TAG students on one team. Any thoughts from families that participate in either program? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Where is you job? Those two areas are VERY far apart!
Keller has EXCEL in K-4th and yes it's a pull out system.

Grapevine/Colleyville is another great ISD and so is Southlake.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Yes, they are. The job is in Grand Prairie. We know Mansfield is closer my husband really likes the homes in the Keller area and feels it may be worth the drive. He also likes the idea of a larger vs. smaller school system. Knowing the job is in Grand Prairie, what would be your top schools?

I should add that I believe Southlake is out of our price range. We're looking to spend around $250,000 on a home. We've found plenty of homes that offer what we want in both the Keller & Mansfield ISDs.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Keller to Grand Prairie would be a killer commute--especially if you were living west of 377 in the Heritage area--
Mansfield is better than GP ISD IMO--probably better than Arlington ISD--but you might check out the homes feeding to Martin High school zone...right now that is the top hs in Arlington--and it is basically in the SW area of Arlington

Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Agree ^^ Keller woudl be an AWEFUL commute to Grand Prairie on a daily basis.

for 250 budget my guesss is with Loves2 that you are looking in Heritage area of Ft worth (or near there) and that is even futher west than Keller.

So out of the 2 yes Mansfield would be best.
Look into Arlington (Martin HS zone)

Also look into the Valley Ranch are of N. Irving there are parts zoned for Coppell ISD and it's great.
But I don't know if 250 will swing it in Valley ranch.

I have heard some good things about Cedar hill area as well. But have nev er been myself...but it would be worth checking out too.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanks! I agree that Keller is too far. I just need to convince the hubs of that. I'm looking more into Mira Lagos and Grand Peninsula. There are some homes in our price range and it is Mansfield ISD. I've also heard good things about HEB ISD but it looks from google maps that that would be a rough commute as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
When you are considering schools and GT education, it helps to know what you are looking for in regards to GT. Do you want something added on to perhaps enhance their education experience? Do you want a differentiated curriculum? Do you want advanced placement?

If you are happy with some enhancement, it won't really matter where you go as it won't be enough to impact their over all education.
If you want a curriculum to meet your child's ability individually, then you need to find a magnet or private school that can do that.
If you want advanced placement, then you can find that within many of the districts, however you might note that HEB has International Baccalaureate curriculum available.

As far as the commute, that can depend on so many factors, first of which is time of travel. Then locations are the next biggest issue. During rush hour from Keller to Grand Prairie could take well over an hour, depending on where the start and end places are. But then again, if you were in the southeastern most part of Keller heading to the most northwestern part of Grand Prairie, you might sneak in at around 30 minutes.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsredman View Post
Thanks! I agree that Keller is too far. I just need to convince the hubs of that. I'm looking more into Mira Lagos and Grand Peninsula. There are some homes in our price range and it is Mansfield ISD. I've also heard good things about HEB ISD but it looks from google maps that that would be a rough commute as well.
Look at it this way: gifted kids do well, regardless of the school district. I know, we had a couple. Gifted programs are wonderful. I am sure your kids will be fine wherever you end up. Yes, Keller would be a great choice, but you have to think of the drive, the home prices, and what is best for the entire family.

Nita

Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,467 times
he's talking a 2 to 3 hr commute to and from Keller with most of it on 35m north of Ft Worth, Forget 377!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth