Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 33,182 times

Advertisements

Can someone please help me to determine if it floods in Mira Lagos? Is there a history of flooding? I really love that area but I am concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 PM

394 posts, read 1,257,070 times
Mira Lagos (Grand Prairie, Mansfield ISD) has HUGE drainage bayous running through the main drive of the neighborhood. I've never heard of it flooding there. I think they have it under control. Seriously, the drainage bayous are impressive over there - Houston-like.

Others on the board may have more flood info. I've never heard of any flooding down there.

-Eric

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
you can always find out if flood insurance is required/recommended for homes in the area......that's a sign of flood issues...

Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
call the city planning/zoning board
that section is one that usually deals with flood zones and would know if there were flooding issues

I am sure that because of the drainage through the development FEMA might zone at least the houses that border that canal as "flood zone"
you can check FEMA maps but that is a very tedious process--been there/done that

just Google for "flooding+Mira Lagos" and see if you get hits

if there was flooding in there during past years when the DFW area DID have some serious flooding in some neighborhoods then the info will be in the news

Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 33,182 times
Thank you! I have been on google for days and could not get a precise data. So thank you again for the info.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:45 PM

July 2004 High Water at Joe Pool 006 pictures from power boating photos on webshots

that is lake flooding--so not necessarily at Mira Lagos

City of Grand Prairie : Floodplain
link to Flooding web page for city of Grand Prairie

http://www.gptx.org/Modules/ShowDocu...documentid=416

We own house in Bedford that backs to a creek/overflow channel for heavy rain--goes NORTH to Little Bear Creek arm--a creek flowing north is very unusual since most water flows south
We don't live there--rent it to our son--but got letter from our mortgage company saying that house was in floodplain because of new FEMA maps--
tried to find out what had changed regarding why now it was in flood plain when it has not flooded at all in 25 yrs it has been built--
nothing different but the fact that FEMA got slapped when the flooding happened in 04 an several people in FTW area were killed from being caught in flood water--
some homes were lost to erosion from flood waters--some neighborhoods bordering creeks had real problem with erosion of lots

SO FEMA decided to revise flood maps--w/o doing any new on-the-ground- surveys--
they just arbitrarily increased the areas they considered were LIKELY to flood at some time in the future--it was just a CYA move--

we got a local survey company to resurvey our lot/house and submit letter of map amendment--
which was accepted--so we did not have to carry flood ins on the house
because we had a concrete wall built along our yard/creek bed border--part of our back corner was like 2 inches lower than rest of the yard and it fell into the Flood Zone estimate--
so that corner of the lot is in flood zone--but house is not--and the lot won't flood un til the area north of our house has flooded severely and backed up to our lot/house

talk to the city --I have someone very helpful with City of Bedford give me some maps of the old and new flood zone--which showed how our lot was effected by the new FEMA maps
some people in our neighborhooh bordering the creek had the same problem--and some did not--
made absolutely no sense to me how FEMA did it

Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 PM

394 posts, read 1,257,070 times
This site might help, too.

Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information

Good luck.

-Eric

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM

except that site is geared to sell flood insurance--
it will rate areas in certain zones as "flood worthy" when technically they are not IN the zone requiring insurance--
so it is not really that accurate
I know because I plugged in lots of addresses in my old neighborhood when we did get the letter from our bank saying our house was in enlarged flood zone--
it had a house that was up the street from up--and realistically probably 20 ft out of flood stage or more--and said that it should have flood insurance--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth