Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 PM

85 posts, read 173,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Car insurance can't be more than CA. I have had the same brand/model of car for the last 10 years and lived in the following states over the last 6 years and my insurance costs were:

CA = $1200/yr (AAA - cheapest)
IN = $300/yr (AAA - cheapest)
FL = $900/yr (Geico - cheapest)

The quote I just did for Ft. Worth was $500/yr (Progressive)

All quoted with a perfect driving record, married & female.

**Well, perhaps the statement should be qualified by stating that insurance rates vary widely and are dependent on many factors. Generally we found CA to be the most expensive in terms of car ownership.**
I called Progressive yesterday to see what switching my plan to Texas would cost me. I took off a car and a driver, so I lost my multi-driver/multi-car discount, but added some full glass coverage (those hailstorms scare the crap out of me!) and lowered my deductible, which increased my premiums. My plan is going to be $30 a month less. I'd say Texas is still cheaper, although probably not by too much. In fact, the agent said Texas is pretty competitive with California. I'm planning to shop around insurance companies because I have to renew in March. I think it will still be slightly less no matter who I go with, but probably not less enough to make much of a difference in the long run.

Sorry for the edit: I forgot to mention that the older your car gets, the less value it has, so your insurance rates will go down. I do agree with you that CA has some high rates, but it might be less if you moved back now just due to the fact that your vehicle is worth less.

Sorry, another edit! I just re-read what I wrote, and you know what? I think you're right! Losing discounts, lowering deductibles, and adding glass coverage all increase my premium and I'm still paying $30 a month less. If I kept it exactly the same, I'd probably be paying a lot less. Ha. It's been a long packing day. Please excuse the delirium.

Last edited by Jenyphero; 01-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Duh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM

85 posts, read 173,269 times
Quote:
When I moved to the US from Canada they wouldn't recognize my license and I had to redo both the written test AND the driving test.

If the UK is anything like Canada, then you will find the driving tests in the US to be an absolute joke. In Canada our tests were AT LEAST 45 minutes long. When I did my driving test in California it was literally less than 10 minutes. I even asked the guy "Is this it?"
You must have had a tester who was either tired or bored. Mine was pretty long and we had to do a lot. Not to mention the left hand turns in a busy intersection with no lights.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,414,203 times
Quote:
Car insurance can't be more than CA. I have had the same brand/model of car for the last 10 years and lived in the following states over the last 6 years and my insurance costs were:

CA = $1200/yr (AAA - cheapest)
IN = $300/yr (AAA - cheapest)
FL = $900/yr (Geico - cheapest)

The quote I just did for Ft. Worth was $500/yr (Progressive)

All quoted with a perfect driving record, married & female.

**Well, perhaps the statement should be qualified by stating that insurance rates vary widely and are dependent on many factors. Generally we found CA to be the most expensive in terms of car ownership.**

California insurance tends to be a little less (**it was for me being in Northern California) than in DFW. I wasn't saying it was the most expensive in the country.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 AM

425 posts, read 992,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphero View Post
You must have had a tester who was either tired or bored. Mine was pretty long and we had to do a lot. Not to mention the left hand turns in a busy intersection with no lights.
When I moved from Australia (to Chicago) 18 years ago, my driving test was less than 10 minutes; I had to drive out of the testing station, turn right, drive to the traffic lights, turn right, and go around the block.

I don't have any advice to OP on the written test for Texas - I've never taken it.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 AM

309 posts, read 809,959 times
I've found out that there are 2 parts to the written test - one on signs and the other on road safety and rules etc - both multiple choice type tests and have found a site that tests you on both these (for a small fee) until you pass them at least 5 times and they then guarantee you will pass the official test or they refund your fee. So got that side sorted now :-)

The UK driving test is quite lengthy and must contain certain elements/manoeuvres chosen randomly by the examiner on the test day out of a small number of possible manoeuvres. Some manoeuvres are also mandatory so all-in-all the test usually takes at least 45 mins and I believe that the first time pass rate for new drivers is not very high. I was lucky in that I passed first time and so have my son and daughter now but the majority of their friends didn't so it is not easy.

I am hoping that the Texas one will be short and sweet for me - I feel way too old to be doing a driving test and being all nervous and stuff LOL

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM

295 posts, read 947,216 times
you should be fine. Just a word of advice, do NOT buy the STi as your first car in the US ... yeah, that is guaranteed to give you a painful insurance bill every month. Get something cheap to insure and after a year, get anything you want!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
you should be fine. Just a word of advice, do NOT buy the STi as your first car in the US ... yeah, that is guaranteed to give you a painful insurance bill every month. Get something cheap to insure and after a year, get anything you want!
yes, I did have a look on ebay to see if there were any STi's for sale nearby but there weren't - probably just as well! Got my eye on a couple of other makes/models as I don't want to give up a nice drive completely even if only for a year - no idea how to check what cars are in what insurance group bracket over there though (like I would check Parkers in the UK) - would Kelly's have insurance group info? Also the makes and models are almost completely different from what we get in the UK so don't know if things are good (reliable, safe etc) or not, guess need to research a bit. Fancy a "girly" car (convertible, coupe or at least a moonroof) and got my eye on the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Chrysler Sebring (2dr convertible) or maybe a Z3 or Merc C230 (I know what they are like, we've had one previously). Also saw a Pontiac Sunfire which looked nice. Any advice on any of those or shall I just buy a Smart Car for the first year?!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,638,821 times
So much of DFW driving is freeway driving. I wouldn't feel safe in a Smart Car on the freeway. For girly cars I like the Nissan and Infiniti sporty coupes. Cars for Sale: 2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast in Plano, TX 75075: Convertible Details - 292687553 - AutoTrader.com

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
So much of DFW driving is freeway driving. I wouldn't feel safe in a Smart Car on the freeway. For girly cars I like the Nissan and Infiniti sporty coupes. Cars for Sale: 2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast in Plano, TX 75075: Convertible Details - 292687553 - AutoTrader.com
I wouldn't want to drive a Smart Car either, personally I don't think they look safe on any type of road, maybe more for going up and down the aisles at the grocery store?! (Hastily apologises to any smart car drivers reading this ) I was just jesting...

The 350Z is a great looking car but I can't imagine that would be cheap to insure either for someone like me coming into Texas as a "new" driver. I can see having to be very sensible the first year and just getting something old and cheap that gets me to work, home and the airport and then reassess once I have done my time as a new driver and can start getting better insurance quotes!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,638,821 times
Oh! Drive this and you will be a naturalized Texan in 48 hours!!

Cars for Sale: 1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup 2WD B4000 Cab Plus in Arlington, TX 76011: Truck Details - 292488469 - AutoTrader.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth