Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Lately I have found several small (like under 2 inches) lizzardy things in my house--they have a triangular/rounded head on a short neck--not sharp pointed and long-skinny like the little green/brown lizards--They show a mottled-light brown skin (almost translucent the smaller they are). Their tails end with black and white rings and has what looks like a little black tip, like it might be a stinger...I found my dog looking at something on the kitchen floor yesterday and it was just the tip off one of the tails and it was flailing away like crazy--after being pulled off of the lizard body which I found in the den a couple of feet away...I guess my dog had caught it and played with it and killed it--pulling the tail off in the process...She did not seem sick from having it in her mouth (if she did bite it--she could just have used her paws)

I see them occassionally running across the carpet but they are almost like shadows--blend in with color and are very quick...I hate to use pesticides in house although we do spray the yard for weeds and cinch bugs and stuff from time to time...

We have lived in this house for past 20+ years and I have only started seeing them this spring/summer...I know the wet weather might be one reason they are coming out but we have had rainy times before...
and they did not come out DURING the rain--

does anyone have any ideas about what they could be--if they could be poisonous--I am worried about my dog which is a min-Schanauzer and pretty curious...
I think she can even find these things in the yard when she goes out...

I am usually so disgusted I put them in the trash compactor and smash them but guess i should take the next one I find to the vet's and see if they can give me some info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
There is only one lizard in the world known to be poisonous: The Gila Monster which is native to Southwestern US and Mexico.

Poisonous Lizards

What you have is not at all likely to be a Gila Monster. They're harmless to you. They may be a little annoying though if they're in your house. Most lizards eat bugs though so if they are living in your house then they are probably chowing on bugs in there. So in that sense they're doing you a favor.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 AM

Cophosaurus texanus

Maybe one of these???

Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Could it be a gecko? If so, they're harmless. I love 'em!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM

I know they aren't Gila monters--
and they are not the ones on the link drjones sent--those have too small/narrow a head and a skinny body---
the black/grey gecko has hands like theirs and the head is more like theirs but the body is too skinny--these bodies are pretty wide--wider than their heads--but the tail looks like theirs...

I googled a little bit but could not find a picture of one that looked that close to mine...
mine have a kind of pudgy, soft, flat body--does not have a real domed type of spine--the arms/legs have little hands with 4 or 5 fingers/claws --again--creepy looking to me...

they are just weird and the idea that they can crawl under the door and get into the house just makes me a little paranoid--I walk barefoot in the house all the time and would hate to step on one ---yuck...

Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 AM

Yeah definitely take a picture of one next time you see one.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM

that is the point--I hope I DON'T see one...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM

My wife is very very very afraid of the creepy crawlies. It doesn't bother me too much. I just 'shoo' stuff away generally. I don't like to kill animals (live and let live....but I sure apprieciate a good steak ). Our 9 yr old daughter is like Bindy Irwin. She wants to study all animals and every living thing is cute to her.....even spiders. I don't go that far.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 PM

25 posts, read 99,099 times
Loves2read, do you live in Ft Worth? I ask because I'm trying to find the city in Tx with the least bugs/creepy crawlies.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:51 AM

there is no city in TX with the least bugs/creepy crawlies--
that is foolish thinking--TX is just such a wonderfully fecund state that every thing grows great here --
including tall tales, credit card debt, transfers from California and Florida, taxes, tract housing, toll roads, coal-fired power plants, average ozone days, children w/o health insurance ---

get yourself a good Orkin man and that should take care of the bug problem...except for mosquitos--get some purple martin houses for that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth