U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 12,765 times
Default SW Fort Worth Older Summer Creek area

The older Summer Creek area on the corner of Granbury and Columbus Tr (behind the fire station) is the farthest north we could find a descent home. By "descent" I mean farthest away from the N. Crowley HS and the lower income houses being built south and east of Risinger Rd.

Can anyone share thoughts about this specific neighborhood? It appeard made up of older, better esablished folks. Private school is the preferred route.

There has been a significant demographic shift in the area! Where did this "type" come from? Are they moving from other parts of Ft Worth or other parts of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 AM

3,832 posts, read 7,506,154 times
Yeah, I'm in the Garden Springs neighborhood and I'm pulling my hair out because of the bad element that keeps moving into our area.

Summer creek (older part) These are older and better established people/homes. It's the oldest neighborhood in this general area. Our child care provider lives over there so I got to spend some time looking around there dropping off and picking up our daughter when she was under her care. You should be ok over there in terms of those "types" of people you refer to but it's a bit of a domino effect when these "types" start invading. Eventually the good folks start jumping ship for higher ground. Thus bringing in more of those "types" that we don't want. Thus inspiring more good folks to move.

I'm leaving the entire area completely.

Is there a particular reason you say you can't go farther north? If you want to go Private school then why not just move over to Bryant Irvin or someplace?

What Private school? Trinity Valley?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for sharing your opinion so quickly and efficiently. I'll go ahead and refrain from mixing my words (to the extent the website will allow). I grew up in the SW FTW area and have been devastated by the influx of a certain group of societal members. Had the Ripley Arnold housing complex not been destroyed (you can thank Tandy for that), home values and the area in general would have remained stronger. These members of society that I speak of bring a certain mix of values or lack thereof and ultimately destroy an infrastructure. Look at their long history of defying the system and taking advantage of a self-imposed class system to which they have helped themselves. We're witnessing it with the latest newsworthy event - "Two masked 21 year old men rob patrons at the Albertson's on Sycamore School Rd" These two "members of society" hailed from the newest project on Sycamore School Rd - the evidence showed such. They had a chance to make the system work for them, yet they chose to violate the rights of others. This won't be the last time we see this.

We have chosen a private school in the area. As far as moving anywhere else? Where can you move (middle income), afford a nice home in a descent neighborhood in FTW? Developers have ruined any prospect of a new home because of their current building standard - homes are being built on top of one another. So, we chose the "older" Summer Creek neighborhood. Hopefully, and I say this with sarcasm, the general population (prison term) will get their act together, watch their kids and keep them from becoming the problem. But who am I kidding, with more "kids having kids" what can I expect?

I've ranted enough. Venting my frustration, again.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM

I share your frustration. I have three kids. The oldest is 9. When she goes to play outside we send her with a walkie talkie or cell phone. We shouldn't have to worry so much.

We've also delt with kids racing on our street. I just about had to drag one of their a$$es out of their car. Started mouthing to me about how I wasn't a cop. I would have beat him to a pulp and drug his remains and what was left of that rice rocket he calls a race car back to his momma's driveway.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norge44 View Post
We're witnessing it with the latest newsworthy event - "Two masked 21 year old men rob patrons at the Albertson's on Sycamore School Rd" These two "members of society" hailed from the newest project on Sycamore School Rd - the evidence showed such. They had a chance to make the system work for them, yet they chose to violate the rights of others. This won't be the last time we see this.
I tend to do my grocery shopping at the Kroger on Hulen or the Albertsons on Bryant Irvan & Oakmont. But periodically I may run up to the Albertsons you speak of out of convenience (It's closer). I used to shop at the Tom Thumb before it closed down (for obvious reasons if you remember how different it was from the albertson's and walmart in the same area). I feel like I have to constantly watch my back in and around that store and Walmart too.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I tend to do my grocery shopping at the Kroger on Hulen or the Albertsons on Bryant Irvan & Oakmont. But periodically I may run up to the Albertsons you speak of out of convenience (It's closer). I used to shop at the Tom Thumb before it closed down (for obvious reasons if you remember how different it was from the albertson's and walmart in the same area). I feel like I have to constantly watch my back in and around that store and Walmart too.

I can empathize with you 100%. The Wal-Mart on McCart was an asset until the clients turned violent. I recall an evening about 4 years ago (after the store opened) - As I walked in, there were police and firemen surrounding the entrance. Evidently 2 young girls were caught shoplifting. When one of the associates confronted them, one actually bit the woman on the arm and inflicted a serious wound. She was later caught and released to her parents, both probably cared less about the crime and this young criminal (more than likely) has gone on to bigger acts of negligence.

It's a shame that we must use facilites farther from where we live, but life goes on. On the brighter side of this whole issue, you can remain rest assured we're not alone. Other respectable families, (black and white) share the same feeling and have the same concerns. Ft Worth has entered the 21st Century with horrible results. We're now no different that Dallas, Houston etc. Damn shame.

Stay safe and watch your kids (that advice applies to any city). Ft Worth's future looks dim. If it were'nt for my employer, I would not have even considered moving back to the area.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
Default I am with you

It is nice to see other people having and sharing the same problem, I mean I am not feel alone anymore.
We moved to the garden springs area 10 years ago with my 2 kids. What a nice area, we put a lot into our home and we love it. Now, we are desperate, every time I go out I think I an living in a getto, and I am. A friend of mine wisely says that the fox and jacobs cheap homes are the gettos of the 21st century, not counting the welare appartment complexes in the area.
My daughter moved out to college, my son attends NCHS, what a nightmare, and we came here because the wonderful Crowley ISD schools, yeah-right. It is the worse school you can see, Dunbar in Ft Worth is better than NCHS. So we decide to sale a house we love and try to move somewhere else.
To the person who send the kid to play outside with a walkie talkie, if you are close to garden springs, close to CMS and Jackie Carden, please do not ever let your girl outside without adult supervision.
It is a coincidence I found this web site, I was looking trough the window with my son and saw an AA young guy, sagging, with no T shirt, so scary that we close the courtain inmediately, and then I got in the computer and found you.
I feel relieve, thanks for the chance to open my heart.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
I also feel everyone's pain. I am middle class and looking for a nice home in a neighborhood where I am NOT the minority! Very difficult to find. I am in Hulen Bend now. I am comfortable here but want a bigger home. The other negative is that too many "people" live in one home!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 AM

365 posts, read 1,011,804 times
Until recently, we were shopping for a house pretty much anywhere in Tarrant county, save for the NE quadrant.

It was overly obvious how, because of ultra-small lots and houses which bordered on junk, even though they were less than ten years old, developers, in the quest to make as much profit as possible, invented pre-built slums.

The place we purchased is SW of Risinger & Hulen. Decent neighborhood, but because low-class people have, or have access to, vehicles, you cannot escape them.

Too many people in one house is a definite issue, and it has gotten worse as the economy continues to motor south, however, classes of people tend to congregate. There is an Albertsons, I think, caddycorner to the Wally World at McCart & Sycamore School road (?), which, after having been in it one time, I will not return. The place is a dive. I do my best to avoid any Wal Mart, as the lowest prices tend to attract those on the marginal end of society. Plus, lowest price almost always equals junk. I'll pay an extra three dollars on a $15 item to have it last more than two uses.

Honestly, I don't care if I'm the only person of my race in an area, as long as it's not held against me. However, many times I'm looked at as "the man", which is beyond ignorant.

mod: off topic, take it to Politics

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-17-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 PM

36 posts, read 48,784 times
I live right by that Albertson's. We shop there frequently and haven't had any problems there in the 13 years we've lived here. In fact they just did a face lift on the place.

We've seen the neighborhood change over the years but yeesh, it's far from ghetto. Get on a bike and ride around. Yeah, there will be some teens that are being all sultry and a general pain in the butt, but that's pretty universal, no matter where you go. If you see anything beyond that, there's a neighborhood police station just south of the Albertson's. Give them a call instead of complaining on a message board. If you don't have anything much to report to the police, then the threat you're feeling from these neighbors is probably more in your head than it is real.

Yeah, you have to be vigilant, but don't assume just because people are a different race than you, or speak a different language, that they're up to no good. Mostly they're just trying to raise their family like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth