Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM

8 posts, read 20,616 times

Advertisements

FiddleDeeD,

You may be right, and I might be happier in Dallas. If I did not have a kid, this is probably what I would go for. But with a kid, things are different. I looked into that, and was not sure about how it is going to work with the schools and the commute... As for the land, of course, if it works out, it is nice to have, but it is much more important for me and my family to fit in socially.

In my posts above I did not claim my college was 'interesting', but in any large city, any college becomes 'interesting' and can easily receive 200 or even more applications for a position. I am aware of a case when almost 2000 candidates applied for a position in a not so interesting college in a very interesting place to live. In any case, this is not a main topic of the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:34 PM

11,835 posts, read 26,765,502 times
East Dallas to Hurst is absolutely out of the question! The commute would be HORRIBLE! I would eastimate at least 45 minutes each way, and even longer if there is bad weather or a wreck in traffic. (I drive from Grapevine to Mesquite once a month on a Saturday morning, and it takes me 45 minutes with no traffic, so I do know what I am talking about.) NO WAY would I sign up to do that on a daily basis, especially if I had a child waiting for me at home. Those 90 minutes a day could be better spent at home with the family than in a car. There is also the extra gas, tires, wear and tear on the car, etc. that will add up. Dallas County's property taxes and car insurance are also more expensive than Tarrant County.

There is Tarrant County College's NE Campus in Hurst, and it is pretty big.

I think it's a good idea for you to rent first, and buy later when your price range can be increased and once you have gotten a feel for the communities in NE Tarrant County. After a few months of renting and going out and about, I'm sure one or two communities will "speak" to you more than the others!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM

425 posts, read 993,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleol View Post
In my posts above I did not claim my college was "interesting"
I think you might have misunderstood what the poster meant by "interesting". I believe he (she?) meant that the fact that there was a college in Hurst was unknown to him, so learning this news was "interesting", not specifically that the college was "interesting".

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
DBU on Grapevine Hwy 26--border of Colleyville and Hurst--probably most people who see it consider it in Colleyville
TCC also has campus in Hurst--corner of Harwood/Precinct Line and Hwy 26

Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
DBU on Grapevine Hwy 26--border of Colleyville and Hurst--probably most people who see it consider it in Colleyville
You're probably right; I'm a student there - the campus is called Hurst-Colleyville, but the address is listed as being in Hurst.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 AM

14 posts, read 23,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
East Dallas to Hurst is absolutely out of the question! The commute would be HORRIBLE!
Yeaaaasssssss, absolutely a nightmare to me!!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
how would you rank going to DBU at that location--are there enough courses offered that you need to take--are there day AND night classes--are the instructors mainly adjunct or some of them tenure track

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM

loves2read - I only started there last fall, so my experience may not be typical...

At the Hurst campus, there are only evening or Saturday classes; no daytime classes during the week.

As far as I can tell, the instructors are mainly adjunct.

The classes offered are a mix of "core" subject and management classes, which is great for me, because I'm doing my BBS in Management. (There may be other subjects offered, but to be honest, I haven't looked into classes that aren't core or in my major).

The beauty of DBU in my opinion is that in addition to the regular semesters, they offer a *lot* of fast-track classes - for example last semester during fall break, I took a full semester's worth of class in one week (2 full Saturdays, and 5pm-10pm Monday-Friday); they offer those kinds of classes during every break - spring, fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, and they offer several different options for summer. I'm signed up for a senior grade management class this upcoming spring break.

For the classes that I will need to take that may not be offered on campus, I have the option of taking classes online; I don't ever see the need to take a class on the main campus (we'll see how that changes in the coming years!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth