U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Not sure if i am in the right area but i am from Australia and we are coming on a holiday going to Orlando for 2 weeks and then would like to come to fort worth or a week in late october.
What is the weather like in October? Can anyone give me ideas on things to do also accommodation for a family preferably a 2 bedroom apartment we have a 7 and 9 year old. I have been looking on Fort Worth convention and visitors bureau website and they have many hotels on there but would really like a 2 bedroom hotel o similar.
Any info would be greatly appreciated we have not been to your part of America before and would like to make it unforgettable.

Thank you for you help
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM

427 posts, read 537,645 times
The weather in October is very pleasant - it's usually fairly mild, especially compared to the summer. You might need a light jacket for the evening, but that's about it.

Other than getting two hotel rooms with adjoining doors, I think there aren't a great deal of options for a 2 bedroom hotel room. I love the Country Inn & Suites chain, which has a bedroom with a king size bed, and a separate living room with a sofa bed. Are your children the same gender?

I'm originally from Melbourne, Australia myself (but have lived in the US for 19 years); welcome to Fort Worth - there are lots of things to do and see for a family here:

- Stockyards
- Fort Worth Zoo
- Botanical Gardens
- Sixth Floor museum (in Dallas)
- Grapevine vintage railway from Grapevine to the Stockyards.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM

14,652 posts, read 28,039,690 times
late october is usually nice weather here but you won't be swimming unless there is heated pool--
could have rain quite a bit--just depends

you might consider VRBO--which are homes people rent out--if you want an apt I assume you want the kitchen/living aspect so your children have room to move about
although FTW does not really have very many like a resort area such as San Diego would offer

you can also check out some hotels called Residence Inns--there are several in FTW--they have variety of floorplans--some with two bedrooms/2 baths and some with just an extra sleeper sofa
any US chain that has SUITES in the name usually means living area with sleeper sofa and some type of kitchen facility--but Residence Inns have full kitchen--fridge/oven/cooktop/microwave with eating space like table or kitchen bar/stools -- usually two bedroom units have upstairs/down--so you could put the children upstairs if you like that safety aspect

IF you are willing to stay outside FTW a little ways you might consider one or two nights at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine--resort hotel with interior water park open all year long--
Grapevine has nice historial downtown with restaurants/shopping--has an historical steam locomotive that makes trip to the Stockyards in FTW--might only run weekends at that time of the year--but has website so you can check schedules
Lego Land at GrapevineMills mall--expensive and if there is one in Orlando you probably don't need to go to this one
some other activities like Main Event--bowling/arcade/-- Climbing Wall gyn close to that
Grapevine Lake

My suggestion would also be that you check out San Antonio in Central TX and the Hill Country around it--the time of the year would make it warmer in San Antonio--there is lot of TX history there with the Alamo, the San Antonio Missions, the San Antonio Zoo is good, there is Fiesta TX and Sea World there Austin our state capital is less than an hour drive
Kerrville is 30 min away and so are other towns with some history so you can see the Western aspect of TX there as well as here

San Antonio has an international airport if you are planning to fly home from DFW but it is not as large as DFW

Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Hi thanks for your reply.
Wow another aussie do you come home much?
I have just found one it's the Embassy Suites Hotels. DO YOU KNOW THAT ONE? I just would like one hotel room with 2 rooms. Yes my kids are girls. My sister came over september last year and they had a stop in fort worth to change planes and they said they would like to go back there. I have a week to fill up after we finish at Disneyland as we would like to be over there for 4weeks. Unless you have any other suggetions? I like the idea of going to a rodeo and maybe take the kids on a horse ride as they love animals especially horses. The website i have been looking at makes me want to come now been tossing over many areas including vancouver.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks love2read my god that was heaps of info and you have given me lots of ideas. Grapevine looks good and san antono hotels have kidsclubs that they get to do lots of stuff. Would an idea be to hire a car and stay in fort worth for a couple of nights then a cuple of nights in san antonio then back to fort worth or can you catch a flight from san antonio to LA. Is it any cheaper to fly from fort worth. Is there any other places on the drive you would suggest to visit.
Thank you both you are very helpful

Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM

6,767 posts, read 11,054,202 times
Embassy SUites would be perfect for you. They also have a very nice breakfast every morning included with the room.

Dallas and Fort Worth share an airport, DFW International. San Antonio's airport is MUCH smaller, and unless you fly on Southwest Airlines, you will likely be flying back to Dallas to connect to LA.

Be sure and go to the Fort Worth Stockyards. It is a unique Texas experience! Fort Worth Stockyards

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM

427 posts, read 537,645 times
Actually, after May, you don't have to connect from DFW to LA - Qantas is going to start flying directly to and from Australia out of DFW - that's great news for those of us with relatives in Australia

I would recommend renting a car, and seeing a little bit of the state while you are here. My parents visited from Australia last Christmas, and we drove from Fort Worth down to Houston, visited the Johnston Space Center, and then Galveston; from there, we headed across to San Antonio to visit The Alamo, and the River Walk. From San Antonio, we drove to Austin, saw the capital, and had dinner overlooking Lake Travis, and then headed home. It was a whirlwind trip, because my husband didn't have much vacation time, but they got to see a lot of this part of the country - they had visited my several times when I lived in Chicago, but this was their first visit to Texas. They loved it.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM

14,652 posts, read 28,039,690 times
You just have to consider what type of vacation you want--
some children would not want to spend hours in a car driving down the road (especially a freeway) and maybe stopping for 30 min of sightseeing in one spot after three hours

Embassy suites can be great place--I think the quality of the hotel sometimes varies a great deal--
we have stayed in them and similar SUITE type hotels before--like any hotel you take your chance on varying quality of stay

One thing I will say about hotels that offer "free breakfasts" where guests help themselves to breakfast if you are not familiar with that feature of hotel stays
is that in general --the more "full" the hotel the night before--the more crowded the breakfast rooms the next morning
sometimes it is difficult to eat without having to almost fight for place in line--tables can be small and space crowded--some people read their free papers sitting there and ignore people looking for a place to sit to eat their breakfast--it can be as frustrating as it is helpful -- and it is not "free" since it is included in the price of your room whether you actually eat there or not--they won't take it off if you don't eat there because you are checking out early or any other reason

MOST of the larger towns in TX have some wonderful activities/sights for people to visit--
there are +/- to spending time in Fort Worth or San Antonio/Hill Country or Houston/Galveston--(Gulf water too cold for swimming in Oct as would be our lakes)

I would suggest that you Google for TEXAS SIGHTSEEING and see what pops up--
the state has some great websites for tourist info -- the specific cities also have great web sites with info for tourists

TripAdvisor.com is good commercial travel site because it has FORUMS where people post info about stays at hotels, restaurants, and other info points that people might ask about--
Fodors and Frommers also have forum boards plus info from their travel guides

there are resorts/places outside San Antonio around Bandera and Kerrville which are dude ranches and would offer you lots of horse related activities and you could drive into SA for other tourist sightseeing

My husband and I love driving vacations--our kids were good in the car--would read or listen to music (this was well before portable DVD players in cars) and then we would get out to do sightseeing along the way--maybe have picnic lunches--

but some children are not happy to do that--and if you are traveling w/o another adult then YOU as the driver should not really be doing any sightseeing while driving---
driving here on strange roads for long distances might not be that much fun--

it is a BUSY drive of 5 hours or so from Houston to San Antonio on I-10 and the only place I would stop along that drive would be in Luling TX for City Market BBQ--the BEST BBQ in TX--and might not what you might consider "smoked" or grilled meat to be--but I promise you --
if you go there and eat the brisket and sausage and DON"T like it--send me your receipt and I will pay for your meal--
City Market - Luling, TX

and about 4.5 from DFW to San Antonio--on a VerY BUSY I-35 going through Austin and close enough to Luling again to make a stop there worthwhile
or you can take the back roads through Stephenville and down through the Hill Country--much prettier drive with some small towns along the way but longer

there are flights to DFW from SA--of course--but what type of budget are you going to have for your vacation--rght now a flight from DFW to LA is running 400 a ticket round trip for June flight--if you fly one way the price might be around 250 each person --

Southwest which flies out of Love Field in Dallas--vs DFW International--often has low cost fares from Love to SA but you have to get to them early--and flying into Love would mean a driving transfer via cab/shuttle (expensive) to DFW International

IF you are still considering coming to TX on your way home and
IF you are considering driving outside the DFW/San Antonio areas
I would really suggest you check out this web site for what I think is the newest TX state park

Texas Hill Country Resort - Canyon of the Eagles, A Calibre Resort in Burnet, TX

This has great location on Lake Buchannan--one of the Hill Country lakes--and offers some activities that your kids might really enjoy--
they can have a horse-back riding activity at close by location,
do the Vanishing TX river cruise on the Lake and see some Bald Eagles in their natural habitat if they are lucky
Vanishing Texas River Cruise : Canyon of the Eagles : Eco Tours : Colorado River : Lake Buchanan

there is even possible opportunity to take special cruise to release eagles/raptors which have been injured back into the wild--there is one scheduled for Oct 16--

Year Round Cruises - Vanishing Texas River Cruise :: Canyon of the Eagles :: Ecological Cruise :: Colorado River :: Lake Buchanan Texas

it is wonderful park --they do a winery tour and a fall foliage tour but if you don't care for the nature exposure don't know if it would be that special when it is pretty isolated from other areas/activities for sightseeing--the other sightseeing event around there might be Longhorn Caverns--
Daily Tours - Longhorn Cavern State Park

there are plenty of places to stay along the chain of Highland Lakes in small towns--there are homes or cabins or motels but with the water being chilly don't know that it would be as enjoyable as during the summer months but driving down that way through Fredericksburg into San Antonio is a nice trip and chance to see somethng of TX beside highway frontage on a freeway

Frankly I don't think there is really any place in the major tourist areas that you could go wrong--
they are all great with lots of options for activities and sightseeing and great food
it just depends on how you want to spend your time and what YOUR interests are

if your girls are into science and natural history--outside FTW in Glen Rose there are is a dinasour park with fossilized footprints
you can visit a WildLife preserve and sleep out in tents--at the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose as well
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center

I could plan a great vacation for you in any location but to really enjoy your time and maximize the experience I think I would suggest that you choose ONE area to focus on vs trying to see all of them

Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,130 times
The Sheraton downtown is also very nice. I would trust tripadvisor.com when looking for reviews.
I agree with all of the other sentiments posted. I am a Fort Worth local, but if you have the time there is far more to see in Texas than Fort Worth. However, here are some other suggestions

Museums:
Science & History Museum, great great great for kids, just redone including the IMAX theatre
Art: Kimball & Modern, both world renowned, Sid Richardson Western Art museum is my personal
favorite though.

Entertainment:
Bass Performance Hall: is always special. It's a really beautiful space.
Fort Worth Zoo: Can't miss, I love zoos and have been to at least a dozen and so far, the San
Diego zoo is the only one that I could say even compares.
TCU Football: If you've ever wanted to experience American style football you might
have the chance to see an especially good American College team play if they are playing at
home that week. The Dallas Cowboys professional team might also be playing then, but tickets
are incredibly expensive.
Sundance Square: The downtown square provides ample shopping and some of the best dining,
very very safe as it heavily policed.
Fossil Rim/Dinosaur Valley State Park: These are both in Glen Rose, about a 1.5 hour drive, but a
very scenic and pleasant one. Here your girls can feed all sorts of animals from the car on a self-
driven tour and at the State Park see real dinosaur footprints.

Shopping: It might be worth driving 30 miles east to Dallas for the shopping at Northeast Mall and the Galleria Mall. Highland Park Village is also very pleasant, but very expensive. Dallas is home to Niemen Marcus.

Restaurants: Joe T Garcia’s, the Mexican food is just average, but the outdoor atmosphere with a
margarita is tough to beat.
Reatta: Steaks, Seafood etc. all cooked with a Texas influence, something for everyone.
Great views of downtown from the rooftop seating

Horse Riding: I think there are some operators that do trail ride tours of Lake Benbrook and Mineral Wells state park. This is an excellent way to take in the local fauna. I was taught to ride by an Aussie
and you will find the western style saddles very similar to yours.

Weather: Everyone is else is pretty much spot on. The weather here can change quickly so a keeping a light jacket handy would be a great idea. Likely it will be no warmer than 80F and no cooler than the 50F.

Other Advice: Would definitely rent a car if you are comfortable driving on the right with a left hand drive. Almost all rentals are automatic transmissions.

Anyhow, hope this helps. We are headed to Perth to visit some friends in January next year, don't know if that's anywhere near you, but would love any quick advice on what to see/do.

Best Regards and welcome to Texas!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,130 times
My wife flies from Fort Worth to San Antonio at least once a month for business. The best airline for that is Southwest Airlines. You can find roundtrip tickets for $200 dollars US including tax if you book far enough in advance. You will need to go to Love Field Airport 30 miles to the East, but their are shuttles that can take you. The drive from Fort Worth to San Antonio is about 4.5 hours, but can be much longer if you pass through Austin during rush hour. I would plan to make the drive in the middle
of the day and maybe stop in Austin for lunch and take in a site or two. San Antonio is a great city, much larger than Fort Worth, but still very freindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth