Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 24,729 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for areas/neighborhoods that are safe near WH or WS? Safety is the most important thing for me. I'm willing to go to $1100 or so a month for a place.

I'm looking for a place in that area because I want to be close to work. Or am I making a mistake and would I be better off by moving elsewhere? I will be new to the area and am not sure how bad commutes can get.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
Google for a crime map--
Westover Hills is area of west FTW that is mainly an older neighborhood with expensive homes--
the area around it is kind of sketchy from what I remember drving to party a couple of times at my husband's boss's house there---
woman who is his bookkeeper was robbed at gun point couple of years ago when she was parked on street in front of his house--he was having security cameras installed on property at that time which is why she could not get into driveway--
so I think even Westover Hills homes can have problems--

White Settlement is another area I would not really feel safe living in--but that is my perception from driving through on the freeway and going to some volleyball games when my daughter was in high school and played in gyms in that general area

check out a crime map and see what comes up

There might be some areas close to your work that are pretty problem free--just make sure you choose a time period longer than a month--like a 6 mo period

Traffic on west side of FTW along the 820 Loop is not as bad as the other 3 sides
and getting into downtown from the west side takes probably 15 min in the AM--just depends on where you are going and how you get there

Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM

I looked up crimes and it seems like all of Fort Worth is filled with crime

i was hoping i could get help from personal experience as far as neighborhoods known to be safe, anywhere, be it close to white settlement or not.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 PM

211 posts, read 492,420 times
Westover Hills is the most upscale neighborhood in FW. There are no rental properties there at all. I'm sure there are crime issues, but there is also a huge security force around Westover. They have their own police dept. as well as the Bass' security. I have always felt extremely safe whenever I've been there, but I feel that way all over Fort Worth for the most part.

The neighborhood closest to it that you could possibly rent in is the Ridgmar area, and yes, there would be some crime issues there. White Settlement is a totally different neighborhood. Much more middle class.

You should drive around and see what I'm talking about before you make any decisions. The internet doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM

what are some of the known safer neighborhoods where i can rent in fort worth, irrespective of location?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
how much can you afford to pay and understand that you will be paying electric at least of the utilities
are you willing to live in condo/apt or do you need yard
do you need garage parking or open lot
how long of a commute are you willing to make--where are you working--
that area might be more unsafe than where you rent and thus the more vulnerable location for you

for 1100 I think you can live in Downtown FTW in one bedroom or studio--Sundance Sq area or So7 across the river and those areas are very safe-to me
you can walk around in Sundance Sq almost any time of day or night and not have problem because of the Bass cops that patrol and because FTW does not have large street population like Dallas does

you can rent in Hulen/Bryant Irwin area and I would say that is also safe--

any town has crime to certain extent--
it is the types of crimes and frequencies that shift--the heirarchy of crime scale
ID thefts is not big deal
random car burglaries o vandalism are much less threatening to me than home burglaries
and those are less threatening than shootings or rapes or murders

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
how much can you afford to pay and understand that you will be paying electric at least of the utilities
are you willing to live in condo/apt or do you need yard
do you need garage parking or open lot
how long of a commute are you willing to make--where are you working--
that area might be more unsafe than where you rent and thus the more vulnerable location for you

for 1100 I think you can live in Downtown FTW in one bedroom or studio--Sundance Sq area or So7 across the river and those areas are very safe-to me
you can walk around in Sundance Sq almost any time of day or night and not have problem because of the Bass cops that patrol and because FTW does not have large street population like Dallas does

you can rent in Hulen/Bryant Irwin area and I would say that is also safe--

any town has crime to certain extent--
it is the types of crimes and frequencies that shift--the heirarchy of crime scale
ID thefts is not big deal
random car burglaries o vandalism are much less threatening to me than home burglaries
and those are less threatening than shootings or rapes or murders
I'm willing to go high as $1200 per month on rent alone. And obviously more for utilities, I don't mind. But I'm looking for a townhouse, that would be ideal. No apartments or condos. For commute I don't mind how long it is so long as I'm guaranteed safety where I live. I'm not worried about the safety of my work area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth