U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 17,348 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Fort Worth, Keller to be exact and I am feeling a little out of place. I've noticed there is not much African American presence out here. My children are involved in alot of activities and I can see the parents staring me up and down when I walk in. Is this normal? We spent a good amount on our house but definately not too much compared to California. My neighbors are a little snooty so I don't know if we are just out of our realm. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
Hiya - Im sorry you are having a tough beginning with your move. In getting my daughter into activities I have seen a lot of diversity in swimming, preschool and dancing.

Just being new (we moved out from CA in February) I have noticed that I have to be more forward than I am used to and comfortable with at times. My mom is involved in a local newcomers group and she has met a lot of people in the area. You might find a nice church that works for you that might help build a network of friends.

Don't look at your neighbors as snobby, just that they haven't had the pleasure of meeting you and getting to know you. And if they are still like that, then its their loss and move on.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,917,927 times
bhall909, I'm sure that when people in the neighborhood get to know you, you'll find them to be accepting. I'm sorry that you're feeling kind of "on the outside" right now but I'm sure that will change once people get to know you and your family. I'd like to welcome you to the Fort Worth area; I'm sure that you'll find a lot of positives about the area the longer you're here.
Cheers,

Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 38,869 times
I'm sorry to hear that. My wife and I, although not African American, are naturalized citizens of middle eastern descent and have lived in Fort Worth for about 10 years. We have never experienced any sort of racism personally.
I think people here are down to earth and life is laid back and relaxed. If Fort Worth was situated near mountains like Boulder Colorado, it would pretty much be perfect as far as I am cencerned.

Infact the only time we felt a bit racially uncomfortable was when my wife and I got paired for a round of golf with a couple visiting from California, a couple of years ago. There was a certain aura of arrogance and superiority about them - as if their **it did not smell - as if it was a privilige to be playing with them.

What area of FW are you in - BTW?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,041,458 times
bhall, welcome to the FW area. Sorry to hear you're feeling out of place and have a perception of racisim. No offense, but do you think you might be a little paranoid?

jamgolf, bhall is from Keller.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 AM

103 posts, read 623,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall909 View Post
I just moved to Fort Worth, Keller to be exact and I am feeling a little out of place. I've noticed there is not much African American presence out here. My children are involved in alot of activities and I can see the parents staring me up and down when I walk in. Is this normal? We spent a good amount on our house but definately not too much compared to California. My neighbors are a little snooty so I don't know if we are just out of our realm. Please help!

We live(d) (well, we're moving this weekend! YEAH!) on the outskirts of Keller, but in the city of Fort Worth. We are/were a part of the Keller ISD. I'm not sure what part of Keller you are in...but, in our area it isn't too snooty. As a matter of fact...everybody on our street looks after one another and their homes. We don't always talk to everybody daily because we all lead busy lives...but, a howdy wave and a smile is always a plus. We do speak often with a couple of neighbors, however. With this said...there is one family that does ignore our waves and smiles...so, we DO consider them the snooty neighbors (they are actually on the street off of ours near the corner).

Perhaps you can take the first step to get to know your neighbors?? Maybe introduce yourself, or have a bbq to get together. I'm not sure if your children have started school yet, or their ages...but, once school starts...perhaps they will make some more friends, which will, in turn...offer an opportunity for you to meet new friends as well.

As far as racism? Hmmm...I have never seen it in our area of Fort Worth. My daughter has several friends that are different races that she met with in our neighborhood and hangs out with, as well as school. As far as me? I don't have a social life...I work 10 hour days...lol...so, my only friends are online and my co-workers. Sad...isn't it? But, I am somewhat of a loner and a workaholic (or just plain too exhausted)...

I am SO sorry you have had a hard time!! I hope things get better!!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 AM

184 posts, read 785,740 times
I, too, am in the area where technically we are in Fort Worth but have a Keller address and our children attend Keller IDS. Not sure where in Keller you are but in my community there are a diversity of people. We are friends with a mixed race couple(he's african american and she's white) who live here as well.
I've just met a neighbor in our community who is from Massachusettes (white female) and her husband is from India. I'm from Florida and my husband is from Georgia and we are both white. But imo snooty isn't about color. I have people (white) who are my neighbors and they have acted totally snooty everytime I've tried to be friendly to them. Guess where these people are from?? California (I've been told they are snooty to others as well).
Are there some people who judge based on the color of someone's skin? Sure.
Are there people who judge based on the area of the country you come from? Sure.
Are there people who don't give a hoot about either of those?
Sure!
Show yourself friendly and you'll find that people are friendly back. If they aren't, move on and keep in mind this happens to white people all the time so don't assume it's just about color.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM

145 posts, read 568,782 times
We are a mixed race family living in Keller on the border of Southlake and there are times I feel slightly out of place as well. Since there are families from so many part of the U.S. out here, it's hard to know how people really feel about your family that looks different from theirs. I generally try to assume the best unless proven otherwise. Honestly, once people get to know us, all is fine. Sometimes I'm guilty of staring because I'm just happy to see more diversity out here! There are many people in Keller who will be very happy to be your friend and neighbor; I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. In other large metro areas it may not be the norm, but an open, friendly smile means a lot to native Texans when your trying to make friends.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM

3,855 posts, read 11,459,937 times
I don't know why you feel this way. Maybe there are a few rednecks in the area but I feel this place is pretty darned diverse. But maybe my veiw is a little skewed due to my background. I went to a high school that didn't have one black, hispanic, middle eastern, etc. student. It was kinda rural. But it was a real treat when we got the foreign exchange student from Japan. Tetsugi was awesome! Then I went away to a college that was 80% male and 85% white.

Then I come here and there are blacks, hispanics (some legal and some illegal), asians, mid eastern, African, etc. I don't know what the percentages are. But I come here and see so many different types of people all living in the same area and mostly all getting allong ok. I know in my neighborhood and especially my child's school we are actually the minority. Nobody looks at each other funny.....because we're all just about equally funny.

Are you sure they're "looking you up and down" or are they just simply looking at you? If you come into a situation nervous about how you will be veiwed then you may think the worst about it. Smile. Say Hi. It goes a long way regardless of what your skin color is.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall909 View Post
I am originally from Fort Worth and grew up there so I know the area. Fort Worth is segregated. Keller is considered to be an upper middle class White area. Yes it may be cheap compared to California but in Fort Worth is not considered that. You will find out most blacks live in the East or South sides of Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or