U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM

36 posts, read 81,232 times

Advertisements

Oh Lord what a bunch of malarkey ^ I don't think that will help ANYONE who has expressed concerns on this thread.

Whenever you move to a new place, you are the outsider. The more different you are, the more of an outsider you are and the longer it takes to make friends and blend in. I've lived in several different cities in the U.S. and at first I thought this was unique to the particularly city I was in but now I think it's just part of human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall909 View Post
I just moved to Fort Worth, Keller to be exact and I am feeling a little out of place. I've noticed there is not much African American presence out here. My children are involved in alot of activities and I can see the parents staring me up and down when I walk in. Is this normal? We spent a good amount on our house but definately not too much compared to California. My neighbors are a little snooty so I don't know if we are just out of our realm. Please help!
I think you are being overly sensitive. My grandkids (not Afican Americans) went to school in Flower Mound which is very similar to Keller and had both black and white kids in all their organizations. No one ever made an issue over this. If you are noticing this, you need to lighten up. I really doubt anyone is really staring you up and down. Of course you are in the minority and yes, there will always be a few who might have some problems with accepting you and your family. We lived in Lewsiville for years, the young family across the street were black, they had 2 little girls. The rest of the neighborhood was pretty much white and I they seemed to fit in with no problems. Our old church was in Flower Mound, same thing, no one turned their noses up because we had a few black members, even a couple of mixed relationships.

Now I just noticed this thread was started 3 years ago.
Nita

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
this was the post that started this old thread up---
you tell me why it was not deleted right away
it is offensive and posted as an initial post by someone who has not reposted so it was obvious troll acting out...
Well my famlily is moving to fort worth texas and it is pissing me off for ppl to tell me that Imma get lenched. I don't and can't beleave it. I am african american and, I dont want to beleave that people are still being racist, God created us and Im quite sure that he will watch over his children.

it was done just to provoke commentary about racism...

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 PM

101 posts, read 228,898 times
I am an African-American and my experience just on the forums of Dallas and Fort Worth have shown that racial tendencies do exist in the DFW area. I also have a friend who moved from DFW to Cleveland, OH who said that Dallas still some ways to go when it comes to race. There are areas that still don't like to see blacks in them. I have heard that even the companies in Dallas possess some of those racial issues when hiring African Americans. We are still deciding whether to go to Dallas or HOuston but what i can say is that after some of the Dallas forums I have been in Dallas doesn't seem as diverse as Houston is, especially when excepting African-American families.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:35 PM

145 posts, read 568,782 times
Degrees of racism can be found everywhere, even internationally, that's for sure. In general, Dallas may be more a little more progressive and diverse than Fort Worth but overall both are safe and generally welcoming. I would be suprised if Houston is that noticeably different in their acceptance and treatment of minority families.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,911,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall909 View Post
I just moved to Fort Worth, Keller to be exact and I am feeling a little out of place. I've noticed there is not much African American presence out here. My children are involved in alot of activities and I can see the parents staring me up and down when I walk in. Is this normal? We spent a good amount on our house but definately not too much compared to California. My neighbors are a little snooty so I don't know if we are just out of our realm. Please help!

You noticed there weren't many AA people there after you bought your house?

I don't know what the problem is, maybe your beautiful/handsome and thats why people stare at you. If not, I doubt it is because you're AA, most educated white people do NOT think this way or leer at others for that reason. Probably more out of interest in you because you don't look like every other Stepford family in the area.

Personally, sounds like an opportunity to make great friends and expand your horizons.

The racism thing is really much more overrated than what you have been told by your peers, trust me.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:34 PM

135 posts, read 288,220 times
I am half of a mixed race hispanic/white couple and I lived here for many years, moved to Florida and moved back 2 years ago. To be honest, I find the North Texas area one of the most unfriendly, paranoid places I've ever seen, especially in the past 10 years. Very hard to get to know your neighbors, if you don't have a job where you meet lots of people, its hard. I even remember it that way a little bit as a kid moving here from the midwest and hearing my mom talk about how unfriendly the neighbors seemed. We were in HEB area then and now are in Keller. We wave at neighbors and they turn away like they didn't see. Florida was extremely friendly, courteous, to people from all walks of life. Friends of ours that are Floridian/New Yorkers who are here now say the same thing. The "friendly Texas" is not in North Texas by any means.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
I am half of a mixed race hispanic/white couple and I lived here for many years, moved to Florida and moved back 2 years ago. To be honest, I find the North Texas area one of the most unfriendly, paranoid places I've ever seen, especially in the past 10 years. Very hard to get to know your neighbors, if you don't have a job where you meet lots of people, its hard. I even remember it that way a little bit as a kid moving here from the midwest and hearing my mom talk about how unfriendly the neighbors seemed. We were in HEB area then and now are in Keller. We wave at neighbors and they turn away like they didn't see. Florida was extremely friendly, courteous, to people from all walks of life. Friends of ours that are Floridian/New Yorkers who are here now say the same thing. The "friendly Texas" is not in North Texas by any means.
It actually depends on where you are at and where you move to that the neighbors are from. If you move into a neighborhood with predominately ex-Californians, (just naming because as an ex-Californian - I see it all the time) keep their head down out of survival instinct. So while you think it may be rude (I do as well) look at it as they haven't had the pleasure yet of meeting you. I don't think it is a racism aspect just a stranger aspect.

We spend some time in HEB at the malls and shopping etc in Keller/Watauga and I talk to people like I talk to them here in North Fort Worth and I honestly get a little peeved when people don't respond. I remember at Christmas time, I was like "what the heck? you are in Watauga...get over yourself already!"

When we moved here from California, I made EVERY effort to become a Texan and not ***** and whine that it wasn't California. I have found that people here have little sympathy for people that expect things for nothing. You either make an effort and keep trying and do find those people that will enjoy getting to know you or you move on. I know for us, we have been here since 2007 and I have met people that I would consider family.

Anyway...keep trying and I hope you find some truly great friends!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 PM

75 posts, read 250,639 times
Welcome to the area! I personally have never noticed any sort of shunning or racism in our area. My kids attend Keller ISD and our area (being the "lost" people of FW with the Keller zip) is very diverse. I don't meet many native Texans, there are so many from the east coast or the north (including myself) that it seems not much different than my home state. I personally think 98% of the people here are great and accepting of everyone, so give it some time!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,492 times
I am Black and have to boys now 18 and 14. We moved to Lakeworth,tx (still considered Ft worth by the mailing address) from Indiana 3 years ago. I wouldnt say you have NOTHING to worry about. Being black, you know you will run into some fool somewhere who will behave like an idiot. Indiana isnt exactly the United Nations so I can understand your feelings about being stared at etc. Since I am in an interacial relationship, that sometimes only brings more attention. I would suggest you do what I have always done my entire life. And that is live your life and pay them no mind. I would think that most people are not being racist, just nosy or rude. But there will always be THAT one who is racist and doesnt mind showing it. Being in the minority, unfortunately I am sure you have seent that before and know how to deal with it. I have found most people here friendly whereever I go. But just like in Indiana, there are cities I wouldnt go to because they were not kind to people of color. Offhand, I would say Jasper,tx and Paris,tx because they have been in the news for hate crimes in recent years. But in general, I have most of texas very friendly. Enjoy your nice house, your kids activities and you will make friends sooon. If not where you live, get out and enjoys Ft worth, Dallas, and all of Texas. Its huge and it will be only a matter of time before you meet many people you can call friend. Welcome to Texas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or