U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM

15 posts, read 60,646 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity for a promotion which would move us to Fort Worth and I'm wondering why I would even want to consider it. We lived in Little Rock for a year and I hated it. Too much racial stuff, no really good areas to live. We currently live in the foothills north of Fresno CA and the only reason I can even think of to move is better housing prices but we'd be renting for now. Right now we're on 13 acres and other than the fact that it's hot, we really like were we are but my husband is really interested in this promotion. I'm just trying to figure out what's there and why I would want to and how I would convince my 12yo daughter.

He'd be making about 100K/year. How far is that really going to go there?

We have two kids 12 and 4 and one on the way so schools are very important and we don't want to be on top of our neighbors, so if I do consider it, where should we look to live?

So, what's good about Fort Worth and please tell me it's nothing like Little Rock.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,970,657 times
100K in Fort Worth is going to go a heck of a lot further than it could in CA.

Why don't you hop on a flight to DFW and check it out before you decide to move across the country?

I wouldn't want to live in Little Rock either quite frankly. I'm generally happy here though. (not happy with my current neighborhood but that's partly my fault)

You say "racial stuff" refering to LR......like what per say?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:33 PM

We would visit before we moved, I'm just trying to get opinions from locals too because I know nothing about the area and the Chamber of Commerce websites, etc are only going to give you so much info.

As far as racial stuff in LR, whites stayed in one area, black people in another and they didn't dare live near each other or go into each others areas. Racial tension was palpalable. One block in any direction made all the difference in the world. I didn't meet anyone who wasn't prejudiced. It seemed like the civil rights movement completely bypassed the city. It was not an attitude I wanted my children to grow up with. I used to cringe when my neighbor came over because he would inevitably start talking about race and making his views loudly known.

We moved there from downtown Indianapolis, where it was a nice mix of people and I couldn't believe the difference in people's attitudes.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 4,571,330 times
I know quite a few people that have moved from CA to buy larger properties with a lot of acreage. Yes, 100K will go a lot farther than there in CA. We just moved from Sacramento. What I can find from here is that race really isn't an issue here in the Fort Worth area.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 AM

184 posts, read 617,027 times
Minafair, it sounds like you are very happy in the foothills of Fresno, yes?
You state that the only reasons you can think to even move away is housing and the heat where you live, right?
How hot does it get there??
Consider this: In the Dallas-Fort Worth region, 13 out of the first 14 days of August 2006 were 100-plus scorchers. Up until a month or so ago, the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex was in a drought. Then it started to rain. And it rained and it rained and it rained. North Central Texas has just had the 2nd wettest June in history with only June 1928 being wetter, and not by much.
So those are your weather extremes...
Housing:
2007 Fort Worth Median Housing Cost: $163,183
2007 Fresno Median Housing Cost: $292,813
(according to money cnn dot com)
So those are your general housing comparisons.
To get an idea of education in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex a website to use is greatschools dot com.
town-mall dot net lists all the school districts in the Metroplex so you can check that out.
Fresno has a Racial Diversity index of 239.5% with 100% being the national average (according to cnn money dot com)
Fort Worth has a Racial Diversity index of 168.4%.
Now, for just the plain talk ...
Fort Worth is a family friendly place.
There are Stockyards and Museums alike.
Botanic gardens and a top rated Zoo.
Cowboy hats are not uncommon here and located throughout the Metroplex designer stores exist.
Located here is the Texas Motor Speedway (NASCAR) and Bass Hall Performing Arts.
You'll find lots of bbq diners, tex-mex cafes and steak houses. You'll also find expensive exclusive resturants as well as ethnic dining.
Dallas is more "big city" while Fort Worth is more "laid back". I can't tell you how many times I've heard it described this way.

Fort Worth is generally flat relatively dry and fairly windy. Hunting, fishing and boating are some of the other local favorite things to do.
Southern hospitality is very noticable here as is the love of country music. On the other hand, you can find just about all tastes of music as well.

Many Californians have relocated here as well as from all areas of the U.S. but there is a definite distinct *flare* you will only find in Texas.
It's got it's own personality.
Honestly, from your posts, to me, it came across more like you were wondering why you'd ever consider coming to this place rather than asking for people's help on the area and that sounds a little condescending. Perhaps I misunderstood or read you wrong. That happens so easy without facial expressions and body language to assist. So if I am wrong, I'm sorry. That's just how it came across to me.
I have found over the years that a postive attitude makes a big difference in moving to a new area.
Anyway, I do hope this helps

Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 14,846 times
Default Why should you move to Ft. Worth...?

Well,

I live in the "mid-cities". This is three cities located between DFW airport and Ft. Worth (south of us). The cities' names are Hurst, Euless and Bedford. When I moved their from Houston, TX, where I had lived most of my life, the things I think were better were the following:

I was close to everything: Home Depot, grocery stores, lots of great restaurants. The topography was more "rolling" than Houston, which is flat, flat, flat. It is much less humid in the DFW area than Houston, but still very, very hot (can be upper 90s and over a 100 many, many days in the summer). All the buildings have air conditioning, though, so you can just stay inside a lot. If you're a gardener, it is very hot and dry in the summer, so lots of watering needed and yet they often put you on a watering schedule.

Your money will go pretty far. In my neighborhood, the houses are two-story, 2000 or more sq. ft. and priced around 175,000 and up. So my house, for instance, I paid $150,000 for 2300 sq. ft in 1999, now is worth at least $200,000.

To be fair, not as beautiful as, say, Seattle, but hey, the houses are priced affordably and you could get some land if you go north of Dallas.

Okay. I hope this was helpful. Oh, by the way, Ft. Worth downtown is beautiful, clean, safe, and many nice shops. Our highways here are kept clean. There are lots of lakes around if you like boats and water sports.

Good luck with your decision. You could do worse!

Susan

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM

369 posts, read 1,304,696 times
In the city, itself, the west and southwest sides are the best areas and are wooded with rolling terrain. These are the areas with gorgeous homes, beautiful country clubs (Colonial, Ridglea, Mira Vista) and great private schools (FW Country Day and Trinity Valley). There are many good suburban areas, too, with everything from tract homes to large homes on a few acres. Commuting is easy around FW and your money will go far. Fort Worth's nickname is "Cowtown" but you'll see just as much Prada as you do cowboy boots. Welcome!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! We are considering it. I'm sorry if I came off condescending, that was not my intention. I just really hated it the last time I lived in the south and TX has never been on my list of places that I've even thought about moving to. Not that I have anything against it, it just hasn't been something to consider. Plus I'm very worried about my daughter. The other place we are considering is San Diego, I can sell San Diego, she loves the ocean. But I'm not sure how to sell Fort Worth to her. I'm concerned when I say TX, she'll be really worried because she was miserable in Little Rock as well, she never fit in there. She's really happy here and she'll be giving up a lot if we move, her friends, her bowling league, she has a job as a reporter for a local community newspaper, a school she knows and likes, teachers that love her. She's tired of being the new girl. She's been moved a lot and the plan was to stay here until she graduates from high school, but with my husband's career, planning is never a good idea. I need to be completely sold on it be able to sell her and I need more than we'll be doing better financially to convince her she won't be miserable.

I do feel better about the area now and feel like I have a little more information.

How bad are the watering restrictions? I am a gardener and right now we're on a well so I can water as much as I need to, until we have a few more wet seasons like this year anyway.

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM

369 posts, read 1,304,696 times
Moving a child is always hard - doesn't matter where, unfortunately. I've been to Little Rock many, many times and know people who live there - they all live up in the Heights area in older (but nice) homes - AND they're all Little Rock natives who, also, grew up in the Heights. Get the picture? Little Rock is pretty and I like visiting there but it's lightyears different than Dallas/Fort Worth. I would describe Little Rock as "a big small town".

Regarding water restrictions - We live in Arlington (next to Fort Worth) and we can't water between 10:00 a.m and 6:00 p.m. It's really no big deal because our sprinklers have always been programmed to run starting around 5:00 a.m. to minimize evaporation. We can hand water anything we want anytime, however. It's just lawn sprinklers that can't run during the day. Being a gardener, you won't be restricted.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,970,657 times
Yeah, you don't want to have to shuffle your kids around anymore than you have to. Obviously the instability is bad for them. OTH....you are the adult. You shouldn't have to "sell" what's best for your family to your children. And it won't be that long until your oldest has to go off to college or what not. If you move her now then she'll get a small taste of what that will be like. This way it won't be such a culture shock in a few years when you send her off. This could be really really good for her. She just doesn't realize it yet.

It seems that a lot of folks are moving here from CA. I wouldn't worry about mixing in. This place isn't close to what you described Little Rock as. This isn't hillbilly land or the wild west either. But there are places you could go not too far away that you could find that. If diversity is what you seek then stay inside the Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth