U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,844 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to Keller soon and we are African American as well. We would love to get together with your family. We are in business in Louisiana and racism is oone reason we are moving. They are centuries behind, as I like to say. The whites will only do business with whites regardless of our excellent service. The blacks fall into the trap of thinking that "white is right" and they will willingly let any dishonest caucasion rip them off over doing business with a person of color. We are moving for a more even playing field....this is 2008! I am relieved to see some of the responses on this forum and helps me to feel that our decision is right. We felt that it is a more diverse area with progressive mindsets. We genuinely love ALL people and it is so hard to raise your children with the same values and see them get hurt or feel "less than" because of the color off their skin. On the flip side, I do feel that sometimes we are a little sensitive b/c of what we do sometimes experience and I appreciated hearing he fact that "snooty" is "snooty" not always racist. It is so awesome to be able to talk about these issues and we look forward to making plenty of friends in Keller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall909 View Post
I just moved to Fort Worth, Keller to be exact and I am feeling a little out of place. I've noticed there is not much African American presence out here. My children are involved in alot of activities and I can see the parents staring me up and down when I walk in. Is this normal? We spent a good amount on our house but definately not too much compared to California. My neighbors are a little snooty so I don't know if we are just out of our realm. Please help!
I'm sure that it has more to do with you and your family coming from CALIFORNIA (In Texas this is also known as "The Great Satan") than anything else. I would guess that your neighbors will warm up, just make sure to keep from pre-emptively judging them.

As for Louisiana in the post above, that's an entirely different animal from NE Texas. Ask anyone in DFW if they consider their city to be a part of East Texas (which is really West Louisiana with less taxes and less Okefenoke).

Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM

359 posts, read 930,695 times
To the original poster: I posted before on this very situation. I am an African American woman living in the Keller. Not Fort Worth, but Keller. So many people get that confused because of the zip code situation and sharing the ISD.

Anyhow, we have lived in this wonderful city for nearly 13 years now and we are quite happy. We have 4 children who would absolutely die if we chose to move to another town. We haven't experienced blatant racism but the fact is that we only make up approximately 1% of the population here so we are like a rare jewel. ) People will stare or look at you. Smile back. Perhaps that is their way of welcoming you to the community. Perhaps they are curious. Perhaps they are admiring your beautiful skin that doesn't wrinkle too soon, perhaps its your beautiful curly hair that you can wear in a wide array of styles. Perhaps its your swagger or your confidence. Who knows. Just smile back or strike up a conversation. That's the best way to make yourself feel comfortable in new surroundings. Yes, you may be a tad bit paranoid. Just let it go and try to assimilate into this area. You'll find that it's a great place to live and raise a family.

I could say more but it's time to pick 3 of my beautiful African American babies up from school. I'll be sure to wave and smile at everyone in the car line. )

Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
Well my famlily is moving to fort worth texas and it is pissing me off for ppl to tell me that Imma get lenched. I don't and can't beleave it. I am african american and, I dont want to beleave that people are still being racist, God created us and Im quite sure that he will watch over his children.

Last edited by beautiful1221; 06-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: wanted to put in a comma

Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,093,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful1221 View Post
Well my famlily is moving to fort worth texas and it is pissing me off for ppl to tell me that Imma get lenched. I don't and can't beleave it. I am african american and, I dont want to beleave that people are still being racist, God created us and Im quite sure that he will watch over his children.
You have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. You're welcome here friend, and so is your family. All of the people that I know here don't judge you by the color of your skin, but by your character. If I meet someone who is racist, I steer clear. And that RARELY happens here. The non-racists outnumber the racists by about 1,000 to 1, so if race ever became an issue, you'd have a LOT of people on your side!!!

I'd welcome you and your entire family into my neighborhood if you are decent; I DO NOT CARE about the color of your skin.

You're welcome any time to my neighborhood if you are a decent person.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM

3,052 posts, read 3,130,782 times
I was born and raised in Fort Worth and now live in NRH, which is very close by. We have neighbors from many diverse nationalities which include an Iraqi neighbor, two Hispanic neighbors, a few white neighbors(Irish and German), and one African American family. I think people may be looking at you because you are new to the neighborhood. None of us that are neighbors look at each other, other than looking "out for" each other........

Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM

369 posts, read 1,565,196 times
As long as there are people of different races/creeds/colors on this planet, there will be some degree of racism. It's part of human nature, apparently.

However, it is, from what I see, a very overblown problem for the vast majority of the population. If you're looking for it, however, you'll find it. The media is always looking for something, ergo, it's rampant and the LARGEST PROBLEM ON THE PLANET.

If you have Cali plates on your car(s), however, beware.... 8-P

My wife and I are white, we're in SW FW, Risinger & Hulen area, which appears is about a 50/50 mix of folk...I couldn't care less to be perfectly honest. I work for a business which is geared towards the "minorities" in this area, but because I don't hold anything against anyone they have -0- control over, they don't hold anything against me.

FWIW, the census stats show "minorities" are now the majority in four states...Texas is one of them. So technically, I'm now a minority. ;-)

Whatever. I'm not rich, so I'm in the same boat as 99.5% of the population. Money has more influence on attitudes than anything else, IMO.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:57 PM

36 posts, read 81,295 times
I'm a pasty-white guy who happens to be from up north. There is an "outside looking in" phenomenon in Texas. Give the Texans a chance; you'll find out they're not that bad.

Even if they talk funny.

(I kid! I kid!)

Old 06-19-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
good they look at u up and down, I live in Euless, i wear scarf, and people in general look away when they see me or see my children. some times thier children try to play with my children but thier parents just call them and walk away, if i greet them they dont answer me, and this situation is the same with my husband at work. our english is not so great, so there is always some one who try to make fun of his excent, or they just ignore him when he want to ask them a question or talk to them, i do believe there is good people but they r not as much as racisam people.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,416 times
Smile love without aquantence

First of all, like many of the others i would like to welcome you to the city of Fort Worth. I learned long ago to see myself in those around me to understand the wall built between us. There will always be those that hate and fear the dawn of possibility because people have been hurt and driven through this intersection that we desire. The word of God tells us that the reapping occurance is 100%. The challenge at hand has been given to you, where many others have failed. The soul fails as a result of Adams fall and rises as a result in Jesus Christ. There are some wonderful people here in this town do not return the hate that you are being subjected to, the oportunity to teach can sometimes get worst. However we all have the same struggle and fight the same wars. and remember why you relocated and not present your own war. Find a quite place and as a family allow God to bring down those barriers

love brother mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or