Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 46,803 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My family will relocate to Dallas area in July. My job will be in Denton while my wife will be around Dallas/Irving.
We have two kids who are going to school. So we will need a place with good schools.
Our budget is 400K for the house.

At begining, we were looking at Flower Mound, but I heart gas drilling is a quite heated issue over there. Is the gas drilling a big issue? Actually, how deep will the gas drilling affect those involved cities?

Please give us any suggestions! Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
Flower mound, Lewisville or Coppell shouldall be good places that are "in the middle".

Schools, I would rank in this order:
1)Coppell
2)Flowermound
3)Lewisville

Housing prices most $$ to least$$
1)Coppell
2)Flowermound
3)Lewisville

Flowermound puts you closer to Denton and Coppell puts you closer to Dallas.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Thank you for your help!
Will Coppell has the gas drilling issue? How about Southlake?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Southlake has blocked it for now.
I don't think there is any in Coppell.

But really as others have said it's not that big of an issue. Be careful where you buy, know that if you back up to an open field, it could one day have a walmart or a gas well on it.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Will there be high social pressure in Southlake?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
there is high social pressure in many towns around here--
for adults and their kids--even in smaller towns with less expensive housing--
there is heirarchy of expectations and judgements

Some people are effected by it more than others I guess--
400K is going to put you in the low end of housing in Southlake==
check out the other side of CD where the demographics of the towns are shown

Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 PM

^ 400k is lower end of housing in Southlake.
Most will be 500k and up.

There is alot of keeping up with the Jones' in Southlake. But as Loves2 statedthat is everywhere it seems. It really doesn't come into play too much until MS and then HS it is very competitive. Cars, clothing, vacations etc...

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

21 posts, read 56,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingstuck View Post
Will there be high social pressure in Southlake?
I would suggest that there is no community in Tarrant Co where this type pressure would be higher than in Southlake (actually, make that very few communities in all of N. Texas?. If this is a concern for you, Southlake is the one community you should avoid at all cost - again, IF this is a concern of yours.

Listen to 5stones above, that post is dead on accurate. I think you could perhaps add NorthWest ISD to that short list as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingstuck View Post
Will Coppell has the gas drilling issue?
There is drilling site approved by City of Coppell on Fellowship Church property.

There is a Coppell Westside Gas Coalition consisting of 20 Sub divisions who collectively bargained with the drilling company.

Sendero Energy paid a $637,000 signing bonus for 150 acres of the Coppell city property west of Denton Tap Road. Coppell city will receive 20 percent of the royalties.

Coppell ISD signed a gas lease with Chesapeake Energy on 160 acres of their school property. The deal will give the district $724,000 up front and royalties following drilling and production. Not sure when this lease is expiring/ due for renewal.

Lot of land in Coppell has been drilled in DFW airport but its not regulated by the City of Coppell.

This is not an issue for most people.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
for what it is worth--there are approx 20 houses in MLS for sale in Southlake between 330K and 400K--most of them were built in the 80s--some of them are on larger lots like acre or more--and the degree of "dated" interior varies by house
and yes--that is the tip of the iceberg as far as housing in Southlake goes--but so what--
it is much better to own the least expensive house in subdivision usually than the most

for most of them putting money into the house for things like removing wallpaper, updating baths/kitchens is something that will carry over when it is sold again--depending on your choices and your time line

I don't think that Southlake is as pervasively materialistic as it is described by people on this forum who don't live there
any area can be materialistic and have peer-pressure--
much of society--especially teens/young adults--can be VERY affected by advertising/merchandising and their peers
no matter where they live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth