U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,537 times
Exclamation Moving to Fort Worth! Got many questions...

And, honestly, I don't know where the best places are to live. I've never lived in a city this large before.

1. Where are the best places to live? And the safest places?
2. What are the most dangerous places?
3.) Is it fairly easy to get around Fort Worth? I'm a bit of a nervous driver so moving to a larger city is really intimidating.
4. Any recommendations for good apartments? I'd read so many conflicting things on the internet that I'm just totally confused.

If this has been done before, I'm sorry... I've been sick with a cold and just didn't feel up to my usual thorough researching forums for duplicate questions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 AM

6,332 posts, read 9,724,850 times
Two questions:
1. Where will you be working/commuting?
2. What's your budget for an apartment?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 AM

85 posts, read 88,426 times
I'm not an expert on Fort Worth yet, but I thought I'd address one of your concerns. Even though it's a "big city" it's not congested like most places are. Everything is really spread out. We ended up on the highway during "rush hour", which still moved at a good 15-20 mph. I don't know about downtown Fort Worth, but all the other communities surrounding the area are the true definition of suburbia and I'm sure you'll have no problem driving around.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM

129 posts, read 169,646 times
I grew up near Dallas, then spent several years of married life near Nashville TN...then moved back to Texas, on the Fort Worth side. I NEVER got used to driving around Dallas, lol. Took me the entire time we lived in TN to find my way around Nashville. Took me two weekends to learn my way around Fort Worth

Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Two questions:
1. Where will you be working/commuting?
2. What's your budget for an apartment?
I'll be working in Riverside. And the tops I'll pay per month is 900 dollars. Maybe a bit more if things are included.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM

14,307 posts, read 25,605,657 times
900 is not a lot--it is probably baseline for having a nicer 1/1 apt that is in safe area and likely won't get you any 'included' except maybe trash/water

you don't want to live in Riverside
but you might consider living in area around downtown FTW/Sundance Sq area or So7 across the river--
you could use surface streets for your commute--maybe even use the bus system if you wanted to

Lincoln Park at Trinity Bluffs--which is new development north of Belknap--along the Trinity River in FTW says they have apts in that price range--but that part of FTW downtown has few walkable amenities--it is not close to Sundance Sq or any type of grocery shopping and I think it would be kind of scary place to live because of its neighborhood--but that is just my perception

the Lofts on West 7th also say they have apts in your range--
new development/over retail space in historic Montgomery Ward warehouse gentrification proj--lots to do--but probably would be noisy/busy almost all the time because of the bars/restaurants in area and that would be a VERY small unit--

and frankly I don't think that rental amount is for real--those are "hot" areas--
you might be able to find a sublet apt/condo for that price but not really likely

but your better chance would probably be to west of downtown around Ryan Place--or south around Hulen--there are some older apts in the Museum district too

just be aware that FTW city limits is very spread out--there are parts of FTW that are east of Euless close to DFW airport --a 20 min drive from downtown--and as far north as Alliance area--way north of the 820 Loop--and again probably a 25 min drive to downtown
I-35 is not the commute you want to make either--

so apts can list themselves as FTW and be way further than you might really want--
just check the map for zip codes and then search for apts in those areas

check a crime map as well
sometimes apts are more crime prone than the suburban areas around them--
having a "gated" parking lot/development does not automatically guarantee you a safer area
I would definitely call police station that would handle that area and just frankly ask if certain apts are problem areas--tell them you are out of town and just not familiar with FTW at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth