U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-31-2011, 09:43 AM

14 posts, read 33,250 times
Default small towns west of dfw

Okay, so I've posted a lot on the Indiana board because my husband and I thought we were going to be moving up there. BUT! I threw a fit, and we're staying in Texas. Haha, I never want to leave. So now we're trying to find some small towns west of D/FW (we both really hate Dallas, But love Fort Worth). We had been considering moving to Corsicana south or Dallas, but its still too big... and too close to Dallas (did I mention we hate Dallas?).

We're really wanting that "small town USA" feeling. Family friendly, small school district, borrow sugar from your neighbor type town. I would like to feel like I'm stepping back in time to a Mayberry feeling. All American, small town.

We live in Arlington now, and I hate everything about it (except my Texas Rangers!!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM

917 posts, read 1,402,512 times
I don't know if I can help with the "Mayberry" feeling but do understand why you want to move. My spouse and I moved from the Dallas area to the outskirts of FW last summer. We love it but of course, everything has its pros and cons. We don't have children yet but moved to a town that has decent schools because we knew it would be a factor in the future. Do you have kids in school now? Please feel free to IM me, I can give you more details.

Unread 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 33,250 times
Actually our kiddo is only 4 months old, but my husband and I agree that we want to.be settled before our little Guy starts school.

Unread 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM

154 posts, read 156,933 times
Smaller towns with an old town feel near Fort Worth that you might take a look at would be Weatherford, Waxahachie, Midlothian, Granbury, Gainesville, Mineral Wells, Stephenville. Going further north and east would be Denison, Sherman, Bonham, Honey Grove (lots of fine old homes there) and Clarksville. Further still to the east would be Jefferson, TX which is essentially a 19th Century river boat town preserved in time. Calvert TX farther to the south essentially remains in the same time period. It all depends on the kind of atmosphere you are looking for. The biggest challenge in smaller towns in Texas as well as other States is the local economy. In some places, jobs are non-existent so you either have to create a business yourself or have external sources of income. Smaller towns also tend to be cliquish but if you try to be friendly in most cases the locals will reciprocate. The Texas Dept. of Transportation publishes a Guide to Texas towns meant for the tourist trade. (used to be free but I'm not sure now) The listings for the towns contain a wealth of information about individual smaller communities. Texas is blessed with many "Mayberry" type communities which are sometimes well off the beaten path. Assuming you can secure your income, you'll find most smaller places welcome newcomers with open arms. (especially faded farming communities in remote areas.)

Unread 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM

13,922 posts, read 24,240,473 times
some of the schools in those small towns have gotten some negative reports

check the water source and the tax base--you want a town that is viable enough to keep a good local hospital and doctors and have good police/sheriffs dept
lots of not-so-nice people move to the country to do bad things like make meth

Unread 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

211 posts, read 206,962 times
West of FW, I would suggest Aledo, Weatherford, Brock, Granbury, Stephenville, Decatur, Mineral Wells, Graham....all nice small towns, but close enough to FW to get your dr. appts, shopping, etc. Do your homework on the schools, but my limited knowledge tells me that they are all pretty good. I know, athletically, many of them are excellent, and IMO, athletics often drive the school district and contribute to the small-town feel and spirit of community.

A bit farther south and west are Glen Rose, Hico and Hamilton...fun places to visit, but they might be too small to live.

I think your choices are limitless, and I think it's very exciting. I will probably do the same thing in 10 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth