U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 12,480 times

Advertisements

I considering building in Westlake. We like the Westlake Academy. It seems to be strong academically. I understand that the elementary grades are very strong. However, I heard a few families pull there kids out when they reach middle/high school because of the lack of electives. This is somewhat concerning.

So if you not happy with Westlake Academy later in your kid's academic progress then you either have your ISD or private schools. We really love the Vaquero neighborhood. The houses, building standards, safety, topography, etc... are superior than any comparing neighborhood. However, it is within the Keller ISD. Although not bad, Carroll ISD seems to have the better reputation. The other main option is the new neighborhood of Terra Bella, which is in Carroll ISD.

Which woulld be a better investment for resale, building in Vaquero or Terra Bella?

Do you think the ISD would matter in the long run if most families move to Westlake because of the Academy anyways?

Is the Westlake Academy the main draw for families moving to Westlake?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Original Poster here,

Also does anyone know if most of the families in Glenwyck Farms (or the other properties on the Carroll ISD side of Westlake) send their kids to the Westlake Academy or do they send them to Carroll ISD?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,494 times
Since we live in Keller, I will try to answer a bit about WA. My 2 sons have attended Westlake Academy since its inception (2003). This year, my oldest will graduate and attend TCU. There is a lack of electives, but we weighed that against the wonderful education our boys are getting and IB came out on top.
I do believe that WA is the main draw for families moving to Westlake. Although I have heard that several families in Vaquero send their kids to private schools. And I know that some kids have pulled out to attend Carroll schools and gone on to private as well.
A tour of the school is a good idea.
Good luck.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 PM

cduncan90,

Thank you for the information.

Could you tell me why families have pulled out of the Westlake Academy and chosen Carroll ISD or private school?

I know there are many strengths for Westlake Academy. Could you share what you and others feel are areas that need improvement?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM

211 posts, read 259,308 times
Here's a real off-the-wall comment....have you considered building in Mira Vista or Montserrat in FW and sending your children to one of the amazing independent schools within just a few miles of either one? Or remodeling an old home in Westover Hills or Rivercrest?

If proximity to the airport is a concern, then I understand, or if you want acreage to build on, but if you are looking to build a gorgeous home in an exclusive neighborhood, you might consider the above.

Just sayin....

Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,090 times
Hello. Our family is one of the founding families of WA as well. Our children have spent a lot of time there and are doing very well. There are a host of reasons family's have pulled their children out. Unlike a traditional school system, if it does not work you pull your kids out. If you are in an ISD you either tough it out or move so it is not quite as visible when/why a family makes a change.

In short just like anything else in life WA is not the perfect scenario for every child. Just as we see some families move out of CISD to KISD or GCISD to get a better mix for their children. I do know that the "pressures" we see on children of the same age at other schools either do not exist or are much more subdubed at WA.

Our girls are doing great. We have many friends with older children who are doing well and the amount of scholarships offered to our first graduating class was MASSIVE. Something else that was not noted was the number of students offered positions at UT Austin. They have limits on how many they can take from each school. They exceeded that limit with WA students.

As a builder and realtor in the area, we know Terra Bella & Vaquero as well as other communities. We see many families make many decisions about schools. No school is perfect for every child, however, WA is a GREAT fit for our kids.

Both communities have pros/cons. In my opinion your lot selection, home design and budget are the most important factors. Building too big or too small of a home on the wrong lot can create more problems than a school district.

FYI - More electives are coming and we have a full athletic program.

Last edited by garabedian; 03-20-2011 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: left out info on lot selection

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,780,771 times
Quote:
Unlike a traditional school system, if it does not work you pull your kids out. If you are in an ISD you either tough it out or move so it is not quite as visible when/why a family makes a change.
?? what does this mean? "not quite as visible why you leave?"
if you live in Westlake and pull your kids bercause it's not a right "fit" for your child, are you looked down upon?

I think it would be an amazing place for some kids, but not all kids will thrive in a very small class size school with a very rigorious program.

Also I just noticed that Westlake had only 1 National Merit semi finalist...

compare that to the small private schools in the area...St Marks, Hockaday,Jesuit, Cistercian etc...
That number seems very low.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM

211 posts, read 259,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
if you live in Westlake and pull your kids bercause it's not a right "fit" for your child, are you looked down upon?

I think it would be an amazing place for some kids, but not all kids will thrive in a very small class size school with a very rigorious program.

compare that to the small private schools in the area...St Marks, Hockaday,Jesuit, Cistercian etc...
The schools that you mentioned are not really small. And they are also very well-established, unlike WA. I'm curious as to why you compared WA to Dallas schools and not FW schools. There are also some schools in FW that measure up very well. Fort Worth Country Day, Trinity Valley School, or Paschal H.S....all in Fort Worth have several NMS.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM

353 posts, read 680,820 times
Quote:

Westlake Academy's very first graduating class had only 23 students. 1 National Merit scholar out of 23 isn't bad at all. You can't compare those numbers to any of the schools that you mentioned. As well, Westlake is a public/charter school - the others are private. No comparison.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

353 posts, read 680,820 times
Quote:

Why would someone look down on a child/parent for making the decision to leave a school? That's silly and that doesn't happen. Just like any other school, if someone decides it's not the right fit, they move on without social repercussions.

Yes, not all kids can thrive in such a rigorous program. Class size has absolutely nothing to do with that. From what I can see, there is very little movement and our turnover ratio is quite low.

Yes, many people move to Westlake for the academy. Most families in Westlake send their children to the academy. There are even a few that may have 1 or two at Westlake Academy and another in a private school or Carroll or Keller ISD. Families choose this option for many reasons. Those reasons are personal and unique to them. The great thing about living in the Town of Westlake is that you have more choices than someone who lives in the neighboring towns. Therefore, you may see movement where you wouldn't at a local public school because there are no other "free" options. I hope that makes things a bit more clear for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth