Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,828 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to moving to Texas. What part will be a good place to raise a family? I was considering Arlington ,Texas or Fort Worth, Texas. Please Advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 AM

425 posts, read 995,427 times
Netta - you might be better off starting a new thread, rather than re-opening an older thread; you are likely to get some faster responses.

Good luck with your move - I don't have any real advise - I moved down here 18 months ago, so I'm really only familiar with the area in which I currently live (north FW). I love it here.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
You guys must be looking through rose colored glasses. If Fort Worth is so racially tolerant then where are the Black oriented night club(s), upscale restaurants, concert venues, Greek Letter organizations, Black politicians, thriving (key word) Black sections of town. Just because people tolerate your presence does not mean they are not racist. I find the Black people here are like the slaves of old who just shut up, heads hung low, with hat in hand hoping that maybe "mastah won't notice them". Yes, I'm Black and I'm from a real big city up north that is racist, YET, Black people are accepted AND Black people have their own.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 AM

119 posts, read 347,868 times
We live in Hawaii and are white.

I understand how you feel, and no one can take that away from you.
Its a very uncomfortable feeling, and I cannot wait to get out of this
place in 2 weeks and NEVER come back.

Our daughter has dark blonde hair, and kids have put cockroaches in her hair
at school. They knock her down. They are downright mean.
The school just looks the other way.
About a month ago, she stayed home for 2 weeks.

We are moving to Flower Mound - would love to meet you and your family.

White people are called "haole" (pronouced HOW-LEE) which means WHITE PERSON,
in a derogatory way.
I believe black people are called "popolo".

Hawaii is RACIST, no matter what anyone says.
They kiss butt to tourists, as that is the states income, then call you a "haole" as soon as
you turn your back. Or a "popolo".

From our previous vacations here, I "THOUGHT" the people here were friendly.
NOPE. The folks here want your money, but do NOT like the tourists. Double
edged sword I guess.

We are leaving with just our suitcases of clothes. Cannot afford to ship our
furnishings back to the mainland.

I cant wait to get to Texas.
I'm pretty sure Texans wont be calling me a 'haole' out there, and I doubt any
kids will put cockroaches in my kids hair.
I bet I can walk into Walmart and won't be stared down. I have not even left
our house in the last 6 months. Tired of trying to prove myself. Im just me.

Gosh, as I said, I feel for you.
If youd like to get our families together after we get to Texas, just send me
a private / direct message.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushG View Post
You guys must be looking through rose colored glasses. If Fort Worth is so racially tolerant then where are the Black oriented night club(s), upscale restaurants, concert venues, Greek Letter organizations, Black politicians, thriving (key word) Black sections of town. Just because people tolerate your presence does not mean they are not racist. I find the Black people here are like the slaves of old who just shut up, heads hung low, with hat in hand hoping that maybe "mastah won't notice them". Yes, I'm Black and I'm from a real big city up north that is racist, YET, Black people are accepted AND Black people have their own.
Based on your post, if FW were to have all of those things, it wouldn't make a difference (since your big city up north has them and is still racist).

Having our own is no different in FW than it is in many other large cities. I've never felt slighted in my time in North Texas. Screaming racism because of (for example) lack of black GLOs is making a mountain out of a non-existent molehill.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,257 times
Don't feel bad I'm experiencing some problems as well. I'm from Maine so I'm the Dam Yankee

Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 PM

54 posts, read 152,835 times
This reminds me of a story. My mother was born in Granville, NY, on the Vermont border. Now, the folks in northern New England weren't just Damn Yankees to Southerners, they were Goddamn Yankees. Mom, on first moving to Fort Worth in 1940, was often called a Damn Yankee by the locals (it was all one word to Southerners). At one point, when she was invited to a get-together for the parents of the kids at my elder brother's new school, a Southern lady sidled up to her and asked, "Ain't yew one of them Damn Yankees?" To which Mom replied, "Nooooooooo, I'm a Goddamn Yankee, and everytime someone from the South throws it up to me, I get that much Goddamner!"

Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
Based on your post, if FW were to have all of those things, it wouldn't make a difference (since your big city up north has them and is still racist).

Having our own is no different in FW than it is in many other large cities. I've never felt slighted in my time in North Texas. Screaming racism because of (for example) lack of black GLOs is making a mountain out of a non-existent molehill.
Yep!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
RushG That had to be the dumbest sh** i've ever heard in my life only someone from the north would think like that. I'm from Alabama deep south i know what real racism is have seen it and be called a ***** to my face and we have black clubs and greeks and black shopes and a bunch or all black areas and still their is racism so that doesnt matter. I injoyin Texas nice people and good jobs open your mind and stop with that im form the north so im more black power then the rest of you cause it makes you look and sound like a northern fool!!!! Remember all the blacks that are in the north ran from the south the rest of us stayed to fight to be equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth