U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
 
Location: finally made it back to DFW!
293 posts, read 750,414 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

I lived in DFW from 1994-2002, in the Park Glen/Watauga/Keller area of NE Tarrant. Moved back to MI to be near family and the MI economy is forcing us out, and I have a potential job offer in Fort Worth. From what I understand, the population of the Metroplex has increased by almost 500,000 since I left, and I'm wondering what the effect of an extra half-million people has been.

I have young kids that are in school. From what I've read here, the same school districts are considered good as was the case when I left. But is FW a safe place to raise kids? Has crime increased significantly in the past 5 years? And exactly how bad is the traffic now? lol I remember it being bad, but I'm wondering if it has gotten worse.

Obviously being in a place with more job opportunities than Michigan is important, but I'm a little nervous about returning to DFW because there were some signs when I left that it was starting to have more problems with crime and that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,305,136 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
I lived in DFW from 1994-2002, in the Park Glen/Watauga/Keller area of NE Tarrant. Moved back to MI to be near family and the MI economy is forcing us out, and I have a potential job offer in Fort Worth. From what I understand, the population of the Metroplex has increased by almost 500,000 since I left, and I'm wondering what the effect of an extra half-million people has been.

I have young kids that are in school. From what I've read here, the same school districts are considered good as was the case when I left. But is FW a safe place to raise kids? Has crime increased significantly in the past 5 years? And exactly how bad is the traffic now? lol I remember it being bad, but I'm wondering if it has gotten worse.

Obviously being in a place with more job opportunities than Michigan is important, but I'm a little nervous about returning to DFW because there were some signs when I left that it was starting to have more problems with crime and that sort of thing.
I'm just curious, but have you considered any other area instead of DFW or another state instead of Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2007, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
103 posts, read 623,377 times
Reputation: 53
Well, we live in the far North Fort Worth/Keller area...and, although it has grown tremendously...I haven't seen an increase in crime. The traffic, on the other hand...is nearly the same as it was 5 years ago (but, not 10 years ago). Basswood is open to 35W...as well as North Tarrant Parkway. They have widened North Tarrant Parkway, and this has helped the traffic on Basswood. Now...once you get down near 377 and Basswood...it is still pretty crowded during certain times of the day. It hasn't helpled that there is a few schools now down Parkwood (I believe this is the name of that street). Luckily, I now work the other direction and get to avoid that area all together. 377 is still pretty crowded...but, being that they keep adding shopping...they are adding in traffic lights. You still see people being desperate to get out of the shopping centers...but, for the most part, I don't really see much change from 5 years ago as far as the number of idiots that don't know how to be cautious while driving (I will just turn right so I don't have to cross over six lanes of traffic and then will go the long way home).

Anyway...Fort Worth is STILL a great place to live!!...despite the growth!

...and, this is MY opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 PM
 
Location: finally made it back to DFW!
293 posts, read 750,414 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I'm just curious, but have you considered any other area instead of DFW or another state instead of Texas?
Yes we have, and I have applied to other areas as well...DFW is not really my first choice, I just happened to have gotten a job offer there first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 PM
 
Location: finally made it back to DFW!
293 posts, read 750,414 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by artcgal View Post
Well, we live in the far North Fort Worth/Keller area...and, although it has grown tremendously...I haven't seen an increase in crime. The traffic, on the other hand...is nearly the same as it was 5 years ago (but, not 10 years ago). Basswood is open to 35W...as well as North Tarrant Parkway. They have widened North Tarrant Parkway, and this has helped the traffic on Basswood. Now...once you get down near 377 and Basswood...it is still pretty crowded during certain times of the day. It hasn't helpled that there is a few schools now down Parkwood (I believe this is the name of that street). Luckily, I now work the other direction and get to avoid that area all together. 377 is still pretty crowded...but, being that they keep adding shopping...they are adding in traffic lights. You still see people being desperate to get out of the shopping centers...but, for the most part, I don't really see much change from 5 years ago as far as the number of idiots that don't know how to be cautious while driving (I will just turn right so I don't have to cross over six lanes of traffic and then will go the long way home).

Anyway...Fort Worth is STILL a great place to live!!...despite the growth!

...and, this is MY opinion!
Thanks! I appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
 
Location: native of the Dallas Fort Worth Area
5 posts, read 16,277 times
Reputation: 10
It's definately have spread out more, the area you lived in is now spanding to Denton even more. No relief on the freeways though, they do not plan on expanding 35 until 2011 - great for all those driving that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
 
27,447 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Reputation: 14041
too many furriners...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top