U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM

184 posts, read 786,136 times

Advertisements

Why not choose San Diego? That's a lovely city, on the Ocean with great weather and then you wouldn't be worried about trying to sell your daughter on it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM

103 posts, read 623,604 times
Here is one reason I LOVE Fort Worth:

Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

Fort Worth has a lot of diversity...from cowboys to culture.

We have top notch museums, great places for a day out such as the Botanic Gardens or the Fort Worth Nature Center where you and your family can take a nice hike. We have Bass Performance Hall...Sundance Square...and Six Flags isn't far away. We even enjoy a day at Log Cabin Village which is right by the GREAT zoo we have!

As far as your daughter and the ocean? There are plenty of lakes in the area to do water sports. In our area alone we have three to choose from, Eagle Mountain Lake, Marine Creek Lake and Lake Worth. These aren't quite the ocean...but still lots of fun in the sun.

If you are a golfer, there are LOTS and LOTS of golf courses!! ... and if you are into tennis...LOTS of places, such as schools, you can go for FREE when the courts aren't being used for classes. Also, some parks have tennis courts you can use!

Many have mentioned Downtown Fort Worth and Sundance Square...definitely a GREAT night out, or a fun place to grab lunch and do some light shopping! You can go to a concert, go to a nightclub, go to one of the best Barnes & Nobles around, go to a coffee shop, go to a theatre, or go and see a comedy show...all parked in one place...FOR FREE after 5 and on weekends! Downtown is safe too....*ching*ching*...you will see police officers on their bikes throughout the area. *ching*ching*

If you are vegan like me!...there is even a vegan restaurant in Cowtown. Spiral Diner and Bakery is rated BEST vegan food in North America (by VegNews Magazine).

Now...I'm going to tell you where I was transplanted from (yes, I am a transplanted Texan). I moved here in 1996 from big city Cleveland, Ohio (well, a suburb..actually). While I do miss the beautiful fall weather and the changing of the leaves...I don't miss the snow and the ice and the frigid cold!! The people here in Texas are MUCH different and definitely much more laid back. I get to go to work in jeans instead of a skirt or business suit! YAHOO! I haven't put a pair of heels on since 1996.

Well, that's all for now!! Grab a plane ticket and come on over to visit, y'all!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM

184 posts, read 786,136 times
I didn't think to mention this before but you'll be in excellent company if you decide to move to Fort Worth. Many, many California transplants have moved here and all that I know of seem to like it immensely

Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,197 times
Once upon a time my wife and I had similar anxieties as you, we both originate from outside Texas and we are a mixed race couple. However, we have been happily living here now for four years and do not regret our move one bit.
I would suggest that you and your family take a trip to Fort Worth and hopefully put your mind at ease. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-22-2007 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,424 times
I have also been thinking about moving to Fort Worth. I'm a Jersey native, but it is so incredibly expensive to live here. My wife's cousin and her family moved there about 8 months ago and I talk to her husband all the time. All he does is rave about how inexpensive it is to live there compared to Jersey. They live in the Haslet area of Fort Worth and I was wondering if anyone can give there opinions on that particular area if they happen to know anything about it. I was checking out the prices of houses there and was blown away by how cheap it is. Houses that are on the market for $95,000 could easily go for $300,000-$400,00 or more here. I even saw a house (a bungalow) for $30,000 that would never sell for less than $200,000 here, even if it's in the projects. There is a lot of people that are leaving Jersey because of the cost to live here and the corruption. They are either going to the Carolina's, Florida, or Texas. Currently I am self employed. I install tile and do bathroom renovations, but I have heard that the cost per square foot for a tile installation is much cheaper down south than up here and that worries me. I was thinking of calling a few tile stores down there to get an idea of what most installers are charging. Might have to consider a carreer change. Any info about the Haslet area would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 AM

84 posts, read 304,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debntx View Post
Why not choose San Diego? That's a lovely city, on the Ocean with great weather and then you wouldn't be worried about trying to sell your daughter on it at all.

to be honest with you San Diego is a pleasant place to live the weather wow but the housing are extremely expensive 400 thou. just for 3 beds and very old house. I live in SD for 6 yrs now and I'm planning to move out because i cant afford to buy a house.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:26 AM

38 posts, read 166,140 times
My husband and I moved from Southern California to Connecticut when we are looking for affordable housing a few years ago. Since all my husband’s relatives live there, we thought we can get help from them. We learned very quickly that the house price was less than California, but the cost of living in Connecticut was very expensive. CNNMoney dot com has Cost of Living Calculator that will give you some ideas how far your salary go in another states. When we decided to move again, we did extensive research and picked Fort Worth area. Then we visited here to see if we really like this area. Our visit was worth spending money. We think Fort Worth area is very good place for family vacation as well as good place to live.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 PM

88 posts, read 163,141 times
Default Ft Worth

If you like being outside a lot, you may find Ft Worth to be very difficult in the summer because of the heat and humidity (some do better than others). It's also rather devoid of scenic areas and has kind of blah weather (except in summer - when it's worse). Overall though - it's a very nice place. As others have said - very affordable, laid back lifestyle with very friendly people.

As for a 12 year old - there may not be much to thrill her initially, but 12 year olds usually adjust pretty well. We moved here with a 16, 14 and 11 year old. The 14 and 11 year-olds adjusted with no problems. (16 year old was tougher).

You can probably afford a house with a pool here (just a guess based on housing costs in Fresno compared to FW) which would help. Lots of lakes (though not very attractive in general, but still - wet). Lots of areas with good schools and friendly classmates.

Still, I would guess coming from California (I used to live there -SD and SF area) you will have some major adjustments.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:10 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,199,489 times
I know the Little Rock area as I was born and still have family in Conway (about a half hour away). Understand the racial thing there, and that is a hard situation to live with.
Dallas and Houston have an educational system that is superior, I think, to Chicago, at least. I am sure you can find out the rankings of these cities with a little work on the internet, but I would be more than a little surprised if DFW isn't right up there. They spend on education in Texas.
From reading this board, you will find out MANY Californians are moving to DFW. That alone should tell you something. Read this board and find out.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,140 times
Move to Bedford.

It's located in the middle of the metroplex.

It's located near DFW Airport.

Most rush hour traffic in the Mid-Cities area is headed in the direction of Dallas so if you're going to Fort Worth you would have less traffic to deal with.

It's about 12 miles from downtown Fort Worth.

It's a good place to live. Check it out in zillow.com, realtor.com, and of course city-data.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or